A Day Trip to Charleston, South Carolina

by DanicasDaily on November 17, 2011

Happy Friday Eve all!  Thanks for letting me know that I need to try “Fresh Green Boiled Peanuts” versus canned.  It actually really makes sense because I am a big fan of fresh, not canned, fruits & vegetables.  I think we may be checking out the Hilton Head Farmer’s Market tomorrow (gahhhhhhh, I am so excited!) so I will search for the Peanut Man! LOL….

Today we decided to head over to Charleston, South Carolina for a day trip.  We started our trip at the Visitors Center to see what there is to do.

It is actually pretty overwhelming because there are a ton of things to do in Charleston from taking a tour (trolley, bus, carriage, walking) to visiting the lighthouse, museums, old buildings, aquairum (they have a white alligator!), etc..  There is so much history and character in Charleston that it is incredible.

While we pondered what to do, we decided to hop onto the FREE Trolley that takes you all over downtown so we could see where we wanted to go back and check out.

Stop #1 ~ the Moon Pie store!

We picked up a vanilla and chocolate to try although I really wanted banana.

The ingredients are totally on my not so good list, but, you know what ~ it’s part of experiencing the south and I didn’t want to miss out.  The entire pie is 6 points+.

I had 2 bites and gave it to The Husband.  He LOVED it, I thought it was just ok ~ I think it was a texture thing for me.

A few of you recommended a carriage ride as a great way to tour Charleston ~ Stop #2 ~ the Big Red Barn.

While we waited we talked to Marvin like he would talk back to us like Mr. Ed or something.

CHEEEEESE!

Our tour took us through downtown, “The Battery” and all along the water.

IMG_9520IMG_9538IMG_9556

These stairs were developed back in the day when men were not allowed to see women’s legs.  Men would enter on the left, and women on the right……because…..

Well, women are always right Winking smile

The houses in The Battery are some of the oldest houses in Charleston and the history of each one is truly fascinating.

Our tour guide was awesome ~ I wish I could’ve shared all her knowledge with you all…all I can say is if you are wondering what to do in Charleston ~ take the Carriage Ride ~ it’s like no other ride and definitely better than being cooped up in a bus or car.

After our Carriage Ride, we walked around the city and through The “French Quarters”……

and the City Market.

The City Market is pretty cool because it is full of local vendors who are making items that are unique to Charleston like these hand woven baskets.

I am 100 million % IN LOVE with Benne Wafters (aka Sesame Cookie Crackers).

If you have ever eaten sesame candy, it is sorta like that…..super crunchy, slightly sweet & salty with a big sesame crunchy that just melts in your mouth.

My favorite sign of the day Open-mouthed smile

Other signs that had us laughing for a bit…..

I LOVE these handmade bottles…..

IMG_9600eIMG_9603

Wooden baskets….

Finger puppets Open-mouthed smile

I totally resisted the hot sauces……I thought about it but figured I can wait until we are in Florida and visit Tijuana Flats in Kissimmee.

Gullah Foods!

Stop #3 ~ Rainbow Row.  Rainbow Row was actually different than what I thought but it was still interesting.  All of the houses on Rainbow Row were built in the 1700’s and have been restored.

All of the owners intentionally painted their houses a different color….

Creating a Rainbow Row of houses 4 blocks long.

Since stones are not native to Charleston they were all imported from England (according to our guide).  We decided to walk down the cobblestone street to the beach.

To watch another South Carolina Sunset!

It was so peaceful and breathtaking……I LOVE Charleston, honestly maybe even more than Savanaah, GA.  There is so much to see and do ~ everyone is super friendly….

But, honestly, how could you not love walking down your cobble stone driveway from Rainbow Row to the beach and seeing this every single day?!

Before heading back to town, we decided to stop for a quick bite at Andolini’s for pizza!

It was SO DARK inside, but, I managed to snap a few pictures without using the flash!

The Husband and I shared a delicious and refreshing Large Italian Salad.  Their homemade creamy Italian dressing and huge grates of mozzarella really made this salad fantastic.

Then, we received quite possibly the largest pizza I’ve ever ordered in my life! I was actually kind of excited since we were all starving since we didn’t have lunch LOL.

1/2 Veggie (for the girls) and 1/2 Pepperoni/Olive (for the boys).

This totally hit the spot ~ I like how the crust is thin, light and crispy but their mozzarella is super creamy.  I never imagined putting green olives on a veggie pizza but I really liked the salty bite when paired with the veggies and CHEESE!

Tomorrow is our last day in Hilton Head.  I think we are going to attempt to go to the Farmer’s Market and maybe head over to Daufuskie Island to rent golf carts to tour the island!!!

Anything we missed this week in South Carolina that you all think we should do?

1 tharryra November 18, 2011 at 6:05 am

beautiful sunset.

2 Aimee Douglass November 18, 2011 at 9:10 am

I absolutely love green olives on pizza! It’s so hard to find shops that include them as part of their toppings, but luckily one opened up just down the street from my house.

Love Charleston, although it’s been over 20 years since I went there with my family. Your pictures make me want to move there!

3 Elizabeth November 18, 2011 at 9:18 am

Jim n’ nicks… I love and dream of that restaurant every time I think of the south. It is in Bluffton… Pig in the garden salad is my favorite!!! Oh boy!!!

4 Jayme November 18, 2011 at 10:02 am

I love all the pictures and ideas!

I totally forgot about Tijuana Flats! Even though I just had it on Saturday! If you are going to the one in Kissimmee, I think it is the one by The Loop. If it is, you have to get Menchie’s! Frozen Yogurt bar where you choose your toppings.

Have a great rest of your trip!

5 MICHELE November 18, 2011 at 12:45 pm

We love HHI and go there every year in the late fall. We always go to the BIg Bamboo Cafe at Coligny Plaza. It’s really cool place, very 1945 South Pacific. We always get the WAR DOG! It is not WW friendly but when in Rome… I’ve enjoyed all your pictures, enjoy the rest of your vacation!

6 Melissa @TryingtoHeal November 18, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Wow, what a great visit you’re having so far! I am jealous of all the beautiful old buildings you’re able to check out…I love old Victorian houses!

Can’t wait to hear what the farmer’s market was like!

7 Roz@weightingfor50 November 18, 2011 at 4:26 pm

What a lovely looking place. Who knows, maybe one day I’ll get down there myself. Safe travels.

8 renee@mykitchenadventures November 18, 2011 at 5:44 pm

LOVELOVE Charleston SC…probably one of my very favorite places on this earth! We go every year for the past several years. Looking at your pics brought a smile to my face. Eats? You must try 82 Queen….on Queen St., of course. Lots of history, great southern food. Eat in the garden if the weather is nice! The ghost tours are fun and the tour of the old city jail pretty cool. Love the “slave” market and those grass baskets the Gullah ladies make are incredible! Visit a plantation!!!! Middleton place! So much to do and see. Check out my post about our summer vaca this year…lots of pics of Charleston!

9 Staci November 21, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Danica, I was in Charleston the same time as you! I was there Thursday through Sunday and fell in love with the city. I second the bbq place mentioned above. We went there and really enjoyed it. Loved toddling down Meeting street and looking at all the beautiful homes. If you get a chance to go back, you should check out Charleston Cooks. I wanted to go for a lesson, but it didn’t end up fitting into my schedule. :( I read they were supposed to be lots of fun.

10 DanicasDaily November 22, 2011 at 5:14 am

Awwww, I just missed you! I would totally LOVE to do that cooking class too. Would’ve been awesome to meet up just to do that! Next time LOL……