A Must Try Harvest Grain Salad!

by DanicasDaily on March 9, 2010

Happy Biggest Loser Day!!  Do you all ever have days where you are so tired when you wake up that you cannot for the life of you think of what to eat for the day?  This is pretty rare for me because I honestly I dream up what I am eating the night before.  But, today, for some reason, my brain was broken and nothing came to mine.

I picked an easy breakfast that involved two of my FAVORITE Cereals ~ Kashi Cinnamon Harvest and the new “kid” on the Block Udi’s BanaBerry Granola.

Since I was running late for work, I packed the ENTIRE boxes to take with me to work (now you all know why my lunch box is a re-usable grocery bag :D

28 Biscuits (since I didn’t have my scale)

1/2 c banana slices

Sprinkle of Banaberry Granola

1/2 c FF Milk

I LOVE cereal, but, for 5 points, I was STILL hungry after I ate it :(  I waited my 3 hours though before snack and decided to have a high protein 3 point snack ~ Egg Plus Cheese!

As odd of a combo as it sounds, it totally did the trick in filling me up.  When I looked at the other contents of my lunch bag (organic cottage cheese, yogurt, fruit, tortillas (not sure why) plus a frozen dinner, they just didn’t appeal (broken brain!).  I happily accepted an offer to hit up Thai Kitchen!

I started off with a one won ton soup plus chili sauce ~ HOT! (1 pt)

I almost always order Broccoli Chicken when at Thai or Chinese food because it’s so low in points.  1 cup is only TWO POINTS!!!  I added more Chili sauce ~ HOT! (2 pts)

Plus 1 Cone Cup of Brown Rice (4 pts) – I want to get a cone shaped cup just so I can make Brown Rice Mountains like this :D

I think today topped the charts as one of the LONGEST days ever.  Long days make my mouth think it NEEDS something sweet even though  my belly is totally happy.

My Co-worker offered up some of the ChocoLOVE Peppermint Bar I gave her yesterday and I happily accepted 2 squares for 1 point.  I LOVED this flavor – it’s not too strong in mint, but, it’s super creamy and decadent.

Since I wanted to share back, I broke out the Qbel Peanut Butter Wafers that I picked up at Whole Foods this past weekend.

I LOVE the stats (130 cal, 7 g fat, <1 g fiber) for both bars….3 points.

But, only one bar is ONE POINT so of course I had just one.  I LIKE how flakey and creamy and crunchy they are.  I am totally buying more of the choco-peanut butter wafer sticks!

I have had this bag of Harvest Grains from Trader Joe’s for awhile now and have been trying to think of ways to have it.

I LOVE all the different grains and such that are included ~ who knew they made Baby garbanzo beans?

When I stopped at Trader Joe’s to buy some chicken tonight, they were sampling up a Harvest Grain Salad.  I LOVE the idea of using this grain to make a salad and had to recreate it!

I portioned out 1/2 the bag (approximately 1 1/4 cups) and boiled it for 10 minutes in chicken broth to cook it.  I omitted the butter that the packaged instructions suggested because well, I didn’t see a need.

After it was done cooking, I added the following:

1/2 jar chopped marinated artichokes

1/2 jar chopped sun dried tomatoes, drained and rinsed

1/4 c white balsamic vinegar

Big Dashes of TJ’s 21 Spice Salute

Freshly Ground Black Pepper

Chives

Stir to combine and enjoy hot or cold.  So delicious!  Makes 6 servings, 1/2 cup for 4 points.  It’s SO GOOD! Even the non-couscous eating Husband LOVES it :)

I grilled up the Organic Chicken Breast Tenders with Gayle’s Original BBQ Sauce while I prepared the salad and The Husband’s Garlic Fries.

I decided to use these Lavish Bread’s I bought at Trader Joe’s to make up BBQ Chicken Wraps to go with out Harvest Grain Salad.

I LOVE Lavish Bread Stats ~ 1/2 for 2 pts, whole for 4 pts.  I am totally thinking a LAVISH Pizza is in order this week using these :D

1 wrap topped with some Gayle’s Original BBQ sauce.

Then, I added the rest…

TJ’s Organic Herb Spring Mix Lettuce

Red Bell Pepper Slices

2 oz BBQ Chicken Tenders

1 Tbsp Finely Shredded Low Fat Cheddar Cheese

1/8 AVOCADO

Wrapped like a Pro ~ Lavish bread makes wrapping E-Z!  The Husband decorated my plate with a few of his fries, some “greens” and a little Harvest Salad.

MMMMM!!! 7 pts for the wrap, plus 2 pts for 1/4 salad and my fries ;).

The Husband was pretty proud of his plate with THREE wraps (with salsa tortillas), so he took pictures to share :D  He does a pretty good job at plating, huh?

BIGGEST LOSER TIME!!!! Hasta Manana!

1 Julia March 9, 2010 at 10:15 pm

Those Harvest Grains look really yummy, and I love your salad combo!
I really want to try that Chocolove peppermint chocolate – sounds amazing!

2 jd March 10, 2010 at 12:00 am

Ooo cool! I have that TJ’s Harvest Grains stuff sitting in my pantry right now! You totally just inspired me to finally give it a try :)

Also, that lavish bread looks awesome! I’ve never seen it at TJ’s before – I’m jealous that you have it at yours and I don’t have it at mine!

PS I love how you served the harvest salad in a little ramekin… cute + portion control, perfect!

3 Food Makes Fun Fuel March 10, 2010 at 5:17 am

Those Q.bel’s are easily one of my favorite. It makes you feel like something from Reeses’ but it’s all natural!

4 tj March 10, 2010 at 8:48 am

I think I still have my bag of that Harvest grain stuff from TJ’s in my pantry- one of those purchases that you get and not know what to do with it. lol Your salad looks YUMMY! :)

OH! At Whole foods they have a Lavash bread- The brand is California …something… Sorry I gave my wrapper to my WW leader- anyway it is 2 points for the ENTIRE lavash. Way better stats than the TJ’s one. :) I love making pizza on them. Your chicken wraps look good!!!

5 Therese March 10, 2010 at 8:55 am

That BBQ chicken looks insanely good! Although I am obsessed with all things BBQ so I’m not surprised I’m drooling.

I cannot eat cereal. Not for breakfast, a snack, anytime because it does nothing for my hunger and makes me crave carbs all day long!

6 DanicasDaily March 10, 2010 at 8:56 am

Hi TJ,

That is exactly what I did with the Harvest Grain I bought at TJ’s. I thought – this looks cool, but, didn’t think how I’d use it. This salad is awesome – can’t wait to have it for lunch today!

It’s totally funny that you say that about the WF Lavish. That is the only Lavish I bought before so when I saw it at TJ’s I figured the stats were similar. I was so bummed when I checked them out DURING dinner last night and found out they were not the same :( Booo! Still delish though.

7 Sarah @ THE FOODIE DIARIES March 10, 2010 at 6:42 pm

omg that salad looks INCREDIBLE!

funny story: i JUST picked up that blend from TJs this weekend–so i think i have some inspiration of how i can put it to use!

8 Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl March 11, 2010 at 12:51 am

Danica, that Harvest Grain Salad looks delicious!!! :-D

9 janetha March 11, 2010 at 3:45 pm

love that coloful salad! it is so gorgeous.

10 Jessica March 11, 2010 at 8:20 pm

That looks really good girl! Those beans and grains look like they would have a good chew texture. Yum!

Isn’t it cute that our men take pictures of their food too sometimes? My bf sends me pics when he’s really proud of his food. Haha.

11 DanicasDaily March 12, 2010 at 9:46 am

Hi Jessica,

You know that I think is it – that is what I LOVE about the Harvest Blend – it has great chewy texture. It is total pallet satisfaction.

That is adorable that your bf sends you pics. The Husband will always ask me to take pictures of his or he will have a contest to see who can “decorate” their plate the best. I think my favorite is when he is like….let me position your food like this or that or like when he needs to add “green” or something to my plate.

Happy Friday!

12 smilinggreenmom March 13, 2010 at 7:18 am

The Harvest Grain Salad looks yummy! We love Quinoa and I saw that in the ingredients. I highly recommend you try Kamut Khorasan Wheat too! Oh it is so yummy and delicious :) TY for sharing!

13 Danica's Daily March 15, 2010 at 8:26 am

Hi SmilingGreenMom,

The Harvest Salad is really delish ~ I highly recommend it too. Thanks for the Kamut Khorasan recommendation – is it just Kamut Pasta or another grain? I need to check it out, I am definitely intrigued.

Thanks,

14 Kelly February 11, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Harvest Grain Blend will be one of my next purchases at Trader Joe’s. Used your shopping list for first trip. It really helped bbought several things.