A new “spin” on Spaghetti & Meatballs

by DanicasDaily on January 10, 2011

Happy Monday All! Thanks for all the comments on The Husband’s handy work on our house.  He really does a phenomenal job.  Oh and for those asking if he is for rent….he said, I run the show, so it’s up to me ~ haha ~ he’s funny!

I was rushing around everywhere this morning and pretty much just dumped a bunch of random things in my lunch bag to eat for the day.  Luckily it worked out into one delicious day from breakfast through the NEW Spaghetti & Meatball Recipe we tried tonight.

One of my FAVORITE FLAVORED Greek Yogurts is made by Stonyfield ~ Oikos.

3 pointsplus yogurt

It honestly jumped to the top of my list when I realized it’s only 3 Points+ vs 4!

Oikos Greek Yogurt

I have to admit, I am kind of a sucker for the fruit on the bottom too!  I don’t mix it all the way so it’s like you get little “treats” along the way……Creamy!

Greek Yogurt

Salty, crunchy Trader Joe’s Turkey Bacon (2 Points+)

turkey bacon

Sweet~ Banana and Blueberries!

blueberries

My totally random throw things in your lunch bag as you rush out the door breakfast.  Not too shabby for 5 points+!

Weight Watchers Breakfasts

Lunch was sorta tossed in the bag too.  I picked up this Chicken Vindaloo awhile back mainly because it has really great stats.

Weight Watchers Indian Food

7 Points+ and an ingredient list I can recognize…..oh and well, it just sounds good too!

Trader Joe's Frozen Meals

Tasty! Not my favorite Trader Joe’s quick meal and they shouldn’t say “vegetables” because in my book, peas and carrots don’t count as the big vision I had for “vegetables”/

Curried Rice

Are you surprised?! I knew you would be to see TJ’s Organic Broccoli Slaw with 2 Tbsp of TJ’s Spicy Peanut Vinaigrette (2 PP)

Weight Watchers Dressings

Cuties for dessert.

Clementine's

“Orange” you glad I showed you my lunch?! LOL….seriously, I never realized I ate so much orange at lunch until now.

Afternoon snackage was a little “banana froyo” I froze with lots of CARAMEL SAUCE ~ I got a little heavy handed (3 points+).  The verdict ~ it freezes harder than when first made, but, if you let it soften, it’s just as tasty.  Oh and the caramel DOESN”T freeze, but, it makes nice swirls throughout.

Banana Frozen Yogurt

I am super proud to say as soon as I walked in the door tonight, I hopped on the treadmill for 25 minutes and did my 20 crunches as part of this week’s Friends for Weight Loss Challenge.  My legs are definitely telling me I haven’t been on the treadmill in awhile Smile

Dinner tonight was FANTASTIC and I am so glad I have leftovers for tomorrow.  I honestly couldn’t wait to make THIS Spaghetti and Meatball Casserole recipe from Clean Eating Magazine ever since I saw it.  It takes a little bit of work, but, I guarantee it’s worth the effort.

I think the “secret” the this recipe is in the BASIL CREAM SAUCE

Pulse to chop 1 cup of basil with 2 garlic cloves.

Clean Eating Spaghetti & Meatball Casserole

Add 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1/2 oz Parmesan, pinch of sea salt and black pepper and then, the secret “creamy” ingredient ~ 1/3 cup lowfat cottage cheese.

Cottage Cheese

Whirl together until creamy and the Basil Cream is done ~ easy!

lowfat pasta ideasq

You reserve a little of the basil & garlic to go in your tiny meatballs.  I used oatbran instead of wheat germ because it is what I had on hand.

These look big, but, they are like 1 teaspoon meatballs sprinkled with black pepper and garlic salt.

tiny turkey meatballs

Brown in a large nonstick skillet with onion for about 2 minutes, until the onion is translucent and the meatballs are browned on both sides.

onions

Add in crushed tomatoes, bay leave and a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes.  Simmer for 8 minutes until the meatballs are cooked through.

clean pasta sauce

Layer it up.  Place 1/2 cup of your pasta sauce on the bottom of your casserole dish.

Add half of your spaghetti with meatballs.  Then, top with half your basil cream and a few fresh mozzarella balls (my addition).

Repeat ending with a 1/2 oz sprinkle fo parmesan.

Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted and your casserole is bubbling.

spaghetti pizza

This would’ve been SO FUN to make for Christmas Smile

The Husband whipped up simple salads for us while I prepped the pasta.  I topped my salad with my other favorite bottled dressing, Newman’s Lite Lime Vinaigrette. (2 PP)

Simple Salad

You get 1/6th of a 9 x 13 dish or 6 ounces for 9 points+.  If you omit the 4 oz mozzarella, it’s only 7 points+.

I LOVED mixing it together so it was like having a pesto marinara with BIG Cheese and Little Meatball surprises.  I had 2 slices of Alexia Garlic Bread on the side (3 points+)

Clean Eating Spaghetti & Meatball Casserole

You can find the RECIPE for the Spaghetti & Meatball Casserole HERE.  My additions were sea salt, black pepper, crushed red pepper flakes and Fresh Mozzarella Balls.

Just a few more hours to enter to win your very own Danica’s Daily T-Shirt!

Q’s

Do you MIX your fruit on the bottom in your yogurt, eat it in layers or just do little swirls like me?

I kinda think that’s why they make fruit on the bottom ~ just so someone like me can wonder how everyone eats their yogurt…..I never mix mine it, just swirl it.

Vicki January 11, 2011 at 12:15 am

Great yummy day, Danica! I am so going to make this recipe! It looks like it is worth every ounce of the effort it took to make :)

Corinne January 11, 2011 at 4:44 am

Mmmm…the spaghetti looks good! I might have to try it with spaghetti squash…that is one of my favorite foods for the night before a weigh in…I love the way you fix recipes “your way”…you inspire us to get our creative juices going!!

Marcia January 11, 2011 at 7:21 am

I don’t usually cook much but your recipe’s inspire me! Have been cooking up a storm since I joined your blog and now have new treats to snack on!

Jeanette January 11, 2011 at 7:36 am

I just saw that spaghetti and meatballs recipe in the Clean Eating magazine I got in the mail yesterday! It looks really good! I can’t wait to try it!

renee@mykitchenadventures January 11, 2011 at 8:01 am

MMMM…I got to say, that spaghetti and meatball dish looks wonderful!!!

I eat boring plain greek nonfat yogurt with a bit of honey or maybe splenda if I am cutting back on sugar….sometimes I throw in a few blueberries or applesauce. :)

Sarah (Sarah Learns) January 11, 2011 at 8:22 am

i swirl my yogurt like you do! i also like it when the bottom is a little heavier on the fruit than the top.

and your pasta looks amazing.

Colleen Richards January 11, 2011 at 9:33 am

This looks really great and the honey likes spig and the meat balls will sell it, I will let you know how it goes over! Love your site and have a great day!

Colleen Richards January 11, 2011 at 9:33 am

Oh my Yogurt, always gets stirred, love the bites of fruit

Roz January 11, 2011 at 9:55 am

The casserole looks fantastic. I’m going to try that basil cream on a few things, I’m sure it’s very versatile!!! Have a great day. (oh, ps, always stirred yogurt for me)

Jen January 11, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Everything looks crazy a** delicious as always, especially your dinner!!!! Great day Danica :)

jen

Cynthia January 11, 2011 at 7:20 pm
Tonya January 12, 2011 at 8:48 am

This may sound like a stupid question, but where do you get mozzarella balls from? and is it low fat mozzarella cheese? You use a lot of stuff from Trader Joes, I have never been to that store before….we don’t have one around here. I might have to make a trip to my grandma’s and stock up on all of the items you talk about…..or I wonder if you can order online from Trader Joes….???

DanicasDaily January 12, 2011 at 9:43 am

Hi Tonya,

You can get the fresh mozzarella balls in a container of “water or oil” in the cheese section. I have bought them at Trader Joes as well as my local grocery store. I just pour the water out, rinse them and sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper.

I WISH Trader Joe’s would let people order online – that would be AWESOME! I am working on putting together a post that includes a list of all my favorite Trader Joe’s items for people like you who have to drive far to go to one. I should have it up soon.

Warning though – once you go to Trader Joe’s, you will want to keep going back. There are so many amazing and cheap things :)

Sherrie January 13, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Danica,
Just had to tell you I made this spaghetti and meatballs tonight.
Didn’t know how my 18 year old son and husband would like it.
Verdict………. Terrific!!
They loved it.
I added the mozzarella balls like you did and it was a hit.
Thanks for the recipe.