Bacon Inside Out Cheeseburger Sliders

by DanicasDaily on June 15, 2011

Happy The Week is FINALLY 1/2 over day! I definitely think the consensus is that everyone loves their chocolate, wine and coffee, it has to be the expensive kind, but, sometimes, any chocolate with peanut butter will do Open-mouthed smile  Speaking of chocolate ~ HOLY WOW…You all just have to see the one I tried today…..it’s seriously YUM!

Pre-workout snack was a banana.  For today’s workout, I rocked the KETTLE BELLS doing THIS Kettle Bell Workout.  I added a Plank Hold for 1 minute & 30 seconds!

I couldn’t wait to dig into my Cheesy Sausage Breakfast Burrito……My co-worker said the Green Monster was going to Eat It when I walked away….ya, we probably should get out more Winking smile (6 points+)

The BEST Raspberries this year!  I now get why The Husband told me he’d eat them all since they “weren’t” that good ~ HA!

I picked up this Dark Chocolatier Bar with Caramel & Black Sea Salt awhile back and have been meaning to try it.

Since the theme of this week seems to be CHOCOLATE everything (including my giveaway LOL!), I figured it was worth trying.  2 squares are 3 points+

The chocolate layer is super thin and DARK followed up with TONS of melt in your mouth salty caramel ~ It’s SO GOOD I could probably eat the ENTIRE bar….but, I shared.

Lunch ~ Spicy Egg Salad ~ LOVE! (7 points+)

Plus a bunch of melon…..I had veggies too, but, I was really holding out for our afternoon party!

We all got the chance to sample Annie’s NEWEST Grown Up Mac & Cheese Flavor ~ Spirals with Butter & Parmesan.

What better way to eat your mac than with a Mac & Cheese Mix-In Bar!

Peas, BACON!, Broccoli (for people like TJ!) and caramelized onions.

My mini bowl with everything but the broccoli ~ cheesy, butter, salty, sweet…..it was SO GOOD I “almost” switch up our plans for dinner just so I could make this at home.  4 points+ estimate.

First I saw Inside Out Cheese Burgers in the Weight Watcher Magazine.

Then, I saw Roni make her Bacon Cheese Inside Out Turkey Burgers.

And, I decided, I couldn’t take it anymore….I can admit it…it was the bacon, cheese and burger that sold me.

I had planned on making Roni’s, but, have I ever told you all I am really bad at following directions?!

When I was browsing “buns” at the store….I saw my FAVORITE King’s Hawaiian Rolls and I knew they had to be sliders!

3 points+ each but worth every single one! Sweet, soft, doughy….they melt in your mouth.

Did I also mention I really tried to make Roni’s and then I ended up just adding all kinds of stuff?  I remembered how much I LOVED Tracey’s Stove Top Muffins and all the veggies she included.  They made the muffins so moist and added such great flavor.

As I was finely chopping and shredding my veggies so The Husband wouldn’t notice, I started thinking of all the things I like on my burgers ~ real bacon (it adds more flavor than bits) and more importantly BBQ sauce. I just kept going and going tossing everything in the bowl to create my version as a Mini Burger….

After I had them all made…I realized I forgot the Worchestshire she used….see….bad Winking smile

SURPRISE BACON INSIDE OUT CHEESEBURGER SLIDERS

The “surprise” could be in the cheesy middle or the fact that I snuck in 1 1/2 cup veggies and you’d never know it!

INGREDIENTS

• 1.25 lbs 93% Lean Ground Turkey (it has the most flavor for burgers over 99%)
  • 1 zucchini, shredded
  • 1 carrot, shredded
  • 1/2 cup mushrooms, finely diced
  • 1/2 onion, finely diced
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
  • 1 egg
  • 2 Tbsp BBQ Sauce
  • 4 slices center cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
  • 2 Tsp Emeril’s Original Essense, optional
  • Pinch Crushed Red Pepper Flakes & freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 Mini BabyBel Light Cheese, cut into 3 slices each
  • Sprinkle of garlic salt, optional
  • 12 Hawaiian Rolls
  • All of your favorite burger toppings ~ ketchup, mustard, pickles, lettuce, tomato, etc.

INSTRUCTIONS

1.  In a large bowl, combine turkey through black pepper.  Divide into 4, then, divide each 1/4 mixture into 3 so you are left with 12 sections to make your sliders.

2.  Take 1/12th of the turkey mixture and 1 slice of the BabyBel and form the turkey around the cheese making a patty.  Repeat until all 12 patties are made.  Sprinkle the tops with garlic salt if using.

3.  Preheat grill to medium high heat.  Add burgers and cook for about 8 minutes per side until cooked through.

4.  Serve up your “slider bar” with your burgers, buns and all of your favorite toppings.

Makes 12 sliders, 5 points+ each

Nutritional Information per slider INCLUDING 1 Hawaiian Roll

STEP – BY – STEP

Cook your bacon making sure you cook TWO extra pieces because you know “somebody” will eat your crumbles otherwise Winking smile

Slice your Babybel rounds into thirds….each circle = 3 slices.

Combine everything to make up your bacon burgers into one big bowl.

I realized after mixing everything that there was still room in my mixture to add mushrooms.  So I DID!  Cremini Mushrooms would be fantastic in this!

Divide into 4 sections.

Then divide each of those 4 sections into 3 sections each so you have 12 equal triangles (kind of like cutting a pie).

Take 1/12th of the turkey mix and wrap it around 1 slice of cheese.  I formed mine into a meatball then flattened it to make a burger.

Sprinkle with garlic salt for extra flavor if using.

TIP: If you know your burgers stick to your grill, spray them on both sides with nonstick spray before grilling them.

Prep “Slider Bar” with all your toppings while the burgers cook.

My absolute FAVORITE new addiction lately ~ Mezzetta’s Italian Garden Vegetables.

0 points+ ~ crunchy, sweet, tart…now I just NEED spicy!

It’s totally ok if some of your cheesy goodness oozes out as the burgers cook….it just makes them look that much tastier!

Builder your slider starting with the greens and working your way up to the pickle.

I like putting the sauce on the “lid” because then it drips all the way down your burger when you dig in.

I LOVE the cheesy & gooey babybel middle, the hints of smoky bacon, the sweet, soft doughiness of the buns and the crunch of all the toppings.  The veggies really make these burgers moist, but, you’d never know they are in there.

I AM BEYOND WORDS….they are that GOOD!  Once you try them, you will know exactly what I mean.

True to form…..it’s SLIDING!!!! You knew I had to say that, right?!  I think I was actually so excited to dig in I didn’t think about the fact that my burger wasn’t straight ~ oops!

Side #1

Side #2 Grilled Foil Packet Veggies = ZERO dishes to wash

Caramelized & ZERO Points+ (cooked with nonstick spray, garlic salt and black pepper).

I also made corn, but, I gave mine to The Husband to save my points+.

NEW AT FRIENDS FOR WEIGHT LOSS

* 3 points+ Homemade Nectarine Raspberry Sorbet (no ice cream machine required!)

Q’s

Do you follow the directions on a recipe or do you cook to your own tune?

I get a lot of ideas from different recipes, but, I rarely stick to a recipe.  I actually have to “force” myself to NOT add stuff not on the list sometimes.

1 Danielle June 16, 2011 at 5:10 am

Um, those italian garden vegetables look amazing! Where did you find them at the store????

And those burgers?!?! YUMMMMMM!

2 Kimberly Richey June 16, 2011 at 6:00 am

I make inside out burgers with Laughing Cow inside….this is a neat twist! Can’t wait to try it this weekend!!

3 DanicasDaily June 16, 2011 at 6:44 am

Hi Danielle,

I actually just picked them up in the section next to olives, marinated mushrooms/artichokes at my local grocery store.

4 Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats June 16, 2011 at 6:45 am

That chocolate looks amazing and I love the mac and cheese bar. ^_^ So what was your overall opinion of the new flavor?

And wow. Those burgers look so good, I almost wish I ate meat!

5 DanicasDaily June 16, 2011 at 6:48 am

HI Robyn,

I actually really like the new flavor. It’s slightly cheesy, but, the buttery garlic flavor really comes through.

You know ~ it’s burgers like these, BBQ chicken and bacon that I missed the most when I was vegetarian…then, I missed greek yogurt, eggs and cheese when I was vegan LOL.

BTW ~ I have an ENTIRE 2 sections on my recipe organizer for vegan and vegetarian :D

6 Ashley @ CoffeeCakeandCardio June 16, 2011 at 7:24 am

Why hellllo SURPRISE BACON INSIDE OUT CHEESEBURGER SLIDERS! I am definitely going to make these! I also think the mac and cheese bar is a fantastic idea!!!

7 tj June 16, 2011 at 7:27 am

broccoli hater!! lol

man I wish I had mentioned that I was “ALL BY MYSELF” last night ( I sang that, you should too!) lol

yum

8 Allywan June 16, 2011 at 7:37 am

I find myself overtaken by the cuteness of those sliders!!

9 Lindy June 16, 2011 at 7:50 am

Hi, I often change a recipe as I go but I won’t be on the sliders,they are perfect and my husband will love these and I will sneak in the veggies because it is hard to get him to eat them . I love ,love the King Hawaiian rolls.

That mini mac and cheese bar was soooo cute !

10 Chrissy Curtis June 16, 2011 at 9:39 am

People constantly ask me for a recipe and seem offended that I won’t just give it to them; and it’s not trying to keep a recipe to myself, it’s that I didn’t really follow a recipe! I adapt from 2 or 3 different recipes for a dish, and I do it differently each time, so it’s hard to say exactly what I did any given day.

I think it’s extremely useful for us to see the recipe you were trying to follow and the adaptations you made – we all need help seeing how to adapt great recipes to be more healthy and some people are too afraid to stray from the directions.

11 Wendi June 16, 2011 at 10:11 am

Yum, the sliders look delicious!!

Mezzetta has this Italian Mix Giardiniera (they also have a Californa Hot variety, it’s too spicy for me)… I like the Italian Mix on my salads, although I’ve been known to dig straight out of the jar for a snack too!!

12 janetha @ meals & moves June 16, 2011 at 10:41 am

Mac and cheese mix in bar.. THAT IS THE CUTEST IDEA EVER. And I love green monster glove.

13 Suzanne June 16, 2011 at 11:38 am

I’m so jealous that you get to eat Macaroni and Cheese and get paid for it….LOL.
And I think those burgers will definitely need to me made VERY soon for the boyfriend–he will LOVE them! But the best part is I can make them healthy for him :) Trying to get him on the WW train!

14 Nikki June 16, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I have to try those burgers! YUM!

Oh and I have that chocolate here and I like it too!

And I made your Harvest Grain Salad with dinner tonight and we all loved it! Thank you so much!

With recipes I tend to follow them when I first try them, then as I get more confident with it I will change it up.

15 TracyP June 16, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I can so relate to your cooking style. I never follow a recipe the way it is written. Mostly, I lighten recipes to make them more point-friendly, but even if not, I just can’t help changing them!

16 Latina Barbi June 17, 2011 at 9:00 am

Hey Danica, I see that you do the kettleball workouts a lot…are you noticing definition in your body? Do you feel like your burning more caloires at rest? I just started and feel stornger yet I kwow I still need to do my cardio. MUAH!

17 DanicasDaily June 18, 2011 at 9:56 am

HI Barbi,

Yes, I agree with you on the definition for sure. It’s a tough workout and it really gets my heart rate up enough. I really do enjoy doing cardio too so I like to fit in both. I think you’d really have to do about an hour kettle bell workout 3-4 days a week to have it replace both. I am by no means qualified to say that as I am not a personal trainer, just my own personal opinion. Great job on the workouts – keep it up!

18 Debby June 19, 2011 at 5:06 pm

I just bought stuffing mix to make TJ’s muffins….now I need to put that in the pantry and make these instead! Hubster will love them because of the Hawaiian bread. I’m not a fan of that, but bet they’d be awesome for these!

19 julie October 31, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Hello- I made these tonight (I make a lot of your recipies) I’m not sure if I did them right though because my were very bland tasting:( and it was really hard to keep them together. I do not care for zuchinni but I used it. They were moist but eek they were bland I had to trhow out the rest. Any suggestions? Not sure what I did wrong.

20 DanicasDaily November 16, 2011 at 7:47 am

Hi Julie,

I think maybe you used too much zucchini or other veggies because that would make them fall apart. I would recommend omitting it next time if you at not a fan. Malso, we’re your breadcrumbs seasoned? The seasoned version definitely adds flavor. I think the toppings and sauces (ketchup, mustard, bbq sauce) really add flavor too. I am sorry the recipe didn’t work for you but glad you let me know. Not every recipe is a winner.