Pizza is honestly probably one of my FAVORITE Food Groups of all time ~ for all those out there who LOVE pizza like I do, you will also agree it’s a food group lol. This breakfast pizza is not just any breakfast pizza ~ it is packed with everything you “NEED” to start your day off on a healthy note ~ Homemade Pesto, Sweet Tomato Slices, Cheddar & Chive Scrambled Eggs, Sausage & Bacon!
The homemade pesto adds a delicious garlicky basil flavor that compliments the sweet tomatoes, salty, crunchy bacon and sausage. I think Chorizo would be amazing if you wanted to kick it up a notch and make it spicy.
BACON, SAUSAGE & EGG BREAKFAST PIZZA (print it!)
- 16 oz Fresh, Pre-Made Pizza Dough (I used Trader Joe’s Pizza Dough)
- 1/4 cup pesto, homemade or store bought (recipe below)
- 2 roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 5 eggs
- 2 Tbsp fat free mik
- 2 Tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chives, divided
- 3 slices center cut bacon, cooked
- 3 Jennie-O Lean Turkey Breakfast Sausages, cooked
- 2 oz low-fat sharp cheddar cheese, finely shredded
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. While the oven preheats, prepare your pizza dough by rolling it out on a pan or stone and poking it all over with holes. Pre-bake the dough for 8 minutes.
2. Remove, top with pesto and tomato slices. Bake for 8 minutes. While the pizza bakes, whip up your scrambled eggs and prepare your pizza toppings.
3. Whisk together the eggs, parmesan, 1/2 the chives, milk, sea salt and pepper. Cook in a nonstick skillet sprayed with nonstick spray over medium low heat, until scrambled and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
4. Remove pizza from oven and add toppings starting with eggs and finishing with remaining chives. Bake for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Makes 8 slices, 6 points+ each
Nutritional Information per slice calculated at caloriecount.com
STEP – BY – STEP:
Start by blending the “Secret” Ingredient in this recipe ~ Homemade Healthy Basil Pesto.
It is honestly so easy to make, I am pretty sure you will never want to buy store bought once you make it fresh! I LOVE using this pesto on pasta for a quick dinner, on pizzas for the “sauce”, in eggs and for my Sun Dried Tomato, Pesto Cream Cheese Spread.
HEALTHY BASIL PESTO (print it!)
- 1-2 cups fresh basil leaves (1 bunch)
- 1/4 cup chicken broth or 1 bouillon cube with 1/4 cup water
- 4-6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup fresh parmesan cheese
1) Blanch 1 – 2 cups of basil leaves. (To blanch – add to boiling water for 1-2 minutes and remove. Drain and run under cold water.) Set aside.
2) Add 1 chicken or vegetable bouillon cube to ¼ c hot water. Set aside.
3) Combine in the food processor (a blender will also work): blanched basil, 4-6 cloves of fresh garlic, olive oil. Add about 1-2 teaspoons of chicken broth – (Only use the amount of chicken broth needed to blend ingredients. You will not use the entire ¼ c.)
4) Blend the ingredients in the food processor until creamy and well blended.
5) Pour blended mixture into a bowl and stir in parmesan cheese to flavor and to absorb liquid.
6) Drain excess liquid.
Makes 1 cup, 1 points+ per 1 Tablespoon
Nutritional information per Tablespoon calculated at caloriecount.com
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. While the oven preheats, prepare your pizza dough by rolling it out on a pan or stone and poking it all over with holes.
Pre-bake the dough for 8 minutes.
Remove, top with pesto and tomato slices. Bake for 8 minutes.
While the pizza bakes, whip up your scrambled eggs.
Whisked together with sea salt, black pepper, 2 Tbsp parmesan cheese and 1/4 cup chives.
When it comes to making delicious scrambles, cook your eggs slow and low. Cook in a nonstick pan sprayed with nonstick spray over medium low heat.
Until fluffly and scrambled, but, not overcooked.
While the pizza and eggs cook, prepare the rest of your pizza toppings.
Remove the pizza from the oven and add your scrambled chive and cheese eggs.
Then, layer on the rest of your toppings finishing with the remaining chives.
Bake for 2 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Slice into 8 pieces, serve with simple Lemon Arugula Salad and dig in!
Have you ever made breakfast pizza? What do you top it with? I LOVE the idea and totally want to make more PIZZAS!!!
Stay tuned tomorrow for the Brunch Finale ~ Coconut Donut Holes!