Break out The Pumpkins!

by DanicasDaily on September 29, 2012

Happy Saturday all!  Even though our weather is still a million degrees of hot, I decided to break out into Fall-Ness today.  I woke up craving something baked so I decided to satisfy that sweet craving with a delicious Simply Filling Oatmeal Protein Pancake topped with whipped butter, coconut and pure maple syrup.

Served up with Macadamia Nut Cookie Coffee that I mixed with Island Coconut ~ totally my new fave.

I didn’t have any fat free cottage cheese so I improvised using 0% plain Greek Yogurt.  The only thing I’d change is to add a little more salt since the yogurt does not have any saltiness to bring out the sweetness.  The batter is a bit thinner, but, it is still just as tasty. (SF + 2 WPA for 1 Tbsp syrup and 1/2 Tbsp whipped butter) – 10 points+

After straightening up the house and picking more tomatoes from our garden we headed over to the Farmer’s Market.

I was so excited to see a new organic squash I haven’t tried called Delicata Winter Squash.  I love that it takes half the time to cook as butternut squash and the skin is so thin you can eat it too.  The farmer girl shared all the ways she loves to cook it and I can’t wait to try it!

We also stocked up on CORN!, nectarines, pluots, squashes and tortillas.  Before breaking for lunch at Mary’s Pizza Shack, we went shopping for my nieces birthday and spent way too much time checking out all the Halloween stuff at Target.

I couldn’t resist having a slice of the warm sour dough bread when they put it on our table. (SF + 2 WPA) – 2 points+.

I got my usual Large Mary’s House Salad with Ranch on the side.  (SF+ 4 WPA) – 10 points+

Did I mention I also stopped at Michael’s just so I could roll out the Welcome Mat……

For the newest addition in our Pumpkin Family! Isn’t she freakin’ cute?!

Yup, we totally bought pumpkins already too ~ I decided you can Break Out The Pumpkins beginning October 1st…..well, it’s Monday so today counts Open-mouthed smile

I bought a Yankee Fuji Apple Candle so our house will smell like fall…

Along with filling my Harvest Basket with cinnamon pinecones & pumpkins.

The Husband picked this out because he “isn’t afraid of no ghosts!” Winking smile

I picked out this skeleton guy because he is holding a Pumpkin! Oh and he is cute too Open-mouthed smile

It’s the little things ~ seriously!  I smile every time I see our front porch or our big kitchen window.

I received a fun package in the mail from my favorite healthy cheese friends, Cabot Cheese Coop.  As you all know, I absolutely LOVE their mini cheese squares and I think it’s awesome that they now sell all 4 of their flavored cheeses in block form.

Did I mention that they are the only company I’ve found that makes spicy cheese in two flavors, Jalapeno & Pepper Jack Light?!

8oz_Pepper_Jack_Light_full

Sharp Cheddar is my goto cheese because it brings out the richest cheesy flavor in every dish.

8oz_Sharp_Light_W_full

100% REAL ingredients you can recognize, 2 points+ per oz.

This totally prompted me to make up a big batch of Slow Cooker Turkey Chili just so I could top it with spicy cheesy, goodness.  I will be posting the recipe this week.

The Husband requested Brown Sugar Banana Nut Muffins so I made up a batch just for him.

Dinner tonight was incredibly simply and centered around all the peppers/onions we got at the Farmer’s Market.

I sautéed a red, yellow & green bell pepper with a red onion, 3 garlic cloves and 2 cups of sliced mushrooms in 1 Tbsp canola oil until softened.

Then, I sprinkled the fajita mix with a little Homemade Taco Seasoning.

While the veggies cooked, The Husband grilled up this Honey Chipotle Chicken Breast we picked up at Costco.  It is in the fresh section and made by Foster Farms.

I put the finishing touches on by “frying” a few green chili corn tortillas.

I started off by topping my tortilla with the caramelized fajita veggie mix…

Then topped it with a few slices of grilled chicken and sprinkle of cheese. (SF+ 2 WPA for the tortilla) – 4 points+

Can you believe I didn’t add hot sauce or salsa?!  Don’t worry, I made sure I did on my second Chicken Fajita Taco Winking smile

STATS (12 am – 9 pm)

• 2,798 calories burned
  • 9,063 steps taken
  • 12 WPA used, 0 WPA remaining (30 daily points+) ~ I can’t wait for a new week tomorrow!
  • AL results: 100%, 4 Activity Points

Tomorrow we are heading out to ROLLER SKATE for my nieces party.  I used to be a really good roller skater when I was little…I totally hope it’s like riding a bike – once you learn it, you always know it?!

Nikki September 29, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Love the decorations!! Halloween/Fall is the best!!

And I always eat the skin on butternut squash. Yum!

Phyllis September 29, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Love your decorations! I got mine all out today!

Nancy A. September 30, 2012 at 6:25 am

Decorations are awesome… are the two coffees you mentioned from Keurig or Green Mountain?

DanicasDaily September 30, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Hi Nancy,

The Macadamia Nut Cookie is by Gloria Jean. I found it at Target. The Island Coconut is made by Green Mountain but it is seasonal and only comes out during the summer (sad but true).

lynette S September 30, 2012 at 7:51 am

Love the decorations, so cute! I need to pull mine out!

annaharding September 30, 2012 at 7:52 am

2798 calories burned is that for the week..what activities do you do to burn this many calories.

DanicasDaily September 30, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Hi Anna,

It is my total calorie burn for the entire day, not just one activity. I use a Body Media device to track all my steps and calories that I noted above. You can read about it on this post.

mary @ what's cookin with mary September 30, 2012 at 9:06 am

Is that a little hermit crab habitat behind and to the left of your pancake in that first pic ? Saw that and immediately thought… must be “the husbands”. Ha!

On skating: what I’ve learned is I can do all the same things when I was a kid, it just takes a whole lot longer to get up now ;0)

DanicasDaily September 30, 2012 at 8:44 pm

HI Mary,

You know, we used to have Hermit Crabs….can you believe I even posted about them before???

I sure do miss Hermie – we had him for years. The container in the window is our “rock pets” made by our nephews. They made them for us after our hermit crab was gone. It’s such a cute box and always makes me smile whenever I see it…they put so many details into it. Maybe I should post it as a Wordless Wednesday one day? :)

You were right on skating!

mary @ what's cookin with mary October 1, 2012 at 7:47 am

Most def post on a wordless Wednesday!

Christine September 30, 2012 at 9:43 am

Too funny! I was eating my first Oatmeal Protein Pancake of the season when I read your post. :-) Yum! I’m going to try making one with pumpkin this week. Have a good week!

suzanne September 30, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I love your decorations! Right now my husband is putting glow in the dark skeletons in our tree :)

Linda September 30, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Had the Oatmeal Protein pancakes for dinner 2 nights ago and loved them – so did the husband who is normally a bisquick pancake kind of guy. Loved the vanilla and coconut flavoring.

Thanks for all you do Danica. Since my husband lost his job I can no longer go to WW meetings. However, I still follow the plan, am still losing weight and have a notebook filled with your recipes.

DanicasDaily September 30, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Hi Linda,

I am so glad you both loved the pancake. I am sorry about your husband’s job…but, so proud of you for sticking with the lifestyle and losing!

Keep up the good work,

Regan @ Cabot Creamery September 30, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Happy fall! Love all the decor :)

And on behalf of the 1200+ farm families who own Cabot, thanks so much for your support & shout out. We’re glad you enjoyed!

DanicasDaily September 30, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Thanks Regan!

Carbzilla September 30, 2012 at 4:51 pm

You will love Delicata! I first had it at a catered event stuffed with wild rice and other veggies. We have three sitting on the counter right now waiting for inspiration. Enjoy!

Pat September 30, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Oh your deco’s are just too cute-especially the newest! Yes I hit Target this weekend myself and they are starting the Christmas display. Geez, we still have Halloween and Thanksgiving, feel like these stores are really rushing the holidays. Went to TJ’s too and they have all their fall food items in, love it!! Got pumpkin bread, pumpkin ice cream and lots more!

Life's a Bowl October 1, 2012 at 7:24 am

You decorations are adorable! I’ve been meaning to make my way over to Michael’s to check out their selection… I’d love fall themed mat and wreath :)

Gail H. October 2, 2012 at 2:53 am

We love that protein pancake! Do you think FF ricotta would work in place of the cottage cheese? Couldn’t get the link for the slow cooker turkey chili to work :( Love your menu as usual !!

DanicasDaily October 23, 2012 at 8:11 am

Hi Gail,

Sorry yes, you could definitely use ricotta in these pancakes instead of cream cheese. I need to try that!

Thanks,