Butternut Squash Lasagna, 8 points+

by DanicasDaily on May 21, 2012

Last year I fell IN LOVE with Super Cheesy Butternut Squash Macaroni and Cheese.  Now that I think of it, I am pretty sure I have an un-natural love for anything made with butternut squash, like, Butternut Squash Fries, Butternut Squash Potstickers, Ravioli’s, and of course, Butternut Squash Soup

The list really does go on which is why I am sure The Husband is always asking me “what IS in this?!” for fear that I found a way to “sneak” in the squash he despises so much LOL.  Maybe that is why I like it….then again, it could just be the simple fact that I like the idea of using sweet, buttery butternut squash for your noodles in lasagna.

Awhile back one of my readers asked if I could take one of her favorite Paleo Butternut Squash Recipes and put a healthy spin on it.  The thing is, I actually think that Health-Bent’s Pizza Butternut Squash Lasagna sounds delicious just the way it is.

I ended up trading in the olive oil for low-fat cheesy goodness and kicking up the spice a bit with crushed red pepper flakes.  The sausage and pasta sauce add a delicious richness as it melts into the cheese and “noodles”.  I think whichever route you go, you will all agree that this lasagna is pretty darn amazing.

BUTTERNUT SQUASH LASAGNA (print it!)

INGREDIENTS

• 1 lb sweet lean Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 25 oz Classico Fire-Roasted Tomato & Garlic Spaghetti Sauce
  • a few pinches of crushed red pepper flakes
  • 6 oz 2% sharp cheddar, shredded
  • 2 lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded and sliced into 1/8 in planks

INSTRUCTIONS

1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Spray a 7 x 11 casserole dish (one size smaller than 9 x 13) with nonstick spray and set aside.

2.  Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.  Add sausage, onion, bell pepper and garlic.  Cook until the sausage is cooked through and browned, about 8-10 minutes.  Add crushed red pepper flakes and a jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and set aside.

3.  Peel your butternut squash, cut off both ends and slice in half to remove seeds. To cut the 1/8 inch planks, lay one half flat side down and slice like you would an onion. Think thick, long zucchini slices as you cut the squash.

4.  Build your butternut squash lasagna by lining the bottom of the prepared casserole dish with a single layer of squash.  You may have to cut the shapes to fit.  Add 1/3 of your spaghetti sauce and sprinkle with 1/3 of your cheese.  Repeat finishing with sauce and cheese for your top layers.

5.  Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the cheese is melted.  Let stand for 30 minutes to allow the lasagna to set and the extra juices will flow to the bottom of the pan.  Slice into 6 slices and serve.

Makes 6 BIG Butternut Squash Lasagna slices for 8 points+ each

Nutritional information per lasagna square calculated at caloriecount.com

STEP – BY – STEP

Heat a large skillet over medium heat to cook sausage, peppers, onion and garlic.

Do not drain the sausage as it flavors the sauce.  Reduce heat and add the crushed red pepper flakes and pasta sauce.  Simmer for 5 minutes.

While the sauce cooks, prepare your butternut squash “lasagna” noodles.

They do not have to be perfect ~ just thin enough to took through and layer up in the pan.

Start with a layer of butternut squash, then, 1/3 of the sausage pasta sauce.

Sprinkle with 1/3 of the cheese.

Repeat for another layer then, top with the remaining sauce and cheese.

Bake at 400 degrees for 45-50 minutes until the cheese is melted and the top is golden.

Let the lasagna stand for 30 minutes to set and the juices will drain to the bottom.  Slice into 6 pieces and dig in.

Want more Casserole “Squashy-Ness” like this? Then, you have to check out this Spaghetti Squash Torta that is incredibly low in points+ and delicious too.

For those wondering how I grilled my squash last night, I simply took the extra slices above that I didn’t use, sprayed them with nonstick spray then sprinkled them with sea salt and pepper.  I grilled them for about 3-4 minutes on each side over medium-high heat.

I will catch up with you all tomorrow night ~ for now, I am off to catch some zzzzz’s.

Robin May 21, 2012 at 10:43 pm

You know what I’ve learned from you? I have learned not to be afraid of actually using points on real food. Seems simple, huh? Before reading your blog, the thought of anything being 8 or 10 points for part of a meal (or for the meal itself, sometimes) would have weirded me out. But you’ve written time and again about how much you’ve enjoyed something … points and all … very matter-of-factly! Bravo! Keep up the great work!

christine May 22, 2012 at 7:24 am

My weekend project! my husband hates butternut squash too so this lasagna might be all for me!

Catherine Beaudet May 22, 2012 at 7:33 am

I wonder how well this freezes. I am big on making meals ahead of time as I live with my parents. Mom has mobility issues and Dad’s idea of cooking is throwing brats, onions and bear in a cassarole and baking the hell out of them (and I mean blackened in a bad way). This sounds like something I will definitely try when the weather becomes cooler. Our current heat wave in Canada is making any kind of indoors cooking a difficult affair.

Connie May 22, 2012 at 9:38 am

This sounds fantastic! I’ll definitely be making it soon. I have to agree with Robin’s post from above. I stayed away from anything that was 8 points or more! You’ve made me see that its ok….just count ‘em!
I tried one of the new WW meals at Applebees for 12 pts. (wow!) but it was awesome and I was so satisfied after it.

Clare May 22, 2012 at 10:06 am

yeah! I love your take on this recipie that I’ve been using for months….I love it but never thought to slice the squash in planks like that…have all the ingredients and will be making this weekend.
for the person who asked – freezes well – I make and portion out the entire recipie since my dh won’t eat it. then I have lunches to grab and go.

mary @ what's cookin with mary May 22, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Danica, this recipe look so, so good! I’ve only ever made my noodle-less lasagna with zucchini. What a great idea! I must try this out. I like making ‘vegan ricotta’ by putting extra firm tofu in the food processor with garlic, basil & rosemary. Sounds scary, tastes delish ;0)

Jolene @ Yummy Inspirations May 23, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Yum! What an amazing version of my favorite dish! Can’t wait to give this a try! Thanks!

Susan May 24, 2012 at 12:24 pm

I LOVE butternut squash (and have the most incredible, non WW appetizer/light dinner recipe using it). I’m wondering what the points plus of the lasagna would be minus the turkey sausage?

DanicasDaily June 3, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Hi Susan,

I calculated the stats without the turkey sausage and it would be 5 points+ per serving based on 6 servings ~ deal!

Susan June 3, 2012 at 4:36 pm

WOW, great!! Thanks for the delicious, gooey goodness of this that I’ll be trying this week!

Kristi May 27, 2012 at 5:09 pm

I just has this for dinner. It was so great! My husband ate 3 pieces!! Thanks for another winner, Danica!

lamberzs May 28, 2012 at 9:17 pm

YUM!! This was so amazing! Thank you so much for all the fabulous recipes! You truly have a gift. Also, thank you for always being honest about your wieght loss journey, it has really helped me tremendously.

Andrea Macaluso February 3, 2013 at 10:05 am

I live by this site! The Butternut Squash Lasagna is one serious dish! I used lean ground turkey instead of turkey sausage only because I couldn’t find it. I cut up 8 portions and have it ready for lunch and dinner for the week. It’s ridiculously good! Keep it up, Danica! You are a huge inspiration and you always look happy and grateful, which I love! :)