Cinnamon Pecan “Oatmeal” Pancakes in a Jar

by DanicasDaily on December 14, 2012

Happy Friday all!  In keeping with yesterday’s theme of Single Serving Cakes In A Mug, here is another recipe I get asked for every year.  It all started a few years back when we bought my Sister a pancake griddle and my brother a waffle maker.  I really wanted to give them something to make up “fun” from our kitchen.  I have made cookies in a jar before, so I figured, why not do that with one of my favorite pancake mixes.  The added bonus is that It totally works for waffles too.

This recipe keeps in the Mason Jar for about 6 months.  You can layer the ingredients or mix it all up before putting it in the jar.

It’s a fun, inexpensive gift that only takes minutes to make with what you have in your kitchen.

CINNMAMON PECAN “OATMEAL” PANCAKES IN A JAR (print it!)

DRY MIX INGREDIENTS IN THE JAR:

• 1 1/2 cups Oat Flour (grind up Oatmeal until it is “flour” in your blender/magic bullet)
  • 1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat or White All Purpose Flour
  • 2 Tbsps. baking powder
  • 1  tsp. salt
  • 2 Tbsps. ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
  • 2 1/4 Tbsps. brown sugar (Maple Flakes would be awesome!)

To Make Batter Combine 1 1/3 Cups Dry

WITH THE FOLLOWING:

• 1 cup fat free milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil

INSTRUCTIONS:

Directions ~ pour jar into a bowl, stir to combine and return to jar. Store in jar for up to 6 months.

1. To make Batter for Cinnamon Pecan Pancakes: In a medium bowl, combine 3/4 c milk, 1 egg, 2 tbsp. vegetable oil. Whisk in 1 1/3 cups prepared Dry Pancake Mix until moistened but still lumpy.

2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.

3. Serve with butter, maple syrup, fruit and your favorite toppings.

Each pancake batch noted above, makes 6 pancakes, 4 points+ each

Attached your recipe card.  I used this Microsoft Word Holiday Recipe Card Template.

We have such a busy and fun weekend plan starting with a trip to the Winery to pick up a few things for The Husband’s “super secret project” plus some wine, then, doing a little shopping, a whole lotta baking, card writing and present wrapping.  Somewhere in there I hope to catch up with your comments, emails, etc.  My goal is to check everything off our list this weekend (it’s ok, you can chuckle because I know The Husband thinks I am crazy too lol.)

Last chance to enter to enter for your chance to win this super sleek & slim Keurig K-Cup Storage Drawer.…..I know you or someone on your list wants one.  The winner is drawn tomorrow night.

QUESTION OF THE DAY:

Have you ever made anything in a jar?

Do tell because I am obsessed with Mason Jars and all their possibilities from jam, to soups, to cookies, pancake mixes and more.

Sherrie December 21, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Can you tell us how many points plus the pancake and the mug cakes are please?

DanicasDaily December 28, 2010 at 3:24 pm

HI Sherrie,

I didn’t calculate the points for the pancakes or cakes in a jar. I imagine you could plug them into recipe builder to find them out quickly. I will definitely post them if I decide to make one up and eat it :)

Thanks for asking,

Updated 12/14/2012 – Hi Sherrie ~ I added the nutritionals to these above and they are 4 points+ per prepared pancake.

Jeannette December 15, 2012 at 10:43 am

Danica, do I understand that you mix the dry ingredients with the wet and then put everything back into the jar, which will keep for 6 months? Or is it just the dry ingredients that will keep?
Thanks
Jeannette

DanicasDaily December 26, 2012 at 10:24 am

Hi Jeannette,

You would store the dry ingredients for 6 months and then, just add the wet ingredients prior to serving.

Sorry for the confusion,

Pat December 15, 2012 at 7:14 pm

What a great gift idea. I have open house every Christmas Eve and I keep a basket of small gifts near my door to hand to guests when they leave. I think I am going to make some of these up–perfect!

Daniela December 15, 2012 at 10:35 pm

I’ve made the overnight oatmeal in mason jars….I’ve done the blueberry maple and PB banana. Both were great and so easy!!

CassieJ December 16, 2012 at 8:03 am

What a great gift idea! Will be making some of these up for gift giving!

I use mason jars for my weekly lunch at work. I started this a year ago when I saw it on pinterest. (Even my co-workers get salad envy because it looks so pretty in the jar.) I layer greens, chopped veggies, and either quinoa, farro, or turkey for some protein and Tbsp of feta cheese. So pretty and so tasty. I use the same principle for my fruit but use the smaller jars. It stores nicely in the fridge, is easy for grab and go and is appealing to my eye therefore making me want it vs the vending machine. I also use them for making my oatmeal for a week in advance. Yes my husband thought I was crazy when I came home with a case of “canning” jars but sees now it is very economical as well.