Thanks everyone for picking out dessert for our Healthy Holiday. I tend to LOVE things like Coconut Pound cake because you can prepare your coconut bread ahead of time and/or make mini versions to send home with every guest as a special thank you.
I think that every healthy eating lifestyle should ALWAYS make room for a little indulgence. Coconut Pound Cake is one of mine and I look forward to it EVERY YEAR. The Husband’s mom or sis usually give us a loaf and the flavor is indescribable. A few years ago I asked for the recipe and I have been hooked on making it for everyone during the holidays. It’s not so healthy but I am going to find a way to re-create it to be healthier one day.
This cake is packed with rich buttery and sweet coconut flavor ~ it literally melts in your mouth with a slightly crispy, crunchy crust…..It really IS that good!
COCONUT POUND CAKE (print it!)
- 3 sticks butter (1 1/2 cups)
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs at room temperature
- 3 cups heaping flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 8 oz sour cream
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 6 oz flaked coconut
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees and spray two loaf pans or 8 mini loaf pans with nonstick spray.
2. Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition.
3. Combine flour, salt and baking soda. Add flour and sour cream, alternating and beating well. Add vanilla and beat well.
4. Stir in coconut. Pour batter into prepared pan(s). Bake for 1-1/2 hours for the loaf pans and 50-55 minutes for 8 mini loaf pans or until the crust is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Makes 24 slices, 9 points+ each & honestly worth EVERYONE to me!
MAXIMIZE YOUR POINTS+
~ Make 32 Cupcakes for 6 points+ each (bake for 40 minutes).
~ Make 86 Mini Cupcakes for 2 points+ each ( bake at 350 for 23-25 minutes)
Nutritional Information per slice calculated on caloriecount.com:
NOTES TO LIGHTEN THIS RECIPE UP:
I have not tried this yet, but it would be the first direction I plan on going to lighten it up.
- Use Light Butter
- Swap the sugar for agave nectar and/or sucanat or possible just reduce it by 1/3
- Use Eggbeaters for the eggs
- Use Fat Free Sour Cream
I’ll let you all know when I find the perfect blend of a lighter Coconut Pound Cake (and maybe make it a lemon or orange pound cake!). Until then, have fun experimenting with it and do tell if you try it. I LOVE it!
In case you missed out on what was is going to be on my Healthy Holiday Plate, here you go:
- Simple Glazed Ham with Pineapple
- Au Gratin Potatoes
- Green Beans with BACON and Caramelized Onions
- Honey Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Cashews
- I may attempt making my own version of King Hawaiian Roles (recipe coming up if I do)
- Coconut Pound Cake ~ Oh, and if you wanted the recipes for any of the recipes last night, just go to my Recipage and find them in the alphabetical listing.
There are still TWO more things we need to cover for our Healthy Holiday…..The BEST way to enjoy this dessert is with a delicious cup of coffee
~ Get ready for a STARBUCK’S GIVEAWAY coming up tomorrow.
Then, the grand finale ~ Leftover Ideas & a delicious Next Day Ham & White Bean Soup Recipe.
To Be Continued………