I LOVE pizza any way you top it and any way you make. It can be the real deal, on a pita, naan bread, on top of polenta and even as a casserole. Pizza in my book is just Flat Out Amazing! There is just something about the flavor combination of doughy breads, cheese, tangy sauce, crunchy toppings and crispy turkey pepperoni that tastes like BACON!
Ummm, Little cheesy, doughy, fully loaded bites of pizza….sign me up!
The recipe originally comes from Rachel Ray. We have lightened up the recipe by using low-fat dairy and adding in a ton of FUN 0-1 points+ toppings for color, crunch and texture.
I am pretty sure you all might LOVE us after you try them…1 points+ pizza, need I say more?!
DELUXE PIZZA PUFFS (print it!)
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Dashes of sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup 2 % milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup reserved for topping
- 1/2 cup shredded whole milk mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
ALL OF YOUR FAVORITE LOW POINTS+ TOPPINGS:
- 9 slices turkey pepperoni, chopped (1 points+)
- Sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- Pickled sweet cherry peppers, chopped
- Pineapple tidbits
- Olive Slices
- Any veggies ~ cherry tomatoes, peppers, onions, mushrooms
- Pizza Sauce for dipping
The possibilities are endless!
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 24-cup mini-muffin pan. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, Italian seasoning, sea salt, pepper and red pepper flakes; whisk in the milk and egg. Stir in the mozzarella and Parmesan, let stand for 10 minutes.
2. Stir the batter and divide among the mini-muffin cups. Mix and match your favorite toppings making sure to press them into the dough.
3. Bake until puffed and golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, microwave the pizza sauce until warmed through. Serve the puffs with the pizza sauce for dipping.
Makes 4 servings, 6 Pizza Puffs, 5 points+ each
Nutritional Information Per 6 pizza puff serving
Whisk together your batter, then, stir in your cheeses. You need the full fat mozzarella to keep the puffs moist.
Two types of cheeses = tons of ooeey, gooey cheese on top and throughout.
Season with a sprinkle of sea salt and black pepper, then, let stand while you prep your toppings.
We decided to combine our pantries and pulled out everything that sounded good on pizza.
Chopped into bite size pieces for easy topping.
Spray your mini muffin tin with nonstick spray. Then, use a teaspoon to divide the dough into 24 mini muffin tins evenly.
It is more fun when you make these with people you think are super cool and have fun at it.
Add your toppings….Have fun with it. We mixed and matched all our 0-1 points+ ingredients to make a variety of pizza puff flavors. Top them off with the reserved cheese so it “melts” all over the top.
Turkey Pepperoni + Pineapple = the BEST combination ever!
Turkey Pepperoni + an Olive Slice + Sun Dried Tomatoes
Pickled Cherry Peppers + an Olive Slice
Sun Dried Tomatoes + Fresh Tomatoes
Bake at 375 for 25 minutes, until golden and puffy.
Resist eating them straight from the pan and put them on a place to serve.
Did I mention you get TWO of these for only 1 points+?!
Serve with warm pizza sauce as an appetizer or with a big crunchy salad for a complete meal.
NEW AT FRIENDS FOR WEIGHT LOSS
Hi everyone ~ I am taking tonight off to hang with The Husband so I am sharing one of my favorite recipes from the archives with you tonight…..I pretty much wish I was eating these right now
What are you going to put on the Pizza Puffs you make?
Happy Friday Eve all!