Happy Biggest Loser day all! I think my TV watching is “broken”. Each week I look forward to creating a delicious new recipe like this Sweet & Spicy Fire Cracker Chicken and sitting down to indulge in one of my favorite shows. I am not sure why but I am not IN LOVE with any of the shows this season.
I usually can get into the great scandal on the Bachelor/ette and I ALWAYS LOVE Biggest Loser. As many times as I have tried watching The Bachelor, it isn’t doing it for me this season. I STILL LOVE the Purple Girls on The Biggest Loser but I kind of find this season boring.
I am sure some would say not being a “couch potato” is a good thing but I kinda miss having a few shows I look forward to and LOVE watching each week.
This morning I declared it a DIRTY LATTE DAY! I was even nice and brought The Husband his drink before I headed into work since I know he is still sick. (4 points+)
One of my favorite things to go with my “chocolate milk” is a delicious 100% Whole Wheat Banana Muffin (4 points+). I rounded out my meal with a banana.
Before heading out for my lunchtime walk, I snacked on some cashews to tame my hunger. There are actually 5 hours from when I eat breakfast and lunch so I usually plan for a mid morning snack. Sometimes I have it and sometimes I don’t.
I absolutely LOVE the Fire Cracker Chicken at Panda Express and get it every year when it comes around for Chinese New Year. I have been wanting to make this recipe ever since I saw that they had it online.
The only thing is that their recipe online didn’t include all the ingredients listed in the instructions and I think needed to have some changes to match the actual flavor. Below is my take on their recipe.
FIRE CRACKER CHICKEN!
- 12 oz marinated chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger (fresh is better if you have it)
- 2 tsp Crushed Red Chili Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Black Beans Sauce
- 1 tsp Mirin ~ Sweet Japanese Cooking Wine
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Teriyaki Sauce
- 1 tsp Sriracha (hot chili sauce), optional if you like more heat
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch Mix (equal parts cornstarch powder and water)
- 2 scallions, diced, as an optional topper for color
- 12 oz Chicken Breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 tsp Cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Egg White
- 1 tsp Vegetable Oil
1. Stir together vegetable oil, egg white, cornstarch and salt in a mixing bowl. Add chicken, and mix, making sure to coat all of the chicken with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes to marinate. PREP EVERYTHING ELSE while the meat marinates because the recipe goes together fast.
2. Heat vegetable oil in a large wok (or non-stick skillet) over a high flame. Add marinated chicken and stir quickly, separating the meat and then cook for approximately 1 minute. Remove cooked chicken and drain well.
3. Add onion, bell peppers, garlic, ginger, chili pepper and black beans into the heated skillet. Stir for 1 minute.
4. Add cooked chicken, cooking wine, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, sriracha and cornstarch mix with water. Stir until the sauce boils and thickens. Add sesame oil and continue stirring until the ingredients are thoroughly mixed and cook through, about 3-4 minutes. Place finished product on a dish and serve with brown rice.
Makes 4, 1 cup servings
Nutritional information per serving using calorie count.com, 6 points+
Marinate your chicken…I have to admit, it doesn’t look pretty but this really keeps the chicken tender.
While the chicken marinates, prep all your ingredients because the cooking process takes minutes.
Chop your veggies.
Measure your sauces. I added the Teriyaki because I felt it needed to sweeter and the sriracha because I wanted it to be hotter. Next time I might use Thai Sweet Chili Sauce.
Heat your vegetable in a wok over medium high heat. You want the pan hot to cook things quickly. Add your chicken and cook for about 1 minute.
Remove your chicken and add your veggies. Cook for 1 minute, stirring continuously.
Add your chicken back along with your sauce.
Add the sesame oil and cook 3-4 minutes until the chicken is done and everything is mixed.
Serve over 1/2 cup brown rice (2 points+) and top with scallions. Dig in and enjoy! I actually LOVED the chicken and think it comes pretty close to their recipe. I think next go round, I’d double the sauce to have more sauce for my rice.
I brought the “chicken” and my co-worker brought the salad
TJ’s Organic Broccoli Slaw + Carrots + 1 Tbsp TJ’s Spicy Peanut Vinaigrette + crushed red pepper flakes = 1 HUGE bowl for 1 point+. I could honestly eat the entire bag I think.
The Husband had to work late today and I was STARVING when I got home. I know I probably should’ve had yogurt or fruit, but, I was craving that sourdough bread and butter. I know now why I don’t keep this bread in the house (4 points+)
I had really high hopes for dinner as something easy and delicious. I LOVED the Southwestern Stuffed Chicken Breasts that I tried before at Trader Joe’s so it only seemed fitting that I try the Pork Chops with Apple Almond Stuffing.
5 points+ per chop ~ not too bad.
You simply brown them in a bad then bake them at 400 for 25 minutes.
I honestly didn’t LOVE these at all. the pork chop was tasting but the filling was very bland. You couldn’t taste the apples or almonds and it honestly lacked seasoning.
I only had half a chop and gave the rest to The Husband. (3 points+)
Plus a few bites of leftover Super Cheesy LF Cauliflower Mac n Cheese. (3 points+)
My mouth wanted something else since it wasn’t happy with dinner. So, I had 2 more of these Peanut Butter Goodies. I know I’ve said it before, but, I LOVE these cookies! (4 points+)
NEW OVER AT FRIENDS FOR WEIGHT LOSS
* Last chance to enter to WIN the Green Lite Bites Cookbook! The winner is drawn tomorrow!
Win Annie’s new 1 point+ dressings ~ GO HERE to ENTER NOW!
Do you have any MUST SEE TV shows that you LOVE watching each week?
As you all know, I LOVE just about anything on the Food Network. Usually my “guilty pleasure” is The Bachelor/ette and my REAL show is Biggest Loser. But, I am sort of feeling like I need some NEW SHOWS in my life so share the ones you LOVE.