Fresh Blueberry Mini Muffins, 1 points+

by DanicasDaily on August 28, 2012

One of my favorite things to buy at the Farmer’s Market each year is fresh blueberries.  I love  blueberries so much that I find it hard to part with them for any reason.  I cannot resist popping them by the handful on our way home from the market.  They are usually gone before I even have a chance to think about how I’d use them in blueberry muffins, blueberry bread or even a blueberry tart.

As you all know though, I truly adore muffins and pretty much anything that is MINI.  There is something about the tart, yet, subtle sweetness of blueberries that really stands out when you combine it with a little butter, a little sugar and a whole lot of bite sized muffin goodness.

These muffins might be mini, but, they are packed with sweet, tangy blueberries and sprinkled with just the right amount of sweet sugary crystal topping.  Did I mention they are only 1 points+ each?  They are so good, I am pretty sure you will have at least two or three with your coffee or tea.

BLUEBERRY MINI MUFFINS (print it!)

INGREDIENTS:

• 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 large eggs, yolks & whites separated
  • 2 cups White Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 6 oz Chobani 0% Blueberry Greek yogurt
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries, chopped
  • 1 Tbsp sugar in the raw, optional

INSTRUCTIONS:

1.  Preheat oven to 350°F Coat two mini muffin tins with nonstick cooking spray.

2.  In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.  Add the egg yolks, one at a time.  Beat well after each.

3.  In a separate bowl, stir together the dry ingredients, flour through salt.

4.  With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, alternating two times with the Greek yogurt, then with the vanilla extract. Beat just until smooth.  Fold in the blueberries.

5.  In another bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.  Gently fold them into the muffin batter until blended.

6.  Spoon the batter into the prepared pan topping each muffin with a small sprinkle of the sugar in the raw. Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

7.  Cool for 5 minutes before removing to cool completely.

Makes 48 mini muffins, 1 points+ each

Nutritional information per blueberry mini muffin calculated at caloriecount.com

The “secret” ingredient that gives these blueberries muffins a hint of blueberry sweetness and keeps them moist without adding any fat is Chobani 0% Blueberry Greek Yogurt.

Made with real ingredients including fresh blueberries.

Another side benefit of 0% Greek Yogurt aside from adding in protein is that it gives muffins a delicious, rich, cake batter taste.

It is totally funny to make purple muffins Open-mouthed smile

I bought fresh blueberries from my local farmer’s market and froze them just so I could make these muffins. It is easier to chop them when they are frozen and you get bits of blueberry in every muffin without having the actual blueberry take over the entire mini muffin.

Thanks everyone for chiming in on which recipe you wanted to see next on yesterday’s post.  It was so fun to read all your votes and hear your thought process.  No worries though since I am posting all the recipes I showed you all on Sunday.

My Homemade Simply Filling Turkey Apple Sausage Recipe is coming up tomorrow.

1 Miz August 29, 2012 at 2:24 am

I GIGGLE I am the same with anything anything mini :-)

2 Jane August 29, 2012 at 4:50 am

These look yummy. Just an FYI, WW in Atlanta aren’t getting the active link until November. We may need you to smuggle them out for us!

3 K August 29, 2012 at 6:21 am

Those look delicious!

4 Judy August 29, 2012 at 6:36 am

Are you using “regular” butter or something like Brummel & Brown?

5 Lori August 29, 2012 at 7:21 am

Oooo…these sound so delicious! Can’t wait to try them!

6 Carrie August 29, 2012 at 7:31 am

These look really good!! Can’t wait to try them!

7 Barb K August 29, 2012 at 7:42 am

Jane-

You can purchase in the WW on-line store. It looks like there is a discount now which offsets the shipping cost.

-Barb

8 Jane August 29, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Thanks. I went to the WW site and found it but when it took me to purchase, I couldn’t seem to find it in their marketplace. Do you (by any chance) have a direct link?

9 Barb K August 29, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Here is the link: http://store.weightwatchers.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product2_10151_10051_19970_-1_12102_12102_12102_ProductDisplayErrorView

I an a online member only and was logged in when I added to my cart. I have not completed the purhcase yet; still on the fence. Not all the comments on the WW forum are favorable. I’m anxious to hear what our gadget reviewer has to say :)

10 DanicasDaily September 2, 2012 at 8:17 am

Hi Judy,

I use the real deal, regular butter. I think it tastes better in baked goods and the ingredient list is short/recognizable.

11 Kathy September 15, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Love your blog, and your recipes. Check them out daily. Question…I’m trying a week on SF, your recipes (specifically this delish blueberry muffin) is the PP value of 1 in case you are counting points, or is the dish SF plus one point? Thanks for the extra motivation!

12 DanicasDaily September 15, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Hi Kathy,

These muffins are not a Simply Filling Recipe. However, that being said, you would just count the points+ value against your WPA for non-Simply Filling Foods. I try to designate items this way by showing SF + 1 WPA. I also follow that with the full points+ value for people who are counting. It just appears to be the same in this case.