Honey Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts

by DanicasDaily on November 4, 2011

I grew up NEVER liking Brussels Sprouts at all.  I mean, they are little balls of strong flavored cabbage.  But, I learned that if you prepare them the right way, versus just boiling and buttering them, that they can have a phenomenal flavor.  In this recipe, I combine my favorite roasting ingredients (Olive Oil, Balsamic, Honey) to add a salty sweet balsamic caramelized flavor to these little balls of cabbage.

HONEY BALSAMIC ROASTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS  (print it!)

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 lb Brussels Sprouts, halved and quartered
  • 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 2 Tbsp Good Quality Balsamic Vinegar
  • 1 tsp honey
  • Sea Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
  • 1/4 c chopped walnuts, optional

INSTRUCTIONS:

1.  Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Line a cookie sheet with foil and spray with nonstick spray.

2.  Halve and quarter your Brussels sprouts. Combine Olive Oil, Balsamic and honey.  Pour over Brussels sprouts.  Stir to combine and coat.

3.  Pour Brussels sprouts onto prepared cookie sheet.  Sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.

4.  Bake for 20 minutes, stirring once half way through.  Add your walnuts during the last 5 minutes if using.  Enjoy!

Makes 4 servings, 2 points+ with the nuts, 1 points+ without

Nutritional Information Per Serving including nuts

STEP-BY-STEPS:

Quarter and halve your Brussels sprouts.  I like doing a little of both.

Whisk together your olive oil, balsamic and honey.

Pour mixture over Brussels sprouts and stir to coat.

Pour your balsamic spouts onto a prepared cookie sheet and sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper.

Roast for 20 minutes, stirring once half way through.

I dare ya ~ try it, and I bet you may just find you like Brussels sprouts too!

By far, this is one of my favorite recipes from the archives and you can now find it in my Recipage too!  It is the perfect addition this Thanksgiving.

Q’s

Why do they call it Brussels instead of Brussel?  That extra “s” always drives me bonkers Open-mouthed smile

Happy Friday all!  The Foodbuzz Festival starts tonight ~ I cannot wait to see you all again and to meet some new faces too!

Catch up with you all later!

1 Tay November 15, 2009 at 9:47 pm

Thanks for the recipe! I’ve heard such great things about brussels, but when I prepared them they tasted like barf. Is that too graphic? hehe. I’ll be sure to try out this version next time!

2 BroccoliHut November 15, 2009 at 10:18 pm

Yum! I might just have to make these for Thanksgiving dinner!

3 Katie November 16, 2009 at 6:05 am

LOOKS AMAZING! I was looking for a more creative brussels sprouts recipe.

4 Abby (Abbys Vegan Eats) November 16, 2009 at 6:18 am

OOH fabulous recipe for Thanksgiving.. love it!! :)

5 Kristin November 16, 2009 at 6:30 am

I love brussels- roasted is my fave! Thanks for the inspiration to make some ASAP!

xo
K

6 brandi November 16, 2009 at 6:54 am

I agree about roasted brussels – so good!

7 Jessie November 16, 2009 at 7:08 am

I have never eaten brussel sprouts. I got adventurous this weekend and bought some to make this week. I am so excited to have a recipe to try. Thanks!

8 Jenna November 16, 2009 at 7:49 am

love brussel sprouts!
jenna

9 Devin @ springpad November 16, 2009 at 8:28 am

Danica – Thanks for the recipe! I love roasted brussel sprouts and have been looking for a good recipe for Christmas dinner. This looks easy, too. Just sprung it, so now my search is over!

10 Alicia November 16, 2009 at 8:33 am

Looks awesome and I never have made them b/c I didn’t know how to cook them. Thanks!

11 Whitney November 16, 2009 at 9:47 am

I LOVE BRUSSEL SPROUTS THEY ARE AMAZING. Prob my favorite veggie.

12 Laura November 16, 2009 at 6:47 pm

HI Danica, I am a fairly new follower to the blog an I am really liking the recipes and tips. I too LOVE Traders Joes and use many of the same products as you. Thanks for the heads up on the Dark Chocolate Chips (the stackable ones), perfect for just a quick fix of Dark Chocolate. I thought I would pass along this cute youtube video

PS, I too made roasted brussels sprouts last night. Olive oil, sea salt, pepper, an apple chopped up and Pancetta. YUMMY

13 24 carrot November 16, 2009 at 7:35 pm

I love brusssels sprouts. Yours look like they glazed up and got nice and crunchy. Yum!

14 DanicasDaily November 16, 2009 at 9:07 pm

Tay ~ The longer you marinate the sprouts in the balsamic, the more honey balsamic flavor they will have over sprout flavor. Maybe marinade them for an hour and see if that helps? They do take getting used to :)

Laura ~ Welcome and I am so glad you are following along. I LOVE that TJ’s video – how true it is! Your brussels sprouts recipe sounds fantastic! I should try that next.

15 Olga November 17, 2009 at 8:35 am

I have the same mini whisk :)
Love roasting brussel sprouts. But usually add balsamic after the roasting process: should try this new method.

16 KefirGirl November 17, 2009 at 12:41 pm

I have Bruss Sprts in the fridge now and usually just toss with EVOO, salt and pepper. This recipe looks delish and I have all the ingredinets, but may sub walnuts for chopped almonds. thanks!

17 janetha November 17, 2009 at 4:08 pm

yum yummm can’t wait to make them!

18 Danielle Bermudez March 12, 2011 at 8:50 am

those look awesome! I always roast them but never tried balsamic and honey will try soon!!

19 janel November 4, 2011 at 7:59 am

So excited for this recipe! I was literally in the grocery store yesterday and saw them and was thinking how could I make them! Can’t wait to try this out!

20 Robin November 4, 2011 at 9:24 am

I like to make them the same way. Sometimes, I’ll add chopped walnuts and sprinkle parmesan cheese (from the can) on top!

21 Noura November 4, 2011 at 9:25 am

I absolutely *puffy heart* roasted Brussels Sprouts – it’s the “after effects” that kill me (if ya know what I mean ;) )

22 Linda November 4, 2011 at 11:18 am

adding a touch of cayenne pepper is really good too!

23 Shannon November 4, 2011 at 11:21 am

I love roasted brussel sprouts! I never used to like you, but I tried them roasted one time and I really liked the roasted flavor that comes out in them! I was lucky though when talking about vegetables because my mom would steam then cook them in garlic and olive oil, and sometimes she’d add caramalized shallots depending on the vegetable (my fav was with green beans, yum!!!)

24 Kathleen November 4, 2011 at 12:03 pm

That extra “s” in Brussels is because they’re named after Brussels, Belgium. I agree, though, it makes them hard to pronounce.

25 Lisa November 4, 2011 at 1:14 pm

These look lovely; saw the post on TWITTER but needed to see the pics!
Thanks for the idea and recipe :-)

26 Barbie k November 4, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Danica , you have a great eye when it comes to recipes. I can’t keep up I just made the pumpkin bites, Wow their yummy. Thank you for the inspiration.

27 ErinK. November 4, 2011 at 6:05 pm

can u roast other veggies in same? I just got a huge bottle of balsamic vinegar…but don’t think i would dig these…not a bs fan!

28 Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats November 4, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Well Brussels sprouts are one of my favorite veggies so I will have to try this recipe out!

P.s. Just so you know my Google Reader did it again! This post does not show up on it. Makes me wonder if maybe there are other posts I missed since I don’t often go straight to your website but today I was looking for something or I wouldn’t have seen this post!

29 Ginger K November 6, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Delish! Thank you so much for sharing! I now love Brussell Sprouts!

30 DanicasDaily November 16, 2011 at 7:28 am

Ohhhhh good to know. I still don’t like it lol. :)

31 DanicasDaily November 16, 2011 at 7:30 am

Erin, yes you can use this or any veggie. I love it with squashes and root veggies too.

32 DanicasDaily November 16, 2011 at 7:31 am

Hi Robin,

I wonder if it happens when I repost a recipe from the archives. Does that sound right?

Thanks,

33 Running_Diva January 3, 2012 at 9:39 am

Thanks so much for the inspiration..I decided to make this on Sunday (New Year’s Day). I added some pancetta and roasted it along with the sprouts. DELISH!!! Unfortunately my family is NOT a fan of brussel sprouts. That left more for me.

34 Megan May 8, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Hey! I’m not a big fan of BS, but my husband loves them. Made these for him tonight, and he loved it! Can’t go wrong with olive oil, balsamic, and honey! Thank you for sharing!

35 tom tom July 16, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Just had them… good flavor and enjoyed the sweetness/saltiness… watch them and don’t overcook… I’ll do 400 at 20 minutes next time.

36 kathie October 4, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Recipe looks good. I’d like to marinate for an hour, then cook a few hours ahead of time. Is that okay, or will they go weird? How long ahead can I marinate? How long ahead can I cook?

37 DanicasDaily October 23, 2012 at 8:39 am

Hi Kathie,

I think marinating them would be fantastic as it would help the flavor really settle in. You could cook the ahead of time and reheat/serve. However, wait to add the nuts until just before serving so they will stay crunchy.

38 mari November 29, 2012 at 6:08 am

My friend brought these to a dinner at my place and they were devoured by all! All 9 diners loved them, so I’m making them again tonight. Thanks for a great dish!