How To Make Hard Boiled Eggs

by DanicasDaily on March 15, 2012

Happy Friday eve all!!  A few years ago I did a post about How to Make the Perfect Hard Boiled Egg.  It’s ok, you can laugh at my awesome first year blogging photography in that post too ~ we all have to start somewhere, right?! LOL  I even posted this super cool video to show you how to peel hard boiled eggs without peeling the shell.  It’s always fun to visit posts from the past especially when they crack me up like this one.

While I can say I’ve NEVER actually tried the trick in the video, that post made all the difference in how I feel about hard boiled eggs.  As much as I LOVE Hard Boiled Eggs, I used to avoid making hard boiled eggs because I could NEVER peel them and I would get so frustrated I’d just end up throwing out all my practically peeled eggs and shells.  What can I say, I am an instant gratification person in every way and I hate it when the egg shell steals practically all your egg white while you try to peel it.

I am revisiting this post because it is one of the questions I get asked all the time.  How do you make your hard boiled eggs so perfect?  Well my friends, here is my not so big anymore secret!

If you follow this exact procedure, you will turn out with perfect hard boiled eggs and no shell attached every single time!

HOW TO MAKE THE PERFECT HARD BOILED EGG!!!

Hard Boiled Eggs

INSTRUCTIONS: (Print it!)

1. Cover the eggs with water ~ 2 inches to cover the eggs. Allow eggs to have a little room to move.

2. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of baking soda  over the eggs. (this is the trick I learned from the video & it absolutely works!)

3. Bring the eggs to a gradual boil over medium high heat.

4. Once boiling, cover, removing from heat and set your timer for 15 minutes.

5. When the timer goes off, cool the eggs by running cold water over the eggs.

6.  To peel the eggs, crack at the wide end on the soft spot (where there is usually a hole) then, tap the egg on the counter all around.  Slowly peel from the soft spot all around the egg.

7.  Run your egg under cool water as you peel it if you are having trouble with the shell sticking.

You all totally get bonus points if you can do it like he does in the video by holding the egg in your hand and blow vigorously into the narrow end of the egg, which will expel the egg out of it’s shell.

STEP – BY – STEP

The “Secret” Ingredient ~ Baking Soda!

Place your eggs in a sauce pan, cover with cool water until all the eggs are covered, about 2-3 inches.

Sprinkle the eggs with 1 teaspoon of baking soda.

Then, bring to a gradual boil over medium high heat.  Once the eggs are boiling, remove from heat, cover and let stand for 15 minutes.

Rinse in cold water and let stand for a few minutes to cool before peeling.

Start by tapping the wide end of the shell in the “soft spot” and then gently tap the shell on the counter.

I usually peel mine over the pan using the lid for the shells and the extra water in the pan as needed to help with peeling.

Store in an air tight container for up to 1 week for the perfect 2 points+ Simply Filling Snack!

Tadah!!! It really is THAT easy and I really have made a batch of hard boiled eggs almost every week this exact same way for over 3 years now.  It is the perfect way to use up the rest of a carton and to use your eggs for a snack, egg salad sandwiches, potato salad and more!

Q’s

How do you use your hard boiled eggs?  I can never have enough ideas or ways to eat the incredible, edible, egg. (Sorry, I couldn’t resist since it reminded me of the commercial) Open-mouthed smile

I am almost starting to feel normal again and over this awful cold!  I hope to be back tomorrow with a normal daily that doesn’t involve soup!

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats March 15, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Danica,

I’ve always been impressed whenever I see you make such a healthy snack choice such as hard-boiled eggs! I myself never ever make them because of the damn shell! Thanks to your tutorial, I am going to give it a shot and stop snacking on junk! Thanks!

Celine March 16, 2012 at 1:08 am

Danica,

Thank you so much for the tip, I’m going to give it a try ! YAY !

I hope you’ll feel better soon !

Kati S. March 16, 2012 at 6:17 am

I also tried the blowing technique and it never worked for me either. I gave myself a headache from trying!

Carol S. March 16, 2012 at 8:05 am

My husband taught me the “blowing” method of peeling eggs. It really only works well if the eggs are still fairly warm and you have enough breath to pop them out of the shell. It used to be something the kids begged to help with. I always have the pot with the water under me when doing his because it is one way to rinse off the eggs. I have never used baking soda, Ill have to try that.. Feel better soon!

Chris March 16, 2012 at 8:10 am

Did you see the pinterest pin about baking eggs. Interesting. May try it the next time I do hardboiled,”hard baked” eggs.

Leslie March 16, 2012 at 8:26 am

I’ve used the same method, minus the baking soda, for years. I read somewhere running cold water over the eggs as soon as they are done actually helps pull the egg away from the shell a bit so they are easy to peel.

Barb k. March 16, 2012 at 8:49 am

I’ve struggled for years. I can’t wait to try this method. THANK YOU!

mary @ what's cookin with mary March 16, 2012 at 8:53 am

I’m not sure why, but I hardly ever make hard boiled eggs… I think it’s bc I don’t like peeling them ;0) …but when I do, I almost always make a version of this:

Cassia March 16, 2012 at 9:12 am

Hi Danica,
Thank you for the tips.
Glad to hear you are feeling better.
Have a blessed day!

Life's a Bowl March 16, 2012 at 9:47 am

I’ve never added baking powder to my boiled eggs- gonna have to try it out!

P.S. I pinned steps for BAKING eggs… I never thought about baking eggs in a shell before but they’re supposedly just like boiled eggs!

Carrie March 16, 2012 at 2:44 pm

I have not used baking soda, but will try that for sure next time. There is nothing more frustrating than taking the time to boil them only to have them not peel properly.

I saw the “baked” hard boiled egg idea on Pinterest as well, I have not tried it either. The “blow the egg out of the shell” method didn’t work from me either, felt pretty stupid doing it too! lol

Hope you are feeling better Danica.

janetha March 16, 2012 at 11:28 pm

oooo i cannot wait to give this a shot!

Julee March 21, 2012 at 7:10 am

So you peel all the eggs before storing them?

DanicasDaily March 29, 2012 at 8:03 am

Hi Julee,

Yes, I do peel all my eggs before storing them because it makes it easier to grab and go. However, you do not need to do that to store them if you do not want to.

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats March 21, 2012 at 11:34 am

So I tried this method and it didn’t work at all!! =( I followed the steps to the T, but after 15 minutes of sitting in the water after boiling and quiet a while of letting them cool in cold water, none of my eggs had a “soft spot”. What could have gone wrong!?

Randi March 22, 2012 at 8:07 pm

If your eggs are too new, they wont peel. It doesnt matter how much baking soda you add. I used to get farm fresh eggs and they would never peel, I didnt know why so I looked it up. Now, I’ll get some eggs from the market and will wait a week or two before I make HCE( hard cooked eggs). Works everytime.

Sam July 30, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Baking soda and baking powder are not the same thing. Can anybody confirm it works for both? I only ask because it’s easy to find baking powder (as in the written directions) but difficult to find baking soda (as in the pictures) where I live.
Thanks!

DanicasDaily July 31, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Sam,

Great catch! It is Baking Soda, not powder – I have updated my post to reflect soda in all statements.

Thanks for letting me know,