How To Make Homemade Crockpot Stewed Tomatoes

by DanicasDaily on October 19, 2010

One of the ingredients I ALWAYS have on hand is Organic Diced and Stewed Tomatoes. No Salt Added, Fire Roasted with Roasted Garlic and Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies are staples I use often in recipes.

I honestly never thought about making my own since they are fairly inexpensive to buy.  Recently I read an article that really shocked me about 7 things that should NEVER cross your lips….guess what ~ “CANNED TOMATO PRODUCTS” was one of them.  The reason ~ the acid in the tomatoes causes BPA to leach into your food.

Their recommendation is to buy jarred tomato products only, but, for me this only seems to work for pizza and pasta sauces.  In fact, I am not sure I’ve ever seen diced tomatoes sold in a jar.

MY SOLUTION is to harvest Mr. Stripey and instead of making only salsa, whip up some Homemade Slow Cooker Stewed Tomatoes that I can freeze in “15 oz can” servings and pull out whenever needed.  I like being able to control what goes into my tomatoes and I think you will find that they are sweet enough on their own, no additional sugar is needed.

It is surprisingly easy and a little fun to make homemade stewed tomatoes.  The best part is after all the prep work is done, you simply turn your crockpot on and a few hours later they are done.

HOMEMADE CROCKPOT STEWED TOMATOES

Slow Cooker Stewed Tomatoes

INGREDIENTS

2 lbs tomatoes, any variety

1/2 green bell pepper, chopped

2 medium celery stalks, chopped

1/2 onion, chopped

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 teaspoon Dried Italian Seasoning

1 teaspoon Sea Salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black peper

2 bay leaves

Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes, optional

Variations:

Add 1/2 cup chopped basil for Stewed Tomatoes with Basil

Add 2 4 oz cans of diced green chilies for Stewed Tomatoes with Diced Green Chilies

INSTRUCTIONS

1.  Rinse tomatoes, core and slice off the bottom stem.  Add tomatoes to boiling water and cook for 2 minutes.  Remove to an ice bath for 1 minute to stop cooking.

2.  Remove tomato skins and roughly chop or cut into wedges.  Add tomatoes to your slow cooker along with the remaining ingredients.

3.  Cook on low for 6-7 hours or high for 3-4 hours.  Serve as a side dish, add to your favorite recipes or freeze in individual “canned – think 15 oz or 28 oz ) servings for use in future recipes.

Makes one 28 oz batch of stewed tomatoes, approximately 4 cups

STEP-BY-STEP

You can use any variety of tomatoes ~ I used Mr. Stripey Heirloom tomatoes because it’s what we had in our garden.

Mr. Stripey Heirloom Tomatoes

Core your tomatoes by slicing out the stem and then slice off the bottom.

Heirloom TomatoesTomato Tops and BottomsCored Tomatoes

Meanwhile, add enough water to cover the tomatoes to a large stock pot and bring to a boil.

Boiling Stock Pot

Once the water reaches a rolling boil, add your tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes.

Blanched Tomatoes

Prepare your “ice bath” and have it ready next to your boiling tomatoes.

Ice Bath

Immediately scoop your tomatoes out of the boiling water and place in the ice batch to stop the cooking process.

How to peel tomato skins

After tomatoes have cooled, about 1 minute, remove from ice bath and place in a boil.

Boiled tomatoes

The peels should come right off.  DO NOT SKIP this step as you will end up with funky, hard peels in your stewed tomatoes.

Skinless tomatoes

They look so weird, but, kinda cool too when the tomatoes are peeled :)

Blanched Heirloom Tomato

Roughly chop the tomatoes or slice into wedges, whatever your preference.  You could leave them whole as well and just put them straight into your slow cooker.

Diced Tomatoes

Chop your celery, bell pepper, onion and garlic.

Stewed tomato flavor enhancers

Add everything to the crockpot starting with the tomatoes.

Diced stewed tomatoes

Then, your chopped veggies.

Crockpot Diced Tomatoes

Finishing with your spices ~ bay leaf, italian seasoning, sea salt and a black pepper.

Stewed Tomato Spices

Stir to combine and set your slow cooker to cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 5 hours.

Homemade Stewed Tomatoes

Tadah!!! Remove your Bay Leaves and you are done.  Homemade stewed tomatoes that can be frozen and used in all your favorite recipes that require diced or stewed tomatoes.  Think chili, soups, pasta sauces, salsas and more.

Crockpot Stewed Tomatoes

One benefit I never realized ~ the flavor of homemade diced stewed tomatoes is so much tastier than store bought.  I guess it’s that whole a tomato off the vine taste 10 x’s better than one bought at the store.

What is your favorite way to use extra tomatoes?  Mine used to be to make salsa, but, I  think this might be my new favorite thing.  Who knows, I may tackle tomato paste next ;)

I am guest posting with some pumpkin-ney goodness over at Zesty Cook tomorrow.  Be sure to stop by and check it out if you want a little fall baking inspiration.

Eden October 19, 2010 at 10:52 pm

I love making gazpacho soup with extra tomatoes. Or even for homemade ketchup. I’m a condiment whore, so I’m all about ketchup!

Lauren October 20, 2010 at 3:48 am

I have to be honest, it seems a bit complicated. Well not complicated, just involved. LoL Opening a can seems so much easier but these do look soooooooo much better!!

eatmovelove October 20, 2010 at 9:16 am

Hi Danica!

Seen your Pumpkin loaf on ZestyCook and fell in LOVE with it! The recipe and the bread just looks so beautiful (and healthy!). Can’t wait to try it.

Your site is lovely – I’m bookmarking it right away. I seen The Social Network – it was good wasn’t it though? Jessie Eisenberg was soooo good – I hope he gets an Oscar nod ;)

Sami October 20, 2010 at 9:37 am

you are dedicated, my dear! that looks like a lotta work :) but well worth it!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) October 20, 2010 at 11:09 am

This recipe/ idea is so cool Danica! I need to learn how to can and then make huge batches in the summer time and have sun ripened summer tomato products for the rest of the year.

Allison October 20, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Thanks for the recipe and info! I am always paranoid about the things I am putting in my body unawares! I’ll have to try this – on the weekend!
~Allison
Fit&Fab Living

Liz October 23, 2010 at 12:55 pm

I’m a little late in reading it, but I just clicked on that article you linked to… That kind of makes me just want to start a farm and eat only things I grow/make! SCARY!! Luckily I currently have some tomatoes my grandma and I canned, but that surely won’t last me until next season. Maybe a couple more months, if I’m lucky. I so use the TJ’s cartons sometimes, but I guess I will make more of a point of using them and the POMI ones (think I’ve seen those at WF) in the future. And I’m definitely getting some kind of tomato plant for my balcony next summer… my bro even had luck with those upside down ones so maybe I’ll try that :)

Sandy Shahwan March 2, 2012 at 8:59 am

I tried this and it is delicious, although I used several kinds of small tomatoes, cherry, grape and one the size of a ping pong ball and did not peel them because their skins were so soft. I lived in the Middle East for 15 yrs and everyone there makes their own stewed tomatoes and they eat it with Arabic bread or use it in recipes. I never used a crock pot before but it was so easy. Thanks.

Sharon September 15, 2013 at 8:04 am

If you are going to freeze them, what kind of container do you put them in?

DanicasDaily October 26, 2013 at 6:57 am

HI Sharon,

I use the stackable ziploc frozen containers and/or the quart size ziploc bags when I freeze these tomatoes.