I felt like an elephant…..

by DanicasDaily on May 20, 2014

And I am pretty sure I shook the house, but, I did it!  After months of using my beloved treadmill as a clothes hanger, I hopped on and huffed and puffed my way through day 1 of Couch to 5K going 30 minutes!  I did a 5 minute walking warm up, 20 minute jog/walk intervals and 5 minute walking cool down.  I have to say the 60 jogging seconds goes so slow while the 90 second walks go so fast LOL.  I also sprinted out my last 60 second jog increasing the speed every 5 seconds.

You know what though ~ all that matters is I set a goal today to get my treadmill on and no matter how pretty it wasn’t, I did it.  And, I know that next time, I’ll be that much better at it….maybe just giraffe or hippopotamus like…lol

I knew I’d be having a late lunch today, so I whipped up a Hearty breakfast for The Husband and I.

My favorite Flapjacks ever ~ Kodiak Cakes! I topped both with 1 tsp. whipped butter split between the two and 1 Tbsp. Trader Joe’s Pure Maple Syrup.  (6 points+)

IMG_1925

If you heat your syrup, it goes further giving you enough to slather two pieces of Trader Joe’s Peppered Turkey Bacon ~ salty, crunchy, sweet and the best way to eat you bacon. (Just don’t ask The Husband who thinks I am weird for putting syrup on my bacon…like putting the syrup he puts on his sausage is different somehow) Open-mouthed smile (2 points+).

IMG_1927IMG_1926

I did stop and pick up a tall nonfat latte for my road trip today.  (3 points+)

I spent my morning at one of my co-worker’s presentations and successfully declined having lunch as I was determined to eat my Asparagus Couscous Salad that I made up.

When I walked in the door to my office, my other co-worker surprised me with my favorite salad from Grace’s Table.

Organic Mixed Greens with cherry tomatoes, colorful carrots, radishes which I think I might like now, fennel which I pick out, and a few sliced almonds…..

IMG_1931

Topped with perfectly grilled chicken – 3 oz. to be exact.

IMG_1933

Tossed in a homemade Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette.  The dressing makes this salad amazing and one I could eat every day. (6 points+)

IMG_1935

Oh and she brought us root vegetable chips…..I do not know what it is about these chips, but, I could honestly eat bowls of these.  We both “pretend” they are better for us than regular chips because well they are vegetables and all…you know because “potato chips” are totally different – ha! 4 points+ for my share.

IMG_1936

For dinner, we headed over to Mary’s Pizza Shack for big house salads.  I can definitely say I’ve checked off my 5 a day today and then some.  Served up with ranch forked dipped on the side.  I almost finished this……8 points+

IMG_1939

STATS:

• 26 Daily Points+, 0WPA used, 42 WPA remaining
  • I am so close to 10,000 steps ~ perhaps I’ll walk around the house to see if I can catch it before the day is over.

Thanks for sharing your pizza and pepper ideas yesterday.  I now want to try Trio Tomato Pizza and Sausage Stuffed Spicy Peppers!  I think I am going to watch The Bachelorette premiere On Demand then decide…..

QUESTION OF THE DAY:

What is one success you had today that you are proud of?

1 Jen May 21, 2014 at 4:34 am

How do you get your Kodiak cakes to look crispy? When I make them, I use PAM on the griddle and they turn out fluffy (like a muffin top). I prefer crispy!

BTW, I too love root chips, preferably the Taro. We used to be able to find bags of just the taro chips…YUM!

2 Catherine Beaudet May 21, 2014 at 5:06 am

To Jen, to get them to crisp, you have to keep the batter thin in the pan.

As for the question of what was my success: It’s the little things that count, right? Then my success so far is the fact that I am not suffering any pain in my left knee today… though the day is still young so that may end up changing.

Trying to stay positive ^_^

3 Nicole May 21, 2014 at 7:37 am

great job on starting the c25k! I’m on week 4 – every single day it is a challenge, but I’m always amazed that I can go a little further!

4 dmc1230 May 21, 2014 at 8:03 am

My WW leader (who is fabulous btw!) challenged us to spend 5 minutes every day this week learning something about nutrition. It IS challenging because there is a lot of conflicting info out there. Anyway, I’m proud that I’ve been working on that.

Danica…you will go from feeling like an elephant to feeling like a swift, lean gazelle in no time! Thanks for the inspiration.

5 Amy May 21, 2014 at 9:01 am

I am also in Week 4! This week is the first week my legs don’t feel 100% like lead. lol Maybe just 75%. :)

6 Leah @ goodnight cheese May 21, 2014 at 9:30 am

Even though we woke up later than planned, we headed to the gym before work. I’m so glad we went and it’s nice to know the evening is now free.

7 Nicole May 21, 2014 at 10:44 am

haha – I know what you mean!!! My knees have been giving me a fit – been trying to really stretch them. I’m probably going to stay on week 4 next week cause right now I can only do 3 /5/3/3 – got to get to the 3/5/3/5! ;-) AT the end of last week though I thought “there is no way I can run 5 minutes!” I did! :-)

8 Amy May 21, 2014 at 10:49 am

Yeah, my knees have ached too. I started doing a strength training program that focuses a lot of squats and lunges (Chalean Extreme), and that has helped a lot. Like, I am so glad I decided to do strength training right along with running. I do the strength training circuits on my run days so I also get an extra stretch at the end.

I thought the same thing about the five-minute runs but they’ve gotten better. I was going to repeat Week 4, but I think I am going to try to start Week 5 tonight. That 20-min run on Day 3 intimidates the crap out of me, but I’m not going to focus on that. One good thing about running more is that the workouts go by faster. I can definitely appreciate that. :)

Best of luck to you!!

9 Nicole May 21, 2014 at 10:53 am

20 minute run?!!! haven’t looked that far ahead – yikes!!! lol Strength training – will have to look into that!!! Had knee surgery in 2010 – so I baby it quite a bit – good luck to you too – will have to let me know how week 5 goes for you!

10 Amy May 21, 2014 at 10:58 am

For some reason, I can’t reply to your last message.

Haha, I shouldn’t have told you! If you want, you can friend me on Instagram or FB (both screennames are coachamymichelle). I share my progress photos and workout photos. There will definitely be a recap of the W5D1 run tonight, if I survive. lol

Strength training will definitely help your knees, but take care of them. Definitely don’t want to injure them again.

11 Nicole May 21, 2014 at 11:03 am

not coming up on fb – mine is JeffandNicole Landrum Miller

12 Amy May 21, 2014 at 11:09 am

That’s weird. I sent you a message just now. It should be in your Other folder. I noticed you live in Georgia too! I’m up near Atlanta but will be moving to Savannah late next year. :)

13 Nancy May 21, 2014 at 5:39 pm

omg, perfect questions for today.

1) I ordered a fitbit!!!!!
2) Stuck to my daily points values. :)

30 days till summer and I’m gonna give it a real try!

14 Gail H. May 22, 2014 at 3:09 am

When I read your title I literally laughed out loud! I sure know that feeling! I lost my fitbit flex today…it somehow popped off my arm during my sister’s b’day dinner at a local restaurant and I didn’t realize it until we got home :( I really need to get back to my walking which hasn’t happened since my 5K last week…BUT I do have a new goal: Lose 20 lbs. by my b’day 8/25…14 weeks…I can do it!!

15 Melissa May 22, 2014 at 6:55 pm

I finally found Kodiak Cakes at Target here in the Midwest and they are everything you have always talked about! Love them! Do you microwave your turkey bacon? I have not had any luck cooking turkey bacon.

16 Heidi May 24, 2014 at 1:58 pm

I totally get the syrup on bacon! I do it too. Delicious!! That salad looks so yummy. I love a good salad.