This year for the Super Bowl I was asked if I could bring some Red & Gold Food for our Weight Watcher friendly Super Bowl Party. I had so many ideas of the things I have made before that were Red & Gold, but, the one thing that really stuck in my mind was Pineapple Upside Down Cake.
As much as The Husband tried to convince me it was totally normal to serve cake to everyone for breakfast, I couldn’t do it. Instead, I found a way to put a healthy spin on the classic Pineapple Cake with these cute little Pineapple Upside Right Mini Muffins by subbing out some of the butter and sugar for protein rich Greek Yogurt and making the cake mix from scratch..
I really had hoped to create this crispy brown sugar crumble topping like you see on so many muffins and top them with a sweet, red cherry slice. The topping thing didn’t quite work out the way I had hoped as it just absorbed right into the muffin.
Whether you add the topper or skip it, these little muffins are only 1 points+ and definitely worth having more than one!
INSIDE OUT PINEAPPLE MINI MUFFINS (print it!)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs, yolks & whites separated
- 2 cups White Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 tsp.. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 6 oz Chobani 2% Pineapple Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 15 oz crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/4 cup Maraschino cherries, sliced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 Tbsp. Butter
1. Preheat oven to 350°F Coat two mini muffin tins with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the egg yolks, one at a time. Beat well after each.
3. In a separate bowl, stir together the dry ingredients.
4. With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, alternating two times with the Greek yogurt, then add the vanilla extract. Beat just until smooth. Fold in the pineapple.
5. In another bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold them into the muffin batter until blended.
6. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan topping each muffin with a 1 tsp. sprinkle of the topping if using and 1 cherry slice. Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to cool completely.
Makes 48 mini muffins, 1 points+ each
Nutritional Information Per Pineapple Mini Muffin calculated at caloriecount.com
They totally taste like Pineapple Upside Down Cake, but, for only 1 points+ each. Serve them up for breakfast or tell everyone they are mini cakes for dessert
This week my schedule is crazy and insane with work and fun activities planned every single night. I will catch up with all your emails etc. this weekend and see you all tomorrow with those Taco Cups or a pretty funny Wordless Wednesday a la The Husband.