1 points+ “Light” Wine & The Wurst Restaurant….

by DanicasDaily on January 14, 2013

Happy Monday all!  Boy, there is absolutely no slipping anything past you all regarding my announcements on yesterday’s post.  I actually meant to post that Announcement #2 was coming up today, but, I kinda, sorta forgot that part yesterday.  You all cracked me up so much, I pondered stretching it out further and saying…..to be continued, but, I can’t do that lol.

Announcement #2 ~ We are going to Australia next month!!  I will be heading over to our Corporate office to meet everyone and attend a few training sessions.  The Husband gets to tag along and we will be spending a little extra time in Adelaide, Sydney and anywhere we can manage to drive on the “wrong” side of the road to!  I cannot wait to be in the warm sunshine on the beach since it’s summer over there right now.

See ~ that was totally worth waiting for, right?!  I will be posting about our adventures along the way……

This morning I was up way too early to head out to the winery to observe the bottling of one of our new Light Wines (it’s so awesome, you all are going to love it!)

Before hitting the road, I made Healthy Egg Rolls for The Husband and I for breakfast.

(SF + 1 WPA) – 4 points+

Served up with “homemade” apple pear juice in our Vitamix.  1 pear, 1 apple, 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup ice….split in two glasses ~ Refreshing ~ it tasted just like biting into a pear-apple.

Next month we will be launching a new Light Grape Wine series that comes in 4 different varieties.  Rose, White Blend, Red Blend and Chardonnay.

Today marked the first day we took all those delicious grapes that were crushed in barrels and put them into bottles to get ready for sale.

The bottling process takes just minutes…..All the bottles are loaded onto the conveyor belt.

This machine fills them up with all that delicious, crisp, rose wine.

The labels are glued on by the machine….

Did I mention that every single variety is ONLY 1 POINTS+ for 5 oz?! That means you really can fill your 10 oz wine glass for only 2 points+!

After the labels are glued, the bottles are placed into their 12 pack boxes, wax glued shut and the labels are placed on the boxes.  They are moved to pallets, packaged and ready to ship.

The new Light Grape Website is currently under construction but it will be up by the time these bottles hit the shelves.  I will be sure to let you all know where you can find them too.

I will be the first to tell you all I cannot wait to get my hands on some of this wine to taste…..I was literally “willing” it today at 10 am to “be done” just so I could try it!

After observing the bottling, we all headed over to Healdsburg to go to The Wurst.  I am not sure I can even begin to describe all the deliciousness at this Sausage and Beer Garden.  Their menu honestly caters to everyone from indulgent choices, light choices and even vegan/vegetarian items.

I totally think it’s funny that they have a big, life size sausage on the wall….I wonder if they found that painting or had it made?

They have this beautiful display case where you can choose your burger or dog – all are homemade at The Wurst Restaurant.

They pretty much had me when I saw their condiment bar ~ they know the way to my heart!

Believe it or not, I didn’t try them all.  From the top left ~ roasted red pepper relish, giardinera, sweet relish, dill pickle relish, jalapeno ketchup (I could’ve licked this container), beer mustard, sweet & hot mustard, whole grain mustard and Dijon.

I am glad everyone was up for sharing it all so we could try a little of everything.

I had half of this Junior Cowboy Burger ~ “Liar’s BBQ sauce, cheddar cheese, onion rings, lettuce, tomato, homemade bread & butter pickles” (they forgot the bacon – gasp!) 7 points+

Plus 1/3 of this Detroit Polish with a little of all my toppings – It has beer in it! (4 points+)

The best Sweet Potato Fries I’ve ever had in my life…..it’s a good thing I was sharing with a group or I would’ve eaten all of them!  They were salty, sweet, spicy, crispy and literally melted in your mouth.  (5 points+)

I cannot wait to take The Husband to check out The Wurst ~ it’s totally a place made for him and believe it or not, I want to try their Mediterranean Salad and Falafel Burger.

When I walked in the door, The Husband actually requested to head over to Panda Express.  I think he said that because it’s my birthday week and because they have…….

FIRE CRACKER CHICKEN!!! (only until January 29th)

IMG_8541_thumb

I picked 2 entrees ~ Fire Cracker Chicken above (6 points+) and String Bean Chicken below (4 points+)….

IMG_1983_thumb (1)

Then, swapped my chow mein/fried rice for steamed veggies to save on points+.

ONLY 10 points+ ~ for my entire meal….and Simply Filling Like (SFL)

IMG_9958_thumb

Do you all remember Jen of It Sux To Be Fat from her fantastic Thanksgiving Survival Tips?  She asked me if I could create a healthy winter soup for her readers.

Considering my love of spicy, thick, chunky soups that are packed with veggies…..

And how I could eat soup practically ever day this winter, I couldn’t pass up a reason to get cookin’ in the kitchen.

This recipe has a nice spicy kick from the Spicy Italian Chicken Sausage with a nice sweet bite from the sun dried tomatoes.

Start to finish it takes 30 minutes and you have enough soup to freeze a few servings for another day when you do not feel like cooking.

So, what are you waiting for?  Head on over here to It Sux To Be Fat to get the recipe.

STATS:

• AL – 1 Activity Point (only 2 days until I can workout again!) – 79%
  • 0 WPA used, 40 WPA remaining, 29 Daily Points+

QUESTION OF THE DAY:

If you could pick one Light Grape Wine Flavor to try – which would it be?

For me, I’d pick the Rose and not just because I saw and smelled it bottled.  It’s that description of berries, watermelon and cherries that has me intrigued.

Diana January 14, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Would love to try the red. Not a big wine drinker but my Dr suggested 4oz a day. Learning to like it but might love it with less calories!!

Sandi January 14, 2013 at 10:40 pm

I would pick the rose too… rose is my favorite wine in general. Cannot wait to try this!

Kristen Ruby January 15, 2013 at 12:01 am

I went to Australia last year and spent a week in Sydney…you should climb the Sydney Harbor Bridge! We did the Twilight Tour (non-vamp related) and it was amazing. We started on the way up while the sun was setting and came down with all of the twinkling city lights. It was such a memorable experience…I highly recommend it! And the Taronga Zoo is fabulous. We saw their bird show there and it was phenomenal. Australia is awesome! I hope you have a great trip. :0)

joanne January 15, 2013 at 7:40 am

rose, first, hope it will sold in Illinois, love to have a glass of wine with Cougar Town…

Jen B January 15, 2013 at 7:49 am

Question/Comment regarding the Vitamix: I’d purchased one a year or so ago, but returned it once my WW leader told me that juicing things that are zero points results in a beverage that is NOT zero points. How are you treating this?

NORMA DIFAZIO January 15, 2013 at 8:18 am

Yipeeee! I love it when you travel! Now I can go…without packing my bags! You are the best…you to “hubby”…
FYI….18 here in Las Vegas….I’m soooo done with this cold weather.

Stefania January 15, 2013 at 9:18 am

Will this delicious sounding wine be available in Ontario, Canada (at the LCBO)?

DanicasDaily March 31, 2013 at 11:31 am

Hi Stefania,

We are working at trying to get the Light Wines for sale in Canada. I will make sure I give a shout out when that happens.

latinabarbi January 15, 2013 at 9:58 am

MY PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED!!!

Amy Timm January 15, 2013 at 10:09 am

I would go for the rose or the white blend. SO JEALOUS you are going to Australia. That is my dream vacation!

Jill January 15, 2013 at 10:31 am

Australia is AMAZING! I spent 6 weeks there… Melbourne, Sydney, Cairns, Brisbane, and Canberra. Loved every minute! Have fun!!!!!

Jill January 15, 2013 at 10:32 am

Do you know of any company that makes a light Moscato? That is my favorite wine.

DanicasDaily March 31, 2013 at 11:31 am

Hi Jill,

You know I do not know a company that makes a Light Moscato but I would be all over that too!

Lucia January 15, 2013 at 11:42 am

I will also pick the rose…. but what makes it light? Also the question on the vitamix….I thought because you are juicing with skins and all it should retain the value of the fruit/vegetable…. correct?

Stacey P. January 15, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Rose…..hopefully I will be able to find that here in AZ. Maybe Total wine and more will get it??

kari January 15, 2013 at 1:59 pm

cant wait for the wine – woohooo – right now 5oz is 4pts for white. Also put the calc for 10oz into pts calc as 0/0/12/0 and comes up still only 1 pt. Hope im doing it right – but 10oz for 1 or 2 pts – Im sold.

Laurie January 15, 2013 at 3:21 pm

I would be willing to be a taste tester for you and do a write up on all 4 varieties. Only to be supportive of your new job, of course!

Georgia January 15, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Greetings from down under! So glad you’ll get to experience our beautiful country. For the record, it’s actually the right side of the road…even though it’s the left ;)
Be sure to pack lots of light layering pieces – the weather can be extremely hot and unpredictable in Feb.
Look forward to reading about your adventures and feel free to sing out if you need any info!
G :)

Amy January 15, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Danica I am so envious of your job! How did you get into the industry??

DanicasDaily March 31, 2013 at 11:32 am

Hi Amy,

I kept an eye out for companies that had openings for my career path in Napa and applied.

Erica D January 15, 2013 at 7:37 pm

That’s how my boss makes his sweet potato fries! He balances sweet, salty, and spicy by using salt, sugar, and chile powder. Awesome!

Gail H. January 16, 2013 at 3:55 am

Are you serious…ALL of them! I’m married to an Aussie and never drank a drop until I married him almost 14 years ago…now I drink a glass with dinner every night and have a huge wine fridge in my living room :) LOVE that you’re going to Oz! On my first trip many years ago, I remember flying over the Sydney Harbour Bridge and seeing the Opera House for the first time…it brought me to tears! I’m getting ready for my 7th trip in April…but after landing in Sydney, we have another plane trip over to Perth, and then a 3 hour drive in a car south to Busselton, on the coast of WA. Gotta make the soup this week-end!

hanna January 18, 2013 at 7:17 am

Also wondering if this wine will be available in Ontario Canada(LCBO) Liquor Control Board of Ontario,,,yes our liquor consumption is controlled by the Government because we are babies. Crazy isn’t it?

DanicasDaily March 31, 2013 at 11:33 am

Hi Hanna,

We are working at trying to get our Light Wines listed in Canada – hopefully we will get them there in the next year or so.