Low Fat Lasagna Cups, 2 points+

by DanicasDaily on February 1, 2013

I think out of all the Won Ton Recipes I have ever made from potstickers to tiny tacos to banana nutella won tons, that these 2 points+ Low Fat Lasagna Cups might take the cake or the cupcake that is I LOVE pasta of all shapes, sizes and styles, but, lasagna is probably my 2nd favorite pasta after mac n cheese.

As I was browsing ideas for how to use up my Won Ton Wrappers aside from ravioli’s when I came across this idea for making Lasagna Cupcakes.  I was intrigued by the name and when I clicked to the recipe, I knew I had to create my own Weight Watcher friendly 2 points+ Lasagna Cupcakes.

I LOVE the idea of having little cheesy, saucy bites of vegetable lasagna.  I LOVE how the tops of these Lasagna Cups are covered with cheesy goodness and you can break off bits of the crunchy outer shell.

You could easily take a short cut and use a jarred sauce, but, if you have the time, make your own with or without meat and with RED WINE~ it’s definitely worth it!  The cups are delicious on the first day, but, as with any good red wine pasta sauce, they are even better the next day.

Did I mention they only take minutes to make and bake?!  Serve them up with a simple green salad and I bet everyone at the table will be impressed.

LOW FAT LASAGNA CUPS (print it!)

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 1/2 cups Veggie Marinara, jarred or homemade
  • 3 ounce fresh spinach, minced
  • 1/2 cup carrots, minced
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 cup fat free ricotta cheese
  • 1 egg white
  • 1 tsp Italian seasoning
  • Dashes of sea salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper flakes
  • 8 oz low-fat mozzarella cheese
  • 1 oz parmesan, grated
  • 24 small square wonton wrappers
  • Fresh basil leaves for garnish, optional

INSTRUCTIONS:

1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place a 12 cup standard muffin tin on a cookie sheet and spray each cup with nonstick spray.  Set it aside.

2.   In a medium bowl, combine spinach through crushed red pepper flakes.. Mix well then stir in 1/3 cup of the mozzarella.  Set aside.

3.  Start layering your lasagna cupcakes. Begin with a wonton wrapper and press it into the bottom of each muffin tin.  Sprinkle a little Parmesan cheese, ricotta cheese mix and mozzarella cheese. Then, top with a little marinara sauce. Use around 1-2 teaspoons of all the ingredients depending on your personal preference, smoothing the surfaces with the back of a spoon after each addition. Repeat layers ending with marinara sauce. Top with reserved Parmesan and mozzarella cheese.

4.  Bake for 18-20 minutes or until edges are brown. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. To remove use a knife to loosen the edges then pop each lasagna out.

5.  Garnish with basil and serve.

Makes 12 Lasagna Won Ton Cups, 2 points+ each, 100% Simply Filling with Fat Free Cheeses

Nutritional information per cup, calculated using caloriecount.com

STEP – BY STEP:

I definitely think the “secret ingredient” ingredient in this recipe are these Extra Thin New Hong Kong Won Ton Wrappers.  You get 10 for 2 points+, meaning this recipe adds ONLY 5 points+ for all 24 ~ SCORE!

image34

You could “technically” use a cookie cutter to cut perfect won ton circles to fit the tin, but, I kind of liked the idea of having crispy cheesy noodle edges hanging over the sides.

Press each won ton into the tin.

For me lasagna is ALL ABOUT the cheese so don’t be shy. Sprinkle a little mozzarella here and a little parmesan there.

Top with you fun spinach GREEN ricotta veggie mix.

Add your sauce of choice Jarred or homemade sauce and more CHEESE, please!

Then, you just layer it up all over again……I made sure my second layer of won tons crossed the other way so I had 8 edges showing instead of 4….it probably doesn’t matter either way though.

Finishing with cheese on top!

Pop them in the oven, bake for 20 minutes, then let cool for 5 minutes as you ponder how many you can have.

The BEST part about having these single serving lasagna cups is that you can have more than 1 and not kill your points+ budget.

These would be “fun” to serve as an appetizer during the holidays too because they can be red/green in December “orangy-green” in October (ok, that might be stretching it) Open-mouthed smile

Anyway, you make them or serve them….try these!  If you can’t eat all 12, then, just freeze them!

To FREEZE:  wrap them in plastic wrap, place in an airtight container and freeze them for the next time you want homemade lasagna in minutes without having to cook.

One of my favorite recipes from the archives that was featured in Fitness Magazine last year.  I think these will definitely be making an appearance during Meatless March!

Happy Friday all!!

1 tj August 30, 2011 at 4:09 pm

those came out looking tasty! :) YUM!

2 Mary @ What's Cookin' with Mary August 30, 2011 at 5:45 pm

I will most def need to try this out! Crazy how figure friendly it is. Nice work !!

3 sarah@spinach and spice August 30, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Healthy comfort food in perfectly portioned cups.. you just can’t beat it :D

4 BroccoliHut August 30, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Seth LOVES meatloaf muffins so I am sure he would go crazy for this. Bookmarked!

5 DaMora August 30, 2011 at 8:37 pm

I want to eat those right now. They look so good.

6 Lynn August 31, 2011 at 8:29 am

What an awesome recipe!!! Can’t wait to try this!

Thank you for sharing!!!!

7 Noura August 31, 2011 at 10:15 am

I’m w/ DaMora… I want one NOW! Def going to make these – maybe this weekend. Thanks for sharing!

8 janetha August 31, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Squeal–these are so cute! You know I love mini things!!

9 Julia August 31, 2011 at 4:21 pm

These are adorable, and they sound really good! I think they would be a perfect party food/appetizers!

10 Brenda August 31, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Those look so good! I love using wonton wrappers when entertaining but haven’t thought of something like this before. Are the points+ figured with or without the meat in the sauce?

11 MzSlyde September 1, 2011 at 9:24 am

YUM YUM AND DOUBLE YUM…. I AM TRYING THESE BABIES.

12 Jennifer September 2, 2011 at 7:10 pm

So I am confused about the points for this recipe. Are each cup 2 points + or is it 10 cups = 2 points? Thanks

13 Holly September 13, 2011 at 8:34 am

I love love love this recipe! My husband & I were able to eat many and still keep within our daily points! I can’t wait to make them again! – Thanks!

14 DanicasDaily September 16, 2011 at 8:35 am

Hi Jennifer,

Each cup is 2 points .

Thanks,

15 DanicasDaily September 16, 2011 at 8:39 am

Hi Brenda,

The points are determined using a marinara, meatless sauce. However, you use such a small amount of sauce, I am not sure the points values would change much for a meat sauce.

Thanks,

16 Julie October 19, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Looking forward to trying these! I think the kids will like them too…thanks for sharing!!

17 Andrew October 23, 2011 at 8:43 pm

These are so excellent! Mine didn’t quite come out as crispy as I would have liked, though. Did anyone find that a higher temp / longer cooking time is needed?

18 DanicasDaily October 25, 2011 at 7:26 am

Hi Andrew,

They do stay moist like a noodle, however, I imagine you could pre-cook the veggies and pat them dry prior to mixing them to help reduce some of the moisture. You could even drain your ricotta in a colander to remove any excess liquid.

Hope that helps a bit,

19 Amanda November 7, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Is it 2 points per cup? These look delish can’t wait to make and try!

20 DanicasDaily November 16, 2011 at 7:04 am

Hi Amanda,

Yes and they are delicious.

21 Stef March 7, 2012 at 11:45 am

I do believe I’ve found in you, someone who loves cheese, ANY type of cheese, as equally as I do. :-)

22 Sylvia Joyce July 9, 2012 at 12:35 pm

How would you re-heat these: microwave or back in the oven?

23 DanicasDaily July 9, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Hi Sylvia,

Microwave for about 30 seconds per cup.

24 Gail H. February 2, 2013 at 6:06 am

I never made these but I will now :) Danica, you are the best!! Oh yeah…FINALLY earned ONE AP on AL…155% !

25 Jill February 2, 2013 at 8:20 am

These are a huge hit in my family. My kids request them all the time!!! So yummy!!!!

26 Jeannette February 2, 2013 at 9:03 am

Danica, where do you purchase the wonton wrappers? I am blessed to have a wonderful Japanese grand-daughter-in-law who showed me how to make pot stickers. I would try to make them if I could get these low point wrappers. These would make wonderful cocktail appetizers, wouldn’t they!
J

27 DanicasDaily February 2, 2013 at 10:13 am

Hi Jeannette,

I have only been able to find the wrappers at my local Asian store.

28 Marcia February 2, 2013 at 10:16 am

Thanks Danica. This is going to be ourSuper bowl treat!

29 Jeannette February 2, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Thanks, Danica – there are several Asian stores in Tucson, I’ll check there. So many things that you get at Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s in your area they don’t have in Tucson :(! So I have a better chance in an Asian store. Maybe my grand- daugher-in -law can find them in the Phoenix area if I can’t find them here. . .