Meyer Lemons are my FAVORITE type of lemon because they are naturally sweeter and have a more distinct lemon flavor. I put a spin on the traditional Lemon Poppy Seed muffin by reducing the sugar and swapping Chia seeds to boost the health benefits. Chia seeds really have not flavor, but, they add a nice crunch to these Meyer Lemon Muffins. You could lighten them up further by using light butter, but, do NOT use a liquid sweetener or your muffins will go flat
You can use regular lemons to make these, but, I highly recommend Meyer Lemons if you can find them. I am pretty sure you will LOVE them as much as I do.
Meyer Lemon Chia Seed Muffins Recipe
1/2 cup sweet creamy butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar or sucanat, NOT agave nectar
2 large eggs, yolks & separated
1 1/3 cups White Whole Wheat Flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1 Meyer lemon, zested
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 c fat free Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons Meyer lemon juice
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp pure almond extract
OPTIONAL: Add 1 c of your favorite fruit ~ Raspberries & Blueberries are my favorite additions.
1.Preheat oven to 350°F Coat muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the egg yolks, one at a time. Beat well after each.
3. In a separate bowl, stir together the dry ingredients, chia seeds, and lemon zest.
4. With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, alternating two times with the greek yogurt, then lemon juice with the vanilla and almond extracts. Beat just until smooth.
5. In another bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold them into the muffin batter until blended.
6. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, 3/4-full.
7. Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
8. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to cool completely.
Makes approximately 11 Meyer Lemon Muffins.
Nutritional information per muffin (calculated using caloriecount.com)
191 calories, 10.3 g fat, 5.6 g sat fat, 0 g trans fat, 61 mg cholesterol, 188 mg sodium, 21.5 g carbohydrates, 2.6 g fiber, 10.2 g sugar, 4.6 g protein (4 points+ per muffin)
I am sure several of you are wondering what CHIA SEEDS are….they are exactly what you are thinking – those fun little seeds you use to grow on your CHIA PETS :) But, they have AMAZNG health benefits. I first heard about them on Dr. Oz and honestly I believe alot of the things he recommends that are great for your health. They are a great source of Omega-3’s, fiber and protein. You can learn more about the health benefits of Chia Seeds by clicking HERE.
I definitely feel like the two STAR ingredients in this recipe are the MEYER LEMONS for flavor and the CHIA SEEDS for their health benefits and crunch.
The batter will be thick. If you have an ice cream scooper, use it to evenly put your batter into the muffin cups.
They are done when golden and spring to touch.
If you have any remaining, they freeze well for up to 3 months.
The Husband and I are currently engrossed in a “Scrabble” Competition on our Droids using Words With Friends! Check out the APP, it’s FREE and you can play anyone that has it (Iphone users included!). Yup, we are total DORKS like that, but, what can I say….we are competitive
Do you all have a FAVORITE APP on your smart phone?
My sis just shared an app today that I can watch workout VIDEOS – so excited. Share away because I am pretty sure I can NEVER have enough things to download
See you all tomorrow for my weigh in, weekly menu and more daily fun!