Happy Monday all! I LOVE it when the weather person is WRONG and it’s SUNNY outside! Today, I bundled up for cold weather since it rained all day yesterday and they said it was going to continue today. I checked The Weather Channel and they had 70% chance with rain clouds ALL day. As I headed into work the sun rose and there wasn’t a cloud in the sky ~ all SUNSHINE! I’ll take it….Good Job Weather Peeps ~ it’s the “right” way to be “wrong”
I wasn’t feeling breakfast this morning, so I just made up a quick grab and go snack.
1 slice TJ’s Whole Wheat Sour Dough (2 pts)
1 Tbsp Nut Barn Almond Butter (2 pts)
2 Cuties (.5 pt)
Plus, my mid-morning snack early ~ A Grande Fat Free Chai Tea Latte (4 pts). Surprisingly this kept me full ALL MORNING ~ awesome!
I couldn’t wait to bust into my lunch today ~ I mean, doesn’t it look good??
1 HUGE J@$$ Pear (1 pt)
A big cup of Homemade FRESH Tomato Basil Soup topped with parmesan & crushed red pepper flakes (posting the recipe this week). I think it’s better the next day! (1 pt)
Plus the STAR of the show ~ HOMEMADE BUTTERNUT SQUASH POT STICKERS!!! You get FIVE, count it, FIVE for only 4 points+!
Don’t worry, I won’t keep you all in suspense….Here is my take on Hungry-Girl’s recipe. I added fresh ginger because it really adds tons of flavor, plus crushed red pepper flakes. I also changed up the sauce because we all know the SAUCE is what it’s all about. I was thinking that Roasting the Squash and Garlic would take these stickers to a whole new level!
I am always seeing Biz make pot stickers and Won Tons. This was my first attempt and it was SOOOO EASY! I am definitely going to be brave and try chicken next
Oh My Squash! Pot Stickers
Adapted from Hungry-Girl
For Pot Stickers
50 round potsticker or 25 square wonton wrappers (found in the refrigerated section of the supermarket with the other Asian items)
3 1/2 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash (about a pound)
1/2 cup grated carrots
1/4 cup chopped scallions
2 tbsp. light or low-sodium soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp minced ginger
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes, plus more for decoration if desired
For Dipping Sauce
2 tbsp. light or low-sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp. rice vinegar
1/2 tsp. Agave Nectar
1/2 – 1 tsp Sriracha Hot Sauce
1. Place squash in a large microwave-safe bowl with 1/2 cup water. Cover and microwave for 12 – 14 minutes, until squash is soft.
2. Meanwhile, combine ingredients for dipping sauce in a small bowl, and refrigerate until you’re ready to serve the pot stickers.
3. Once the bowl containing the squash is cool enough to handle, drain excess water. Using a fork or potato masher, mash squash completely. Add carrots, scallions, soy sauce, garlic, salt, red pepper flakes and ginger, and mix thoroughly. This is your filling. Set aside.
4. Lay two wonton wrappers flat on a clean, dry surface. Spoon approximately 1 tsp for round and 1 tbsp for square of the filling into the center of each wrapper. Moisten all four edges of each wrapper by dabbing your fingers in water and going over the edges smoothly. Fold the bottom left corner of each wrapper to meet the top right corner, forming a triangle and enclosing the filling. Then press firmly on the edges to seal. Set aside, and repeat with all remaining wrappers and filling.
I like to put them on a cookie cooling rack so they don’t stick or a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
5. Once all wontons are assembled, bring a pan sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Working in batches, cook wontons for 3 – 4 minutes on each side, beginning with the flat sides down, until crispy. Add 1/4 c of water and “steam” for 1-2 minute. Drain water.
(Between batches, remove pan from heat and re-spray with nonstick spray.)
Serve with sauce, sprinkle with crushed red pepper flakes if using and enjoy!
MAKES 5 SERVINGS (I ended up making 50 rounds – 10 servings so I froze half!)
PER SERVING (5 pot stickers w/ sauce): 161 calories, 0.5g fat, 786mg sodium, 35g carbs, 3g fiber, 5g sugars, 4.5g protein, 4 points+
* You can freeze your tray of Pot Stickers, then, once frozen, place in a large container of zip loc bag for another meal another day.
* These would totally be awesome in soup too!
When I got home, I had an AWESOME CANADIAN package waiting for me from Kristin over at Cook, Bake, Nibble. She was missing Trader Joe’s since she went up to Canada to become a Chef so I agreed to do a TJ’s swap for Canada Goodies. SO COOL! I LOVE that I’ve never tried any of it before and I totally cannot wait to dig in. Thanks Kristin ~ You rock!!
Since tonight was all about preparing for the Air Conditioning man tomorrow, dinner was FAST.
4 oz Leftover Apple Wood Bacon Smoked Pork Loin (4 pts)
1 Tbsp Gayle’s Original BBQ Sauce (.5 pt)
2 Tbsp TJ’s Pepper Jack Blend (1 pt)
2 Tbsp TJ’s Avocado’s Number Guacmole (1 pt) – That name is still funky to me!
Mini Sweet Peppers
1 Organic Flour Tortilla (2 pts)
This was phenomenal! It was like having a BBQ Pork and Bacon Cheesy wrap – i could taste everything you see in there….SO AMAZING, must, repeat!
For some veggies, I ate an entire Crookneck Squash topped with sea salt, black pepper and 2 Tbsp TJ’s Pepperjack cheese (2 pts). I LOVE cheese on my veggies – it totally brings me back to my childhood – that is how my mom got us to eat veggies.
I am off to kick up my feet and read my book! Tomorrow is a BIG day because we FINALLY get Central Heat & Air….it’s a total necessity in California since our summers are in the 100’s and I am high maintenance like that