Our Hot A$$ Vegas Vacation

by DanicasDaily on June 29, 2010

Welcome Back Everyone!!!  Although we had a blast in Las Vegas, I have to admit it’s SO GOOD to be home.  It was blazing hot there the entire time with yesterday topping out at 109 degrees ~ crazy!

103 was actually the coolest temperature the entire weekend!

HOT!

Our trip this year included a few road trips to towns that nobody has ever heard of ~ Like Pahrump.

Road to Pahrump, NV

The drive there totally made me realize we were really in the “desert” LOL.

Random flowers grow in the middle of the dessert too.

The Husband collects Casino Chips so he was excited to check out a few casinos in other towns.

Terribles Casino

Stop #2 was the “other half” of Vegas ~ North Las Vegas “Old Town”.  I talked a little bit about old town the last time we visited Vegas.  I LOVE old town casinos because they have that old western feel…Like we might see Clint Eastwood or someone like that there ;)

Main Street StationIMG_5614IMG_5615California Hotel CasinoSam Boyds Ca Hotel CasinoGolden Gate Casino

Ever wonder what $1,000,000 looks like?

Binion's $1,000,000Binion's

I am so playing lotto this week :D

One Million Dollars

I think one of my favorite parts of Las Vegas is looking at all the casinos lit up at night.  Plus there is almost always good people watching on the streets at night. Member Baby Elvis from last visit? Good times!

The MirageThe VenetianIMG_5687New york New YorkExcalibur

Did I mention he likes collecting casino chips???  That means A LOT of walking, steps for the new chips and visiting their casino chip show for the older chips of closed casinos.

This is my FAVORITE chip he got because it has two different casinos on it – there is a big story behind the Last Frontier Casino Chips that is pretty cool too.

The Silver Slipper on the front.

Last Frontier on the back

SO FUN and I LOVE seeing him happy like a little kid in a candy shop ;)

I usually LOVE travelling because it gives you a chance to try new foods that you don’t have back home.

I also brought a few snacks for the road…like my FAVORITE Clif Bar out there ~ Mojo Bars Rock!

They are salty, sweet, crunchy, chewy and chocolatey!

Watermelon!

Cashews that we snacked on all weekend!

I LOVE Samurai Sam’s!  I wish we had one near us.

It’s a simple teriyaki bowl place, but, you have your choice of lean, grilled meats over brown rice, white rice, soba noodles or steamed veggies.

I picked the small grilled teriyaki chicken bowl with SPICY Teriyaki Sauce over brown rice ~ LOVE!

Samurai Sam's Spicy Chiken Teriyaki Bowl

Do you all tend to scan the stores for new things whenever you walk by?  I LOVE finding new foods to try and may be guilty of just spending time wondering new grocery stores when we travel :D  It’s the little things…..

NEW POPCHIPS Flavor ~ Jalapeno Potato!

I thought I’d LOVE this flavor, but, honestly, it was disappointing ~ it tastes really like chili powder, not jalapeno :(

Buffalo Wild Wings Visit #2 :D

This time I took the advice of Liz and picked the Zesty Asian Sauce for my Chicken Salad.

MMMM ~ I may just LOVE this flavor the most ~ It’s sweet, spicy and totally made me want to lick my plate :)

Starbuck’s ~ the usual latte plus a reduced fat egg white turkey bacon muffin.

Random Casino Food….I can’t remember which place we were in, but it wasn’t anything fancy.

Turkey Club ~ I only managed half of this huge sandwich.

COCKTAILS were involved ;)

If you are ever in New York, New York ~ GO HERE ~ America!

The food is amazing and the service was awesome!

I decided to indulge a little by getting Shrimp Scampi ~ the portions are HUGE so I only managed to eat  a little less than half of this. I LOVE shrimp and pasta and garlic and butter and….

Shrimp Scampi

garlic focaccia bread!!!

The Husband ordered Ribs!

I think he liked them too ;)

TRIP STATS:

TOTAL STEPS: 50,130 (12,533 steps/day on average but more some days than others!)

TOTAL CALORIES BURNED: 12,088 (a little over 3,000/day with only walking the strip!)

TOTAL CALORIES EATEN: No clue but I feel like I made smart choices and practiced moderation by only eating until I was content, about 1/2 of everything I was served.

Now if I could only have a vacation from our vacation, I’d be set ;)

I will catch up with all your comments, emails, etc and resume regular blogging tomorrow with a new Weight Watcher Week and goals to get ready for our CRUISE!!!

Stay tuned for another fun giveaway coming up tomorrow too!

1 Lynn (The Actors Diet) June 29, 2010 at 10:16 pm

i’ve never gone to the old part of vegas (i’ve only been to vegas 2x) – we might need to make a trip soon and take advantage of the cheap hotels!

2 liz June 29, 2010 at 10:56 pm

109 degrees??? OMG!! I’m uncomfortable enough in our 95+ weather. No thanks to it being HOTTER! Bring on the air conditioning :)

I totally do the “look for new items” while shopping thing. I love going on road trips and seeing what kind of local treats are around that we don’t have at home, but I also love going to Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s for the same reasons. I don’t love shopping, unless it’s for groceries. It’s a sickness.

And, thanks for the blog shout out!! I’m so glad you liked the Asian Zing! Ryan LOVES it so much that Santa brought him a bottle in his stocking last year LOL

3 MizFit June 30, 2010 at 3:02 am

LOOOVE the post as Im so ready to git me back to vegas … in the fall :)

I swear when Ive been there in july its the hottest place Ive ever experienced and the FIRST time I did that thing where you use the umbrella to shade from the sun.

I looked like a misfit—but it worked :)

4 Lauren June 30, 2010 at 3:53 am

Hey girl!! Glad you made it home safe. I am so excited that you shared your trip because I am going to Vegas for the first time in August. Do you have any suggestions on must sees or places to eat? I really want to check out Bobby Flay’s restaurant but I hear there are just so many things to see/do!

Glad you had a great trip!

5 Emily (A Nutritionist Eats) June 30, 2010 at 7:53 am

I have never been to Vegas! Ugh, need to get there!

I love that you kept track of steps on vacation! Very cool

6 Mary @ What's Cookin' with Mary June 30, 2010 at 8:47 am

Looks like you two are having a BLAST!! :D

7 Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) June 30, 2010 at 9:46 am

WOW that is hot! Glad you had a fun vacay, though :D I’ve always wanted to go to vegas!!

8 janetha June 30, 2010 at 10:27 am

holy a zillion steps! i love vegas in the summer. dry heat is my thing :) looks like fun. next time you go to vegas let me know and i will meet you half way!!!!!!!!

9 Jen June 30, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Samaurai Sams looks so dang yummy! I wish they had one around me!!! I love the old school Vegas too, awesome pictures! Way to go on the steps walked and calories burned :)

Jen

10 Sami July 1, 2010 at 8:11 am

Looks like an AMAZING time in Vegas! Glad you’re back :) I hope you find it easy to transition back to the routine! I know I’m having a rough time! Haha.

XO.

11 DanicasDaily July 3, 2010 at 7:46 am

Hi Lauren,

OMG – yeah! I am so excited for you to go to Vegas ~ I think you will have so much fun. It is true, there is so much to see/do and it never seems like you can do it all. I didn’t even know Bobby Flay had a restaurant there – now I want to go back to try it :D

Let’s see ~ must dos:

* Walking the strip at night to see all the lights & all the fun street performers
* Walking through all the casinos – they are all decorated so differently inside it’s cool
* Old Town Vegas is fun too – less crowded and just a different experience, but, not a must do
* There are a ton of shows to choose from – that’s always fun
* If you are a “crazy” rides person, the Stratosphere has some insane rides you can do at the top of their building.
* There is a list of all the FREE shows you can watch in Vegas ~ like Treasure Island has a pirate show, The Mirage has a water show, etc.

There are a ton of great food places to check out as well. I could probably do a whole other comment just for that LOL.

I think the biggest thing is just go with the flow, have fun and don’t stress over trying to do it all. I can’t wait to hear what you think and how your trip goes :)