This recipe screams FALL and SUPER FOODS to me! It includes not 1, but, 3 Super Foods ~ Pumpkin, Walnuts and Pomegranates. I am IN LOVE with PUMPKIN everything this time of year so I knew I needed to create another recipe to include it. POMEGRANATES always remind me of when I was little and could sit for hours eating seed after seed. WALNUTS ~ well, honestly, shouldn’t every bread include them?!
Awhile back, I had a random thought of how I could mix all of these together to make some fantabulous creation. The result was these muffins that seriously blew my mind with uniqueness ~ sweet, sour, crunchy and just plain good!
Pumpkin Pomegranate Muffins (print this recipe here)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup white or oat flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup chopped dry roasted walnuts (roasting them 1st will intensify their flavor)
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 4 egg whites and 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 4 oz POM 100% Pomegranate Juice
- 2 Tbsp Canola Oil
- 1 Pomegranate, seeded
* You could probably add 1/4 cup ground flax seed to these as well for an even bigger nutritional boost!
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and prepare a muffin pan with nonstick spray or muffin liners.
2. Stir dry ingredients together in a medium bowl and set aside.
3. Whip egg whites until stiff white peaks form in a separate bowl.
4. In another bowl, combine pumpkin, agave, vanilla extract, egg yolk, POM juice, and oil. Fold in egg whites just until blend.
5. Mix dry and wet ingredients just until blended. Add pomegranate seeds and mix until combined. Do not over mix. Fill Muffin Cups about 3/4 full and bake for about 20 minutes or until they are browned and bounce pack when touched.
6. Remove from oven and let cool on wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove from muffin pan and allow to cool entirely on the wire rack.
Makes 12 muffins, 4 points+ each
Nutritional information per muffin:
STEP – BY – STEP
De-seeding your Pomegranate is super easy. I followed Elise’s Method for How to Cut & Deseed a Pomegranate
Start out with one BIG pomegranate. I have to admit I LOVED seeing the POM Wonderful sticker on there. I honestly think that is what made me pick THIS one.
Cut it in half then break into chunks. Soak in a bowl of water for 5-10 minutes. The seeds just fall out when you pull the rind apart.
Skim the top of your water and drain. This leaves you with the BEAUTIFUL POM seeds!
Combine all your dry ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside.
Beat your egg whites until fluffy smiley faces show
Mix pumpkin, agave, vanilla extract, oil and fold in egg whites.
Add POM Juice.
Doesn’t the Pumpkin POM combo make the coolest looking colors mixed?
Combine your wet and dry ingredients. Add POM seeds.
Stir just until blended. I LOVE the color of this batter too.
Bake for 20 minutes or until browned and springy.
Cool and enjoy! Pumpkin + Spices + Pomegranate + Walnuts = LOVE!
I LOVE the crunchy sweetness of the POM seeds and toasty walnuts with the spicy pumpkin ~ absolutely DELISH! I think adding Homemade Healthy Pumpkin Butter to these would definitely put them Over The Top! MMMMM….I need to go make some more now!
I had to bring this recipe back from the archives to share with you all tonight since I am off getting ready for the new job that starts tomorrow. I am SO EXCITED and NERVOUS like a little kid going back to school. I am off to go figure out what to wear tomorrow for my first day lol I will be back tomorrow with all the details.