Pumpkin Spice Mini Muffins, 1 points+

by DanicasDaily on October 7, 2013

There is something about the change of the season as fall rolls in and the weather gets cooler that makes me crave pumpkin.  Maybe it’s all the pumpkin store displays or that amazing cinnamon spice smell you can sense every time you walk into a store.  I am not sure, but, It’s almost like a switch turns on in my head and I need to make a new spin on Spiced Pumpkin Walnut Muffins.

These pumpkin muffins might be mini, but, they are packed with sweet hints of caramelized brown sugar, pumpkin, nutty walnuts and will totally remind you of biting into a slice of pumpkin pie.  They are delicious as is or serve them up with your favorite pumpkin spice coffee for the perfect pumpkin treat.

PUMPKIN SPICE MINI MUFFINS (print it!)

INGREDIENTS

• 1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup wheat germ or oat bran
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup roasted walnuts, chopped

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350°.  Spray a 24 cup mini-muffin pan with nonstick spray.

2.  Combine your dry ingredients, flour through salt in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.  Create a whole in the middle of the dry mixture.  Then, add the pumpkin, eggs, oil and vanilla, stirring just until moist.  Fold in walnuts.

3.  Spoon batter into muffin cups until 2/3’s full.  Bake at 350° for 22-25 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center.  Cool muffins in pan for a few minutes before removing and cooling completely on a wire rack.

Makes about 48 mini muffins, 1 points+ each

Nutritional information per mini muffin calculated at caloriecount.com

Want more pumpkin flavor?

Take a few minutes to make up this incredibly easy and Healthy Homemade Pumpkin Butter to spread on each Pumpkin Spice Mini Muffin Bite.  You can find the recipe HERE.

I’ll catch up with you all later this week with another recipe and more pumpkin finds.

Have a great day all!

1 Trevor LaRene October 7, 2013 at 8:10 am

Yum! Can’t wait to try these!

2 Jill October 7, 2013 at 8:12 am

Could I substitue flax seed for the oat bran or wheat germ? I have that on hand, but not the other two.

3 Angela @ Honey, I Shrunk the Mom October 7, 2013 at 10:22 am

I just made a match of these and they are yummy! I didn’t have any wheat germ or oat bran so I just substituted flour. They are a little heavy but still delicious! Were they heavy with the wheat germ? Oh, and I also used pecans instead of walnuts. TFS!

4 Angela @ Honey, I Shrunk the Mom October 7, 2013 at 10:23 am

*batch, not match. ;)

5 DanicasDaily October 7, 2013 at 11:38 am

Hi Jill,

Yes, as long as it is ground flax seed it will have the same effect.

Thanks,

6 DanicasDaily October 7, 2013 at 11:39 am

Hi Angela,

They are pretty moist, but, not really heavy. I think the wheat term helps with moisture over the flour. I am really glad you like them!

Thanks,

7 Jen October 10, 2013 at 10:35 am

It is pumpkin season! Thank you for the recipe. I searched your blog last week thinking that you had previously posted a mini pumpkin recipe, and I couldn’t find one. THANK YOU for reading my mind!