This past Sunday for my Weight Watchers meeting, I wanted to make something that was different from my Mini Muffins and that was Simply Filling. I wanted to show everyone that you could make some pretty amazing food on Simply Filling like this delicious cheesy, “bacon”, peppery, egg and hash brown casserole. As I was pondering ideas of what I could put in the pan, I remembered a a Christmas Casserole Recipe that I made a few years back.
I knew I wanted the “base” of my casserole to be potatoes, peppers and onion. I layered on Canadian Bacon for its sweet, smoky, bacon-ness then spiced it up with a few chopped pickled cherry peppers. The Eggland’s Best Eggs boost the protein staying power while the cheese adds a thin layer of salty decadence.
Sounds pretty fancy for a casserole that takes longer to cook than it does to put together. Feel free to take a short cut and buy the Ore Ida Western hash browns with peppers and onions or get extra fancy by chopping up fresh sweet potatoes with peppers and onions to make your own hash brown mix.
CHEESY, BACON, EGG AND HASHBROWN CASSEROLE (print it!)
- 16 oz western frozen hash brown potatoes
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup pickled cherry peppers, chopped
- 6 oz lean Canadian bacon, chopped
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 tsp paprika
- 5 large egg
- 1 cup fat-free skim milk
- a few dashes of hot sauce
- sea salt and black pepper
- 4 oz low-fat sharp cheese cheese, finely shredded
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Place potatoes through corn in the baking dish. Sprinkle with paprika and garlic salt. Toss everything together just until combined.
3. In a small bowl, beat together milk, eggs, hot sauce, sea salt and pepper; pour over potato mixture and sprinkle with cheese.
4. Bake until casserole is hot and cheese is browned, about 45 minutes. Cut into 8 pieces and serve.
Makes 8 servings, 5 points+ each, 100% Simply Filling
Nutritional information calculated at caloriecount.com
STEP – BY STEP
While the oven preheats, layer up the potatoes through the cherry peppers in a prepared 9×13 pan sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle with paprika, garlic salt, sea salt and pepper, then, toss.
Whisk together the eggs through salt and pepper. Pour the egg mixture over the potatoes and top everything with CHEESE!
If you finely shred the cheese, it stretches further and let’s you “build” a thicker layer and pile on the cheesy topping.
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until the cheese is melted and slightly browned.
Layers and layers of cheesy, bacon, peppery, potato goodness!
Who knew Simply Filling could look and taste this good…..
I will catch up with you all tomorrow with my thoughts on how I am working the Simply Filling Technique, then, I am finally back to my dailies. I miss rambling on