Simple Start: Day 10 “Fried” Potatoes & Eggs

by DanicasDaily on January 14, 2014

Happy Tuesday all!  One of my favorite Simple Start breakfasts involves “fried” potatoes & scrambled eggs.

I “fried” 1 cup of Ore Ida Western Potatoes (they are just frozen potatoes with peppers, onions & salt) in my 2 tsp. of healthy oil, then, sprinkled it with a little paprika (for color & a sweet peppery taste), garlic salt and black pepper.

Meanwhile, I scrambled 2 eggs with a splash of milk, hot sauce, sea salt & black pepper.

With a side of blueberries for sharing ~ 1/2 for him and 1/2 for me.

For one delicious, 100% Simple Start Breakfast that kept me full for 5 hours.  7 points+

I spent today at the winery so my co-worker and I stopped to grab non-fat lattes for the drive. (SS/SF) – 3 points+

I have been looking forward to today’s lunch all week long.  I absolutely love Catelli’s in Geyserville and take every chance I can to visit when we are at the winery.

I had two bread challenges today to decide if it was worth it.

First up the basket of homemade hot sour dough bread with this amazing garlic sun dried tomato butter.

Second up ~ their homemade garlic bread!

It was a really tough choice on what to indulge in, but, I decided in the end, the garlic bread was totally worth it. (SS + 4 WPA) – 4 points+

I knew I had two great Simple Start Options ~ One minestrone + a garden salad or picking one of their salads and adding grilled chicken with oil & vinegar.

My plan was to have the Kale Salad with Grilled Chicken.  It’s honestly the the best Kale Salad I’ve ever had in my life.  The Chef rocks because she shared her recipe online ~ I am totally recreating this salad with my next batch of Kale!

My co-worker wanted to split everything so she could try more since it was her first visit.  So, I skipped the chicken and ate half this salad.

Organic Kale, Meyer Lemon, Walnuts, Blood Oranges, Parmesan, Croutons, Olive Oil, Salt & Pepper ~ (SS/SF + 4 WPA) – 6 points+ for my share

Dish #2 Domenic’s Spicy Tomato & Basil Mushroom sauce served up special for us with Multi-Grain Penne Red heart Not as planned & not a perfect choice, but, totally worth every bite.

(SS/SF) – 5 points+ for half the dish.

I ended up getting home pretty late after our 2 hour commute back.  I was happy when The Husband suggested cereal for dinner and no cooking ~ OK!

I balanced out my richer than planned lunch with a bowl of shredded wheat topped with a banana, blueberries, cinnamon and non-fat milk. (SS/SF) – 6 points+.

So far this week, I’ve made it through two dining out celebrations with two to go.  I can make the next two days on track before the remaining 2 birthday celebrations start on Friday.

Here are my stats today:

• Simple Start Day 10: 8 WPA used, 29 WPA remaining
  • 26 Daily Points+ 0 WPA used, 49 WPA remaining
  • Here is my FitBit Flex Dashboard!

Gail H. January 15, 2014 at 4:44 am

Another kale recipe! Getting mine today, can’t wait! Ahhh,,,the winery…I am so jealous :)Great job on the dining out! I was tempted for Mellow Mushroom last night….but didn’t cave…it’s a real challenge for me…especially when I get home late, and we have sooo many great eateries within walking distance!

Sue January 15, 2014 at 6:23 am

I saw on a blog somewhere that smoked paprika adds a smoky bacon flavor without the calories – I’m going to try your potato and egg dish with that!

Marcia January 15, 2014 at 9:40 am

Hi Danica! I’m still here and read your blog whenever you post. Wanted to share a salad dressing with you for those meals out. I carry the Walden Farms Thousand Island or Russian Dressings in th individual packs or a small container in my purse. You can buy them at Sprouts and have ZERO points. Would be great on any salad you order in restaurants. Keep up the good words! Marcia

DanicasDaily January 15, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Hi Marcia,

That is a great idea, I will have to look for them.

Thanks for always reading and sharing,

marcia sibeto January 15, 2014 at 2:22 pm

I was looking at your breakfast of ore ida western potatoes and scrambled eggs. You said it was 100% Simply Filling but I don’t understand what the 7 points + meant. I just started this program this week and I really like it . I don’t completely understand all yet?

Thanks I’ve found a lot of info reading your posts

DanicasDaily January 15, 2014 at 3:13 pm

Hi Marcia,

Thanks for the comment. The 7 points+ is for those who are not following Simple Start and are tracking their daily points+ target. I provide tracking for both methods as I have followers who follow both programs.

Marcia Sibeto January 15, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Thanks ! Really appreciate your informatonal blog. It will help me on journey!