Simple Start Day 12: One Delicious Taco Salad

by DanicasDaily on January 16, 2014

Happy Friday Eve all!  Thanks for sharing what you all would have a “Personal Chef” cook for you on  yesterday’s post.  It was so fun to read all your responses all day long.  I have to say I’d be happy with almost anything the “chef” made as long as I could just come home, eat and not have to cook or clean….well, some days.  Other days, I totally love getting in the kitchen to whip up something new and delicious.

This morning I was rushing around as I was trying to get in early for an early morning conference call.  I ended up making up a quick breakfast, wrapping it up to-go and taking it on my drive in.

I always let my Healthy Egg Rolls cool just a little bit before I wrap them up in a paper towel and foil when I take them to go.  This helps to keep the cheese from sticking to it. (SS/SF + 1 WPA) – 5 points+.

Served up with the last of our crunchy blueberries. I totally hope the next batch I buy is this good…I am not a fan of soft blueberries.

Mid morning I was starving so I grabbed an apple and Trader Joe’s Lite String Cheese to tied me over until lunch. (SS/SF) – 1 points+

My boss surprised me today by asking if we could go out today for my birthday lunch to the new restaurant in Napa that just opened called Napkins Bar & Grill (ummm, OK, yes, please!)

I ordered the Grilled Pork Chop that came topped with an Apple Mustard Sauce, Roasted Brussels Sprouts and a Bacon & Raisin Risotto.

While the pork chop was super tasty with the sweet, tart and tangy apple mustard sauce, the start of the show was totally the brussels sprouts.  They were perfectly crispy & I love the fact that they left a few as Crispy Brussels Sprout Chips.  (SS/SF) – 8 points+ for the pork with the sprouts.

I only had a couple of bites of the risotto that was so bacon-y good that I could’ve eaten it all.  I didn’t want to blow my entire WPA on it though since I still have 3 more birthday celebrations and 1 cup of risotto is 11 points+!

My boss was super cute ~ he asked if I wanted to take a picture of his dish to share with you all too….he ordered the Pan Seared Steel Head Fish with Shrimp, Grits and Greens.  It looks pretty tasty too.

My afternoon snack was a repeat of yesterday ~ a Power Walk to Starbuck’s and a Grande Non-fat Iced Latte with Caramel drizzled on top. (SS/SF) – 3 points+

Dinner tonight is one of my favorite, easy go to meals.  I love making up a big batch of Turkey Taco Meat because we can have tacos, nachos or Taco salads with it.  It’s so easy to make too ~ I brown up 1 lb. ground turkey with red onion and bell pepper.  Then, drained off the water, sprinkled with homemade taco seasoning and a little salsa.  While that cooks, I prep the salad fixin’s.

Organic Romaine with carrots, red cabbage and green onion topped with 1/2 cup of the turkey taco meat.

Topped with a 1/4 cup sprinkle of low-fat sharp cheddar cheese finely grated because you get more.  Then, I layer on all my favorites ~ fresh tomatoes, jalapenos….

And I crushed 2 tortilla chips as my croutons – (it takes 3 chips to equal 1 points+)!

I finish with a little “treat” by adding a 2 points+ container of Wholly Guacamole!

I love Wholly Guac because it honestly does taste like real avocado.

Finish with a little salsa or hot sauce.  Crunchy, spicy, salty, taco-y good in every single bite.

SS/SF + 2 WPA or 7 points+

Here are my stats today:

• Simple Start Day 11: 2 WPA used, 19 WPA remaining
  • 24 Daily Points+ 0 WPA used, 49 WPA remaining
  • Here is my FitBit Flex Dashboard!

QUESTION OF THE DAY:

If you had to pick one, what would it be ~ Taco Salad, Nachos or Tacos?

That’s a tough choice for me because I love them all, but, if I had to pick just one Healthy Nachos all day long!

Danica January 16, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Thanks for all of the great recipes – I have been truly inspired! Down 4 pounds this week on Simple Start! Woo hoo! And now I am craving that taco salad! :)

Rita Haas January 16, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Where do you buy the Holy moly guacamole? I would love to try it!

DanicasDaily January 16, 2014 at 10:49 pm

Hi Rita,

I found them at Target.

Gail H. January 17, 2014 at 4:21 am

OMG I just bought the Wholly Guac cups…love them so much better than the packets! Gotta make taco salads for lunch next week!! Came home to my WW order: Under 20 Cookbook, plus new kit in animal print bag! Love, love, love it!! Especially the small steamer, Your Fingerprint book, and the exercise cards in the case! This is one great deal!! Oh yeah…it’s taco salad for me, but I do make your nachos and we love them too :)

Catherine Tracy January 17, 2014 at 5:18 am

I occurred to me you could also add fat free refried beans and greek yogurt—can’t wait to try this. I love, love, love this program. I never thought I could do this side of the program. The tip about 2 chips instead of 3 cracks me up….keep up the tips.

Catherine Beaudet January 17, 2014 at 6:19 am

I would think the salad would be good too to bring to work, just have to remember to pack everything separately to keep things from getting limp and soggy. I would say for me, tacos are my go to Mexican treat. Soft or hard. Corn or some flavoured whole wheat flour. Carnita, lingua, fish, poultry, or beef. Super spicy or just enough to leave a tingle. So many possibilities with that.

Angie Amerson January 17, 2014 at 6:46 am

Everything looks fantastic! I am a little confused, though. According to my SS book, you have to count the points for reduced-/ low-fat cheese, just not fat-free cheese. Wouldn’t that be more than 2 WPA for your daily total?

DanicasDaily January 17, 2014 at 8:34 am

Hi Angie,

I tweak the program by using low-fat cheese instead of fat free as I do not like the ingredient list and chemicals in fat free cheese. I can also keep my portions in check. I do count it against my WPA if I use real deal full fat cheese.

Thanks,

karen mcbrayer January 17, 2014 at 8:15 am

I’d have to say crispy tacos. YUM

Jill January 17, 2014 at 8:47 am

Have you ever made chicken tacos? It is basically the same as your ground turkey meat.
I dump a 3lb bag of chicken breasts in the slow cooker, taco seasoning, and salsa. Let it sit all day… what you end up with is very flavorful and moist chicken! Be sure and drain it before you serve. Chicken can even be frozen!!!

Lori January 18, 2014 at 8:50 am

I’ve done this with chicken also. I sometimes mix boneless breast and boneless thighs. I had never thought to freeze it though. What a great idea.

Donna Kreiser January 17, 2014 at 9:48 am

Have you tried the Wholly Guacamole Spicy guac, Danica? Super yummy!

DanicasDaily January 17, 2014 at 5:26 pm

Hi Donna,

I have – it’s delicious!

Thanks for the reminder so I can pick some up,

Carrie @ Season It Already! January 17, 2014 at 11:24 am

I love your eggrolls! I make them all of the time now!

Lynda January 17, 2014 at 12:01 pm

I’m so glad I found your blog on Pinterest! I was procrastinating getting back on Weight Watchers. Following you has given me the “kick in the pants” I needed to get back on track. Thank you Danica :) I’m down 2 lbs and only been on simple start for 3 days!
It’s great motivation reading the comments and knowing others are doing it right along with you.

kim January 17, 2014 at 5:06 pm

HI! I just found your blog and I’m so excited because I just started WW! Thank you for all of these fantastic recipes and the points plus values as well!

So I’m a Mexican food fanatic! I would probably most like taco’s. I am definitely going to try this salad!

Jill January 17, 2014 at 5:06 pm

I am considering doing the Simple Start program because I need to change things up. Can you bank your 7 Points + you get each day or not?

Thanks

DanicasDaily January 17, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Hi Jill,

Yes, you basically have 49 WPA to use per week on non simple start foods. You do not have to use 7 per day, it’s just a recommendation.

Jill January 18, 2014 at 8:27 am

Hi – different Jill here :)
I am so thankful that you take the time each day to give so many wonderful tips and delicious recipes.
This has been the perfect motivation for me – a repeat offender – lost count of the times I walked into Weight Watchers and only lasted a few weeks. Now I am doing it all online with all the wonderful apps and blogs like yours, and of course the Simple Start program.
I especially am, happy to find that like me, you use the low-fat versions of cheese instead of fat-free. I do the same with the bread – I would rather have 1 slice of whole grain bread than 2 slices light bread full of additives.

Lollie (aka Jill #3) January 18, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Tacos! Tacos! Tacos! We even have a song about tacos in our household :) My favorite taco recipe at the moment B/L S/L chicken breast or thighs or a mix of both. Sprinkle with cumin and garlic, put in a crock-pot., pour on a bottle of salsa verde and let cook until you are able to shred it. I did get it from another website :) I love that I can freeze what’s left for a quick meal another night.

Thank you for all that you do and share with us. It is much appreciated!