Simple Start Day 15: Winter Brussels Sprout Salad

by DanicasDaily on January 21, 2014

Happy Tuesday all!  I am back this morning with my Weekly Menu and yesterday’s daily.  Yesterday ended up being a pretty long working day and to add to it I started coughing all over again on Sunday night.  I have never had a could where I am still coughing almost a month later. I keep telling myself the one benefit ~ I am getting a great ab workout all day long!  I pretty much ended up coming straight home from work, eating dinner and zonking out.

Nothing really sounded good for breakfast to me so I asked The Husband what sounded good to him….any guesses on his response???

Scrambled eggs LOL….2 eggs with a little milk, hot sauce, sea salt & black pepper.

(SS/SF) – 4 points+

My “side” was a nonfat latte with caramel drizzle. (SS/SF + 0 WPA) – 3 points+

I was so excited when I found these shaved brussels spouts at the store this week (yep, I have issues when brussels sprouts get me excited – ha!)  I had all these ideas for them ~ the challenge was deciding what I wanted to use them for.

I decided to start by making one crunchy and totally filling salad.

about 1.5 cups of shaved brussels sprouts

I added a little color for flavor and eye appeal ~ carrots, red cabbage…

A little crunchy sweetness with pomegranate seeds, a small honey crisp apple and a sprinkle of green onions.

A little protein with 1/2 cup steamed edamame (yep, it’s 100% Simple Start/Simply Filling)

Then, I drizzled with 2 tsp. olive oil, 1 1/2 Tbsp. white balsamic vinegar, sea salt and black pepper before adding the lid and shaking it.

The goal of adding the “dressing” in the AM was to allow the brussels sprouts to soften by lunchtime.

Right before eating, I added a “treat” to my salad with 2 Tbsp. roasted and chopped walnuts.

Shaken, not stirred Open-mouthed smile  I loved all the different textures ~ this salad has so much fun chew power with the crunch from the nuts, apples and pomegranate seeds to the creaminess from the edamame. (SS/SF + 3 WPA for the walnuts) – 7 points+

I added a lite string cheese for a little more protein (SS/SF) – 1 points+

Late afternoon, I was totally craving crunchy, salty chips!  Of course I had none in my desk and I really pondered walking to the store down the street to buy some.  After chatting about it with my co-worker, she recommended this Orville SmartPop Kettle Korn!

Popcorn is Simple Start & Simply Filling ~ the stats looked good. (SS/SF) – 3 points+

Honestly, I usually only eat popcorn from my popcorn popper and avoid bags because the ingredient lists freak me out a bit.  For the most part, it’s pretty normal…other than the potassium chloride and TBHQ.  (a metal salt & a preservative for coloring).

After completely examining the box and pondering, I decided it was a better option than grabbing the bag of BBQ chips I wanted.  I love that it comes with its own pop up bowl.

I had Flat Out Pizzas planned for dinner, but, I was pretty much done by the time I walked in the door at 8:20 pm.  The Husband said let’s go get you some “sick” person food and we headed to Panera for chicken noodle soup and tea.

On Simple Start you would count the points+ for the noodles, but, everything else in the soup is Simple Start.  I actually just wanted the broth so I had just that with the carrots. (SS/SF) – 3 points+

Here are my stats today:

• Simple Start Day 15: 3 WPA used, 38 WPA remaining
  • 21 Daily Points+ 0 WPA used, 49 WPA remaining
  • Here is my FitBit Flex Dashboard!

And more importantly…HERE IS WHAT IS ON THE MENU THIS WEEK:

QUESTION OF THE DAY:

What is on your menu this week?  Are you trying any new recipes or foods?

Bonnie January 21, 2014 at 8:43 am

Hey
I have a quick question for you.
I currently have the fitbit one, which i wear attached to my bra.
I work at a desk all day and before the fitbit I had a nike fuel band. The stats on it were horrible. I drove 1hr one day and it counted that as steps.
Here is my Q: Do you notice if the flex does this, or is it more accurate? I really want the new force, but don’t want added steps for working at my desk or driving LOL
Thanks
Bonnie

DanicasDaily January 21, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Hi Bonnie,

The most accurate device I’ve used is the Body Media Band – it has about a 98% accuracy. That being said, it’s not as glamorous as the Fitbits and it’s not waterproof.

I actually LOVE my FitBit Flex because it is waterproof and has interchangable bands. I can wear it showering or when I swim – the only time I take it off is to charge it. When the band gets funky, you can change that too or have fun with all the colors.

That is the one disadvatnage of the Force and the main reason that while I own a Force, I find I don’t use it. It’s not water proof and it’s a pain to take it off every time you shower. Not to mention, there is only one band as it’s a solid unit.

Now if Fitbit can merge the two it would be the perfect device.

Both Flex and Force have sensitivity adjustments – you can pick whether it’s your dominate or not dominate hand to help with tracking.

I would say Flex and Force are about 90% accurate which is close enough for me. I do not get steps very often in the car – if anything, I think it may miss a few steps and I go further than it says LOL.

Hope that helps,

Bonnie January 21, 2014 at 7:32 pm

Thanks so much for your reply!
I looked at getting the flex, but it didn’t do the stairs count like the one does.
When the force came out, I thought it would be great since it has a time function and can do the stairs.
I am a little weary now that I know the band can’t be replaced :(
Seems like a lot of money if you have to replace it often.

Bonnie

DanicasDaily January 21, 2014 at 9:56 pm

HI Bonnie,

I agree with you as I was excited for the Force to count stairs. All that being said, they are great devices and I do think the band is durable to last awhile. If they could make Force WaterProof with interchangable bands, I think it would be the perfect device.

Shirley person January 21, 2014 at 9:23 am

I absolutely love your blog!! I am on WW, and I am doing Simple Start, and will continue on Simply Filling…I love the freedom of Simply Filling, although I’m not new to WW.
Your blog have wonderful ideas, since I discovered your site, I can’t wait read your daily meals and ideas. Keep up the great work!!!

Jenny January 21, 2014 at 9:29 am

Danica,

Is it possible you have a walking pneumonia and need antibiotics?? Feel better soon and keep your fluids up! Hugs, Jenny

Jill January 21, 2014 at 9:36 am

Is string cheese part of the simply filling plan or is that one of your “tweaks”?

Thanks!

DanicasDaily January 21, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Hi Jill,

It is one of my tweaks as only fat free cheeses count on Simply Filling. I’d rather use low-fat based on the ingredient list of real ingredients and I can keep portions in check. If I am cooking with something, I will use fat free cheeses as you don’t notice it as much.

Thanks,

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats January 21, 2014 at 9:52 am

Geez Danica, I LOVE Brussels sprouts but even I won’t eat them raw! Did you find you had any grastrointestinal stress with them?

DanicasDaily January 21, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Hi Robyn,

Surprisingly no issues. I did make a warm brussels sprout salad today where I cooked them so you may like that version better :)

Amanda @runtothefinish January 21, 2014 at 11:23 am

OHH I wish I could find brussel sprouts already shaved like that!! I am too lazy to do it myself so I always steam them..hmm now I will be on the hunt

Kelly January 21, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Hey Danica where did you find that container? That is like the perfect size for a salad. And i love brussel sprouts just never have tried them raw.

DanicasDaily January 21, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Hi Kelly,

I actually got it as a gift for my birthday. That being said, I have seen them at Target. here is the post that I did which includes a picture of what the kit looks like – I absolutely love it.

Samantha Vi January 21, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Sorry if you explained this earlier but I was wondering why you are doing SS over two weeks?
I’ve attended 3 SS meetings with two different leaders and all of them said after two weeks do SF.

DanicasDaily January 21, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Hi Samantha,

I decided to continue on for another week because I spent majority of last week working Simple Start while celebrating my birthday week. I wanted to see my results for a week when I did not have any special occasions going on as I dined out a lot last week. I’ve lost both weeks I’ve been on Simple Start though. It is basically the same thing as Simply Filling which you can continue on after the two weeks are up or go back to counting points+.

Samantha January 22, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Thanks for getting back to me! Happy birthday and thanks for sharing your SS and SF experience.

Valerie Heiserman January 21, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Danica, I SO love reading your blog; it gets me inspired! I REALLY want to make that salad with the shaved brussels sprouts, but, where on earth do I find them? I checked two stores today, but no luck. I can’t quite read the brand from the picture. I’m in Portland, OR.

Catherine Beaudet January 22, 2014 at 5:58 am

If you’re still coughing a month after your last true cold symptom then I suggest going to see your doctor about it. You may have a viral infection (ie, beginning of bronchitis or pneumonia) that has taken up residence in your lungs and bronchii and this is what’s causing you to cough. An anti-viral or an anti-biotic are the only ways to kick it.

I’m going to buy a bag of Brussels sprouts and throw a few in the Cuisinart’s shredder so I can make that salad. I’ll add it to my list for this Summer as right now it waaaaaaaaaay too cold to think about salads here in Ottawa.

So many ideas… ^_^