Simple Start Day 9: Door Steps & Kale Chips

by DanicasDaily on January 13, 2014

Happy Monday all!  Today started out on a pretty awesome note (and not just because the cool looking Healthy Egg Roll below).  I finally got my groove back on and headed out for a 30 minute walk with The Husband to start our day.

When we got back, he was in charge of our Simple Start Breakfasts.  He whipped up Healthy Egg Rolls for us and decided to make a Sriracha Birthday cake on my with 1-18 on it (my actual birthday day).  (SS/SF + 1 WPA) or 5 points+

Don’t worry, he totally decorates his too ~ today, he put a smiley face with a “go-tee” on it…he’s such a funny guy LOL Open-mouthed smile

Served up with a side of super crunchy, sweet blueberries.

My first meeting of the day was at Starbuck’s.  I ordered a Grande Non-fat Latte with caramel drizzled on top.(SS/SF) – 3 points+

One of my favorite things to get when we go to Australia is called a Door Step.  It’s this huge piece of bread topped with fresh veggies/fruit, meats, cheeses and toasted under the salamander to get all crispy.  I honestly have no idea why it’s called a door step other than the bread is super thick like a step?

They serve them at just about every café ~ I usually pick the one with tomato, pineapple, ham and mozzarella and it looks like this.

I decided that this week’s lunches were going to be Door Steps Open-mouthed smile

I took 1 ounce of 98% Honey Turkey Breast and Ham, then topped it with fresh tomato slices, pineapple and salt + pepper.

I finished it with a slice of Jarlsberg Lite Swiss (my favorite light Swiss).

We do not have a super cool salamander or even a toaster oven at work so I improvised.

I microwaved this for 45 seconds.

While I toasted a slide of 12 Grain Bread.

Then, I topped my toast with my cheesy, pineapple, tomato, ham & turkey topper to make my own version of a Simple Start Door Step! (SS/SF + 2 WPA for the bread) 5 points+

Served up with a side of cucumber chips.

Plus a simple side salad with fat free Italian dressing. (SS/SF) – 0 points+

I always dump my salad dressing on top of the mix, then, put the lid on and shake to distribute the dressing.  I do this with every container you see my salads it and it yields the perfect amount on every lettuce leaf.

Mid afternoon I snacked on an un-pictured Lite String Cheese and a Fantale Chocolate Covered Caramel Candy (they are from New Zealand & so good!) – (SS/SF+ 1 WPA) 2 points+

Dinner tonight was eaten in two parts because we couldn’t decide what sounded good.  I knew I wanted kale chips because I have been craving them. (SS/SF+ 1 WPA) – 1 points+

I ate half the pan while chatting away with The Husband before he said I should have some steak before I turn into a kale chip! Open-mouthed smile

The Husband knew he wanted to grill the steaks we picked up this weekend.  I cut, measured and ate 3 oz. of this steak that was simply grilled with sea salt & black pepper. (SS/SF) – 4 points+

I honestly had planned on making everything in a complete meal on a plate with a side of roasted potatoes, but, it just never happened.

I am content for now but will probably end the day with a Fage yogurt or maybe some peanut butter cup ice cream The Husband picked out.

Here are my stats today:

• Simple Start Day 9: 5 WPA used, 37 WPA remaining
  • 20 Daily Points+ 0 WPA used, 49 WPA remaining
  • Here is my FitBit Flex Dashboard!

QUESTION OF THE DAY:

How do you use kale? Steam it, eat it raw in salads, at chips or ?

1 Danica January 13, 2014 at 9:08 pm

I thought steak and ham were no no’s? If not, I have totally been depriving myself! :)

2 DanicasDaily January 13, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Hi Danica,

I like your name! :). Yep, you’ve been depriving yourself. Lean cuts of beef (think anything ending in loin or filet) and lean ham count as Simply Filling/Simple Start foods.

Thanks,

3 Gail H. January 14, 2014 at 4:35 am

Door Steps and Salad Rolls…my favorite!! Kale is in my share from Enldessly Organics this week (tomorrow delivery) so I WILL finally be trying these kale chips!! And I’m making your shrimp recipe tonight :) WW finally sorted out my on-line shopping cart so yesterday I ordered the new kit in the animal print bag (of course!!) and the new cookbook…gearing up for my SS beginning next week!

4 sl January 14, 2014 at 9:24 am

Can you share what brand of ham and turkey you used? At my meeting they said it had to be low sodium lunchmeat and I can not find any in the right limits. I miss lunch meat. It is quick and easy to have for lunches. Thanks for your help. Can you share your losses with us? Is it better than if using regular ww in the past?

5 Tammy January 14, 2014 at 9:49 am

Hi Danica. I’m enjoying your posts and also post my food to my Facebook page. Trying the Simply Filling method also, in week 2.

For your egg breakfast, how is it only 1 WPA with cheese and a tortilla (at least that’s what it looks like). Corn tortilla & fat free cheese?

thanks,
Tammy

6 DanicasDaily January 14, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Hi SL,

The brand I bought is from my local grocery store deli counter (Raley’s) and they are 98% fat free. I have not heard of the “must be low-sodium” requirement as I believe the only requirement is that it is lean. If you check your tracker and click on power foods only, you will see several brands that are listed for lunch meats, not all are low-sodium. That being said, I do believe Bohr Head makes a low sodium variety.

I do post my weigh in’s – here is the post I shared my week 1 loss of 2.2 lbs.

For me as well as several others I know, their losses have been higher than the average loss they had.

Thanks,

7 DanicasDaily January 14, 2014 at 9:52 pm

Hi Tammy,

Here is the recipe for how I make my egg rolls.

I use Mission Extra Thin Yellow Corn Tortillas which are 1 points+ each and that is what I count the WPA for. I sub low-fat cheese for fat free cheese as a tweak to simple start because the ingredient list is real, caloric value is very similar and I can keep my portions in check.

Thanks,