Simply Filling Turkey Apple Sausage, 1 points+

by DanicasDaily on August 29, 2012

One of the things I miss the most when I am using the Weight Watchers Simply Filling Technique is Sweet Maple Chicken Apple Sausage.  It is so easy to pick up any package of Trader Joe’s flavored chicken sausages to have a quick protein packed breakfast, snack or protein addition to any meal.  The reason that sausage is not part of the Simply Filling Technique is that is falls into processed (not so clean even when made without nitrates) category.

Have you all ever considered making your own sausage?  I am not talking about making the sausage that you “stuff” into links (I could so never be a butcher ~ the thought of that just freaks me out.)  I am talking about patties…..super moist, salty, spicy turkey sausage patties.

Making Homemade Sausage is so incredibly easy ~ you basically are just creating mini hamburgers with a kick.  Take your favorite ground meat (turkey, chicken, pork, etc.), add some garlic, onion and fruit, then, spice it up with your favorite seasons for a 100% healthy, clean sausage.

I definitely prefer my sausages to be more savory than sweet, however, you could easily sweeten these patties up by adding 1 Tbsp Pure Maple Syrup and 1/2 tsp cinnamon.

Enjoy!

TURKEY APPLE SAUSAGE (print it!)

How to make homemade sausage

INGREDIENTS

• 1 Tbsp canola oil, divided
  • 1.25 lbs lean ground turkey
  • 1 red onion, minced
  • 1 small apple or pear, seeded and minced
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1-2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
  • 2 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp ground sage
  • 1/2 tsp oregano or fennel seed
  • sea salt and black pepper

INSTRUCTIONS

1.  In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients.  Form into 16 meatballs.

2.  Add 1/2 Tbsp of the canola oil to a large nonstick skillet and heat over medium high heat.  Flatten 8 of the meatballs forming them into patties and add them to the skillet.

3.  Cook the sausage patties for 4-5 minutes or until browned, flip and repeat browning the other side for another 4-5 minutes or until the sausage is cooked through.

4.  Serve at once, storing any extra in an air tight container or wrapping in saran wrap to freeze individually for another time.

NOTE: You can change each sausage to 1 points+ per sausage patty by using 99% Fat Free Extra Lean Ground Turkey Breast.

Makes 16 sausage patties, 100% Simply Filling, 2 points+ each

Nutritional information per sausage patty calculated at caloriecount.com

This is one of the easiest recipes to whip up especially because I used my food processor to chop the onion, garlic and apple.

I prefer to cook all 16 sausage patties up and freeze them individually wrapped.  However, you could wrap them up raw, unthaw and cook before serving.

Looking for more Homemade Sausage Ideas?  Here are links to two other recipes I’ve made up that are fantastic.

I will be back tomorrow with my daily….only 2 days left until the long weekend!

1 Josie August 29, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Ok YUM!!! this looks so good. :)

2 Lucia August 30, 2012 at 2:50 am

They look delish, thanks for sharing… I am a savory breakfast eater (no cereal for me), this is perfect!

3 K August 30, 2012 at 5:54 am

Gorgeous! Who knew?

4 Mindy August 30, 2012 at 6:55 am

Yummy!!! On my prep list for this weekend!

5 Lori August 30, 2012 at 7:15 am

What a GREAT idea! I’m with Lucia – also a savory breakfast eater – this is a must make!

6 Ellen August 30, 2012 at 7:30 am

I am SO going to try this tonight! Looks amazing, tasty and the fact that one patty is only 68 calories and barely has any sodium ROCKS MY WORLD!

7 Renee@Mykitchenadventures August 30, 2012 at 5:49 pm

these look super yummy. I have made my own as well using Penzy’s sausage spice for them. Ill have to give your recipe a try. I love that you cook them all up and then freeze individual portions.

8 Sandi August 30, 2012 at 8:03 pm

These look SO good. I had never considered making my own, and I’ve seriously been wanting sausage lately. Thanks for sharing!

9 suzanne September 26, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I absolutely love these!!

10 Melinda (Kitchen Tested) January 9, 2013 at 10:03 am

Why does this recipe have any points on Simply Fillings? Because of the canola oil?

11 DanicasDaily January 13, 2013 at 7:59 am

Hi Melinda,

If you are following the Simply Filling plan, these are 100% Simply Filling and you would not have to count anything towards your WPA. I show the 2 points+ per sausage for those who are count points+ as well.

Thanks,

12 Dana Krall January 14, 2014 at 7:18 am

You are a rock star. I knew to come here to find a SF sausage recipe. It’ll be my first time making sausage. I’m so excited!!