During cold winter mornings, I LOVE making up a big batch of Crock Pot Steel Cut Oats. Steel Cut Oats are My FAVORITE type of oat because they are completely unrefined and they have such a chewy texture that almost “pops” in your mouth. I am pretty sure once you try REAL Steel Cut Oats (NOT the Quick Cooking Kind), it will be hard for you to go back to regular or instant oatmeal.
This recipe is so easy to make ~ feel free to mix and match with any of your favorite fruit combinations (apples/raisins, pumpkin, cranberry/orange). Simply put everything in the slow cooker and you wake to a big pot of super creamy, fruity, steel cut oats.
Did I mention that this recipe is made up of 100% Power Foods and fits into the Simply Filling Plan too?!
CROCKPOT STEEL CUT OATS WITH PEACHES & BLUEBERRIES
- 3 cups steel cut oats (I used Trader Joe’s)
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds, optional
- 8 cups water
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- 1 Tbsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- Pinch of Salt, optional
- 1 lb frozen peaches
- 1-2 cups frozen blueberries
1. Spray your crock pot with nonstick spray or use a crock pot liner. DO NOT SKIP this step you will be scrubbing for days.
2. Combine all the ingredients in your crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours.
3. Remove cinnamon sticks. Serve with your favorite toppings. I LOVE making this into a dessert and using brown sugar, whipped butter and coconut.
Makes 10 cups, 4 points+ per cup, add points+ for any toppers
Nutritional information per serving calculated at caloriecount.com
I didn’t really do any step by steps for this recipe. I fill my crock pot to the brim and all the fruit rises at it cooks over night.
Once you mix it all up, it looks like delicious oats with firm fruit. It freezes AWESOME too, just be sure to portion into 1 cup containers. A little water might be needed when heating.
I made a BIG 6 points+ bowl of comfort ~ topped with 1/2 Tbsp Whipped Butter, 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar and a sprinkle of unsweetened organic coconut.
MELTED brown sugar + whipped butter = CARAMEL ~ this tastes just like BLUEBERRY PEACH COBBLER in every bite if you don’t mix it up!
Just another one of my FAVORITE recipes from the archives. I have a feeling I am making this soon since The Husband asked why he didn’t get any of THAT oatmeal this morning when he saw my typing up this post
I am still working away so I will catch up with you all tomorrow with my daily eats!