Sneaking in those fruits and veggies

by DanicasDaily on October 4, 2010

Today’s guest poser is such a fun and awesome person ~ Andrea of Off Her Cork!  I LOVE that Andrea ALWAYS reminds me that leading a healthy lifestyle definitely should involve a little wine, a little chocolate and lots of delicious foods.  She is always giving me great ideas like she is doing for you all below.  Enjoy and thanks again Andrea!

****************************************************************************************************

Hi guys!  My name is Andrea and I write over at Off Her Cork!  Danica is off doing fabulous things on vacation and I’m here to help you pass the time until our girlie comes back home!

I love fruit and veggies.  I joke around that I actually consume my weight in produce on a daily basis!  My husband feels that is more of a truth than a joke though!

Sometimes, however, it can be hard to get in enough servings of fruits and veggies.  Or sometimes we need to eat something on the go and while most produce is portable, we don’t always want to munch carrot sticks or ants on a log.

Am I right?

That’s when it becomes time to get creative with our produce!

We all know about smoothies.   Smoothies are a great way to not only get in some extra protein for the day by using soymilk or coconut milk as a base, but it helps us get in some fruits and veggies as well.  Especially greens!  Spinach blends up great in smoothies, add in a frozen banana, and some frozen peaches and you’ve got yourself a mighty fine drink.  Plus you can’t even taste the spinach!

Shredded carrots provide an excellent way to sneak in some veggies!  Most people won’t even realize they are eating them!  We use shredded carrots a lot and some fun ways include as a topping on pizza.

Yup! Shredded carrots go great on pizza!  They crisp up and without realizing it, you’ve got a serving of veggies in your day.

They also go great in quesadillas!  Um, and who doesn’t love a good quesadilla loaded up with some guacamole and sour cream.

Now we’re talking!

What are some fun ways you like to sneak in some extra fruit and veggies into your day?  Thanks for letting me guest post Danica!

Amanda October 4, 2010 at 5:08 pm

Those quesadillas look out of this world! What a great idea about shredding carrots, thanks!

Lauren October 4, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Love Andrea! What a domestic diva! :)

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com October 4, 2010 at 8:50 pm

yay i had a green smoothie today too!!! <3 wow totally had lots of spinach in mine as well :P YAYY <3

brandi October 5, 2010 at 7:17 am

LOVE Andrea! Great guest post and ideas. And I’d like that quesadilla now, please! ;)

Andrea (Off Her Cork) October 5, 2010 at 7:23 am

Awww Thanks guys! :D

Natalie October 5, 2010 at 11:15 am

love the carrot idea!

Susie Bee October 5, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Ditto everyone on loving the carrot idea, that will go on our next pizza.

I’m a big fan of adding spinach to smoothies.

RunToTheFinish October 5, 2010 at 5:05 pm

heck to the yeah andrea!! I love sneaking veggies in all kinds of random stuff..especially for the hubbers. these are great ideas.