What’s not to love about apple wood smoked bacon, brown sugared sweet potatoes, caramelized leeks and savory fresh herbs all in a big bowl of Sweet Potato Leek Soup? This recipe puts a healthy spin on your traditional Potato Leek soup by using protein rich sweet potatoes and adding in a little bacon for a nice smoky, salty, crunchy finish.
There is absolutely no cream required in this healthy sweet potato soup as the sweet potatoes become incredibly velvety when pureed. You get hints of brown sugar, cinnamon, sweet potatoes, caramelized leeks and bacon in every delicious bite.
This soup is seriously tasty in more ways than I can type. I am pretty sure nobody will believe you when you tell them this soup is low-fat, healthy, Weight Watcher’s Friendly and good for them.
Enjoy this soup as is or serve it up with a side of Crispy Brussels Sprout Chips.
SWEET POTATO LEEK SOUP WITH BACON (print it!)
- 3 slices center cut bacon, chopped
- 2 leeks,cleaned and sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, (about 1 1?2 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 1 fresh thyme sprig or 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 4 – 5 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon, optional
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
1. Heat a large soup pan over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove bacon and set aside.
2. In the same pan, add the leeks to the bacon grease and sauté until soft, about 8-10 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes, thyme, bay leaf, crushed red pepper and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover, simmering for 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
3. Remove from heat, discard the thyme spring and bay leaf. Puree in batches in a blender or use a submersion blender until smooth. Stir in the brown sugar and cinnamon, then season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve soup with crumbled bacon pieces on top.
NOTE: To make this dish VEGAN, omit the bacon and use 1 Tbsp olive oil.
Makes 8 heaping 1 cup servings, 3 points+, 100% Simply Filling
Nutritional information per serving calculated at caloriecount.com
STEP – BY – STEP:
These beautiful, gigantic leeks came in this week’s Farm Fresh To You Organic Veggie box and I couldn’t wait to dive in and use them.
Leeks often contain sand in between their layers, but, do not fear using them. They are so easy to clean.. All you have to do is trim away most of the dark green tops and the roots, leaving the root end intact to hold the layers together. Slice the leek lengthwise to within a half inch of the root end. Hold the leek by the root end, fan open the layers, and rinse thoroughly under cold running water.
Slice away while your house fills up with the smell of the bacon bits cooking in the pan.
Brown the bacon in a large soup pan until brown and crispy.
Resist with everything you have to not eat all those homemade bacon bits because they will be your crunchy soup toppers.
Add the leeks to the same pan you cooked the bacon in making sure you leave the bacon grease as it adds that delicious bacon flavor IN the soup, not just on top with the bacon bits.
Peel and chop the potatoes while the leeks cook.
Add the potatoes, thyme, bay leaf, crushed red pepper flakes and broth to the pan.
Cover the mixture with broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the potatoes are fork tender.
Remove the soup from the heat and allow to cool for a few minutes.
Puree in batches in a blender or use a submersion blender until smooth. Stir in the brown sugar and cinnamon, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve soup with crumbled bacon pieces on top. Another thought I had that would be tasty on top is those little “fried onions” or chives.
There is still time to enter to win some of the Best Healthy Snacks you will ever eat. Head on over to enter my Nature’s Box Giveaway to get your hands on some.
I will be back tomorrow with a couple of announcement’s, my daily and we may have a road trip planned tomorrow since we both have the holiday off. This is going to be such a fun week!