The Best PUMPKIN BARS you will ever eat!

by DanicasDaily on October 24, 2010

This is a “secret” recipe that I received from my best friend in college while we were in college. These pumpkin bars are so moist they practically melt in your mouth.  You really can taste each layer of flavor from the moist spice cake to the vanilla cream cheese frosting to the roasted walnuts.  The best part is that they are SO EASY to make and perfect when you need to take a “treat” somewhere this holiday season.

I honestly believe that you should eat healthy 80% of the time for the 20% of the time you come across treats like this.  I guarantee everyone (even non pumpkin lovers) will LOVE this recipe. I have yet to find anyone who doesn’t.

Since I want to preserve her cool way of writing recipes, I am going to post this in her format – she always writes her recipes simple like this and I LOVE it!  I honestly think it’s because it tastes more like a delicious moist spice bar, then, it does pumpkin.  Although, I did hear someone mention they tasted like pumpkin cheese cake.

Guess you all will just have to try it and tell me what think :D

THE BEST PUMPKIN BARS YOU WILL EVER EAT!

Pumpkin Bars Recipe

BAKE

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Prepare a 12” x 18” or a Jelly Roll Pan (15” x 10”) pan with nonstick spray.  Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and the cake springs back when touched.

CREAM

3/4 cup oil

4 eggs

2 cups sugar

BLEND IN

1 15 oz can pumpkin (2 cups)

FOLD IN

2 cups flour

1 tsp baking soda

3/4 tsp salt

2 tsp baking powder

2 tsp cinnamon

Cool completely before frosting (about 1 hour).

FROSTING

3 oz Cream Cheese

6 Tbsp Butter

1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

1 3/4 cup Powder Sugar

SPRINKLE

with 1 cup Roasted, Chopped Walnuts ~ Roast at 400 for 7 minutes, cool, chop and sprinkle.

Cream Cheese Pumpkin Bars with Nuts

Do you really want to know the nutritionals??  See, not as bad as you think :D  It honestly makes a HUGE platter of bars ~ depending on the size you cut them ~ 36 squares.

ONLY 5 points+ a BAR based on 36 bars!

Pumpkin Bars with Walnuts

In other exciting PUMPKIN NEWS…..I was contacted by Woman’s World a few months ago and asked what my FAVORITE store bought pumpkin treat was and why……My answer showed up in November 1st issue!!!!

Woman's World

Any guesses what I picked??? Trader Joe’s PUMPKIN BUTTER!!!!! So cool to be featured with some pretty awesome Foodies!

_Best of_ Pumpkin Treats

By the way, they have some super cool Halloween Ideas in this issue along with a cool article on Oprah – check it out, it’s only $1.79 an issue – awesome!

My eyes are healing really well and it is freakin’ AWESOME that I can see like everything.  Nothing is blurry – no contacts or glasses needed.  That being said, not so sure they are digging me being on the computer.

Sooooo ~ Enjoy your Sunday and I’ll probably see ya’all tomorrow!

Annie October 24, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Hi Danica – Do you think I could use applesauce instead of the oil? Or do you think it would make the bars TOO moist? Thanks! Stumbled across your blog through danispies.com :)

Kristina @ spabettie October 24, 2010 at 12:46 pm

I completely agree with you… the 80-20 is key. All about balance. :D

These look awesome – thanks for sharing – I love the way the recipe is formatted too!

Congrats on being in good company and getting into the magazine!

BroccoliHut October 24, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Love the vibrant color of these bars! All too often pumpkin baked goods just appear brown, but these retain that lovely orange hue.

Cynthia October 24, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Those bars look awesome!

I just bought a container of Trader Joe’s pumpkin butter. Haven’t tried it yet, but I can’t wait. I also bought some Pumpkin Cream Cheese there. Yummy!

tj October 24, 2010 at 3:36 pm

SO glad you are seeing SO well! :) Yippeee

Those bars look DELICIOUS- however I was surprised how low the fiber stats were. Hummm. I thought that pumpkin would add more.

I wish I had just ONE of them here….If I made them I know I would be in trouble! lol :)

andrea October 24, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Those look great! It seems ore like cake than bars though.

Jen October 25, 2010 at 4:00 am

Wow. Wow. Wow.!!!! The bars look amazing!!!

Jen

Roz October 25, 2010 at 9:06 am

Wow! I can’t wait to try these! (and I’m also STILL lovin’ the photos of your trip. Such beautiful scenery!!!!!)

GiGi October 26, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Dude, I just read that mag today!!! It’s such a secret guilty pleasure of mine, ha ha ha! You’re now famous in my eyes! :)

Alicia October 27, 2010 at 12:56 pm

YUM YUM YUM looks delish!

Id love to hear more about your Lasik. I’m considering doing it also.

Kirby October 29, 2010 at 4:20 am

I made this for a dinner party dessert last night and you are correct, it’s absolutely FABULOUS!!! Now I have to get rid of it before I eat any more!

janetha October 31, 2010 at 2:05 pm

So cool with the article! Nice! These bars look REAL good, I need to make them for my office this week or next. I love baking and then getting it out of my house ;)

DanicasDaily November 1, 2010 at 11:15 am

HI Annie,

First welcome and second, I am so sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I am finally getting caught up on emails after avoiding the computer after Lasik.

I would imagine you could try using applesauce for the oil or maybe break it down as 1/2 apple sauce and 1/4 cup oil to start to keep the same consistency. I imagine it would just make the bars denser which wouldn’t be a bad thing.

Do tell if you try and have success with it – thanks for asking!

Jasmine Ohi November 18, 2010 at 11:07 am

these look amazing! and their nutritional stats are actually not that bad at all! just bookmarked these to make soon! thank you – misssss you!

Debbie November 25, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Wow! I have to say that these pumpkin bars were amazing! So moist and delicious!! I made these for Thanksgiving today to bring to my in-laws. I’m hoping to hear great comments about these. My husband loves them to and said good job!

Elena December 31, 2011 at 6:35 pm

I think you should say that it should cool before you but the icing. My husband made this and since it wasn’t in the directions he put the icing on as soon as he took the bars out the oven. Not a bad recipe over all just lacking an important step for those who don’t know.

DanicasDaily January 22, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Hi Elena,

Thanks for the feedback. I will update the recipe to say cool before frosting. I am glad you all enjoyed.