Think outside the “box”

by DanicasDaily on January 14, 2011

Happy Friday EVE everyone although I have a feeling by the time I finish this post it will be Friday…..soooo HAPPY FRIDAY & 3-Day Weekend if your job is like mine Open-mouthed smile

Today was such an awesome day that started out with and ended with Starbuck’s!

One of my FAVORITE things I LOVE to get for breakfast when I go to Starbuck’s is their Protein Plate with a banana.

Oh and ummm, I can never resist getting in my DAIRY with an Iced Dirty Latte (4 points+)

If you choose to eat the entire plate, it’s 10 points+, but, I ALWAYS think “outside the box” whenever I order out.  Who says you have to eat EVERYTIHING in the package in one sitting ~ why not break it down and each really just what you really.

For me, it’s the EGG (2 points+) and CHEESE (3 Points+)

Then, I take the FREE Fruit ~ apple and grapes and add a banana for 0 points+

I ALWAYS save the Muesli Bread (3 points+ guesstimate) and peanut butter )2 points) for snack another time.

Honestly this breakfast keeps me fuller than any pastry I could ever get and it feels like such a “treat”.  I LOVE having “leftovers” to save for when I get hungry later in the day.

Who says you have to have a BOX for lunch when you can pick a BAG ++ LOL

Lunch involved a NEW TRADER JOE’S FIND ~ Quinoa Duo ~ you can find this in the freezer section.

1/3 of the package is 6 points+!  Make sure you divide the package frozen or cooked into 3 servings to make sure you get the exact measure.

REAL ingredients ~ just another reason I <3 Trader Joe’s!

I originally whipped out my measuring cups from my desk (yes, I have spoons too and ALWAYS use them!), but, realized 1 cup frozen wasn’t 1/3 of the package.  I am all about maximizing my points+ so I divided it into 3 bowls and heated for 3 minutes.

Topped with a sprinkle of cranberries and 3 Trader Joe’s Candied Walnuts broken into pieces (8 points+)

Greens!!!  Topped with cranberries, candied walnuts and 1 Tbsp Trader Joe’s Spicy Peanut Dressing (3 points+)

Dessert!

MMMMM!  Totally random and totally thrown together ~ it’s kinda cool what you can do with a bag of cooked quinoa and a few “extras”.  This kept me full for almost 7 hours.

After lunch, we were off to volunteer to do some sorting at the Food Bank ~ Just another reason I LOVE working at Annie’s!  The Napa Food Bank was the VERY FIRST FOOD BANK I have ever volunteered at and it was awesome…..I learned so much that I couldn’t wait to go back and do it again.

After work, I was off to Reflection Salon & Spa to see my FAVORITE hair dresser ever!  I honestly LOVE that you can have homemade chicken potstickers ordered, delivered and waiting for you when you arrive Open-mouthed smile I totally resisted eating the entire container.  (10 points+)

I always bring her a Starbuck’s and decided it was totally worth it to be “dirty” and have 2 in 1 day Open-mouthed smile

Tall nonfat decaf latte with 1 pump mocha (4 points+)

Q’s

What do you like best about weekends?

For me, I LOVE being able to sleep in, relax, have fun and get all those “things” done that I never seem to get around to during the week.  OH and I LOVE my Weight Watcher group rocks too Smile

1 Kristina @ spabettie January 14, 2011 at 2:40 am

my favorite thing about THIS weekend? Jason has been out of town all week… he gets home tomorrow and we have two dates planned :)

I love the protein plate… I am going to look for that TJ’s quinoa.

HAPPY WEEKEND !!

2 Sarah January 14, 2011 at 4:43 am

I love that part of your job involves volunteering at a food bank!

3 Amanda (Eating Up) January 14, 2011 at 6:24 am

You are so right about not having to eat everything. I have a problem with listening to that!

4 brandi January 14, 2011 at 6:30 am

That is so awesome that you guys volunteer regularly – I think it’s such a neat thing to have as part of your job. Are they hiring for anything in Virginia? :) I could telework!

And I seriously need a TJs already. That quinoa looks SO good!

5 Leslie January 14, 2011 at 6:56 am

Danica, I LOVE your blog! I so wish we had a Trader Joe’s where I live. The closest one is 2 + hours away, but I’m thinking they might be worth a road trip!

6 emily January 14, 2011 at 6:57 am

i guess i haven’t been to sbux in a while..i didn’t even know they had a protein box!
i love long runs on weekends and saturday mornings breakfasts. :)

7 Erica January 14, 2011 at 11:05 am

Ok it looks like my list for Trader Joe’s is growing! That quinoa sure looks good! I don’t typically eat breakfast out but on occasion it happens, great to know about the protein box! I love your blog!!! Well I also like sleeping in on the weekends! I typically work more during the weekends so I’m usually out late Fri-Sat & I can really use some extra sleep! I often get to work with my hubby on Sat & we get to chat the whole ride into work without the kids interrupting. Hmm since I’m looking forward to our ride to work it got me thinking, we must be overdue for a date night! I also love the time with my kids & hubby I don’t usually ever work Sundays, so it tends to be a day to look forward to, everyone home, together! I also tend to do some meal planning, food prep & possibly some cooking ahead to better prepare me for my week! My 7yo DD loves to help me in the kitchen!

8 Elizabeth January 14, 2011 at 11:23 am

Danica~
Your blog is so inspiring to so many people. I enjoy reading what you are up to and your menu items.
Being a Weight Watcher successfully for 13 years, I can glance at many items and know what the points values are. That being said, I need to let you know that the dirty lattes that you are getting(grande) are four points with non fat milk. That pump of mocha is another point. I learned that the hard way… In a tall, your latte would be 4 points. I verified that in the new points plus book as well. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Also, the potstickers are two for three points and don’t forget to add whatever the points are for the dip. These things all add up.
As a Starbucks lover myself, I don’t mind adding up the points.. it is a delight and such a treat to have them. Enjoy EVERY single sip of them…

Thanks for taking the time to fill our heads with great ideas and for the chance to watch you as you making losing weight fun.

9 Jen January 14, 2011 at 11:29 am

Your Starbuck’s is awesome! The only breakfast ours has is oatmeal, sandwiches and pastries.

Have a great weekend :)

Jen

10 kristina January 14, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I love love love the protein plate! okay so i need to know what exactly is a dirty latte? Also have you tried the hummus plate? Very delicious..

11 janetha @ meals and moves January 14, 2011 at 2:40 pm

i love how you take your hairdresser sbux! you are such a sweetie. we dont have those protein platters around here, that’s a nice option. i like how you split it up! and i LOVE you!

12 lea January 14, 2011 at 6:28 pm

I LOVE your site!! It is always so inspiring and gives me great ideas! But, it does always make me so sad we have no TJ’s in Colorado…..=( Thank you!!!!

13 Christine (The Raw Project) January 14, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Yum, I good look for that Quinoa next time I’m at TJ’s. I love getting to sleep in and not be hurried by the clock on weekends.

14 BroccoliHut January 15, 2011 at 2:33 pm

That protein plate looks awesome! I’ll have to remember that for the next time I visit S-bux.