Hello Danica’s Daily Readers!
As Danica enjoys the sun in Jamaica she asked me to guest post while she was gone for you all! I have been reading Danica’s blog since she first started and had the pleasure of meeting her years ago at the Foodbuzz Festival in San Francisco! I couldn’t be more happy to share something from my life with you on her blog!
My name is Melissa and I’m a vegan, fitness and nature blogger over at Trying to Heal. My blog talks about a lot of things but mostly my adventures of sustaining a vegan lifestyle and traveling around the country and world for the biological bird work I do for a job! I just returned from a three month journey to Peru working with hummingbirds in the cloud forests and couldn’t be happier to get back to my favorite thing, baking vegan baked goods!
Today I am going to share one of my favorite vegan quick bread recipes that I have been using for years! It is super simple, not too sweet and rather tasty if you ask me! I developed this recipe mostly for my Dad who, although not vegan, has Crohn’s disease and can have very limited sugar. This recipe uses the sweetness of the applesauce and berries to give you just enough sweetness you’d want in a quick bread. But if you were looking for more sweetness, I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt to spread a little bit of jam on a piece of this bread afterwards!
VEGAN BERRY & NUT QUICK BREADK OR MUFFINS (print it!)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cinnamon applesauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup Unsweetened Almond Breeze (or any non-dairy liquid you want to use)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour (you can mix this up and use all whole wheat, but be aware it will come out extremely dense, or can choose to do one cup of each)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp of powdered ginger
- dash of sea salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (you can use any, walnuts, pecans, peanuts, etc.)
- 1 cup mixed berries, frozen
1. Preheat oven to 350 and grease an 8×8 pan, loaf pan or 12 muffin tins.
2. Mix together applesauce, oil, brown sugar, almond breeze and vanilla in a bowl.
3. Mix together all dry ingredients, then add in wet ingredients without overbeating.
4. Add in berries (make sure they are still very frozen!) and nuts; mix just enough to combine.
5. Bake for 30 minutes until a knife/toothpick comes out clean. Let cool then cut and store in foil.
Makes 14 slices, 4 points+ each
Nutritional information per slice calculated at caloriecount.com
Goes to show how hearty it is, it made it in one piece while working out in the field!
I hope you enjoy the bread recipe! Don’t be afraid of it just because it’s vegan! I promise it’s just as great as your other quick breads that contain eggs and regular milk! Cheers!
Thank you Melissa for sharing your Vegan Berry & Nut Quick Bread Recipe ~ I pretty much wish I could just grab a slice right off of the screen! Make sure you all stop by Melissa’s site Trying To Heal ~ she is truly an amazing person with a fantastic job and an excellent baker too.