Weight Watchers 2012 Points Plus Plan

by DanicasDaily on December 6, 2011

Happy Tuesday everyone!  As you all know from my post last year about the NEW Weight Watchers PointsPlus Plan, I LOVE getting my hands on the new materials as soon as they come out.  I think that was one things I missed the most about travelling home on Sunday ~ I had to wait a day to see what the updates were to the new Weight Watchers 2012 Points Plus Plan.

As several of you requested, I have outlined what I feel are the some of the BEST changes to the plan along with my thoughts and answered a few things I figured some people might ask along the way.  I do NOT work for Weight Watchers so this is all based on my personal knowledge/experience.

New pamphlets totally make me GEEK OUT ~ I cannot wait to dig in and read each one cover to cover even if I already know what the plan is all about LOL.

Here is what you will receive when you walk in the door to your meeting:

• Super cool Blue Booklet Holder
  • Weekly Handout (there is a new one each week)
  • A quick 2012 Reference Card with 3 steps to help you get started
  • Meet Points Plus 2012 ~ the new “Getting Started” Book that tells you how to work the program
  • Living Points Plus 2012 ~ Additional information (more like FAQ’s) to help you work the plan
  • Pocket Guide ~ contains A-Z points+ values for foods, tips on portion sizes, activity and weight goal calculators.
  • Weekly Paper Tracker (if you have the phone app, I recommend it over paper because it syncs with your online E-tools & it’s honestly AWESOME!)
  • Weigh In Book (shows your weight record along with your NEW Daily Points Plus Target

For those worried about CHANGE ~ I can honestly say don’t be!

The changes are a direct result of all the feedback Weight Watchers received from all the members this past year.

IMG_1943

You can tell they really put a lot of thought into the new materials to ensure they addressed several of the “grey” areas and questions people were having with the new program.

Plus, they really set Newbies Up for Success with some seriously AWESOME getting started tools!

IMG_1904

SIMPLY PUT ~ 6 Steps to be the Weight you want to be!

IMG_1901IMG_1902IMG_1903

CHANGES

1. Customize your Daily Points+ Target ~ You now have the flexibility to manually change your points+ target based on learning what works best for your body.

You may have noticed your Daily Points+ Target was changed for you from 29 points+ to 26 points+.  NOTHING says you have to reduce your daily Target.  I would follow this recommendation in deciding ~ it’s all trial and error because no TWO people will lose weight in the same way.

IMG_1916

If you are losing weight and at a rate you are happy with (such as 1/2 – 2 lbs a week), then, do nothing and keep your existing target.

If you are NOT losing weight or losing at a slow rate, such as .2 lbs a week, then consider adjusting your points+ target by +/- 3 points+ a day.

Do NOT go lower than the minimum of 26 points+ a day (on a daily basis unless you are truly not hungry) and make sure you are focusing on using your points plus to meet your Good Health Guidelines FIRST.

IMG_1918

2. Take a Break for a Day with Simply Filling!!! I can speak for my LOVE for Simply Filling (aka CORE!) because I lost HALF my weight following CORE.

Simply Filling is all about eating power foods until SATISFIED and using your Weekly Points Allowance for any NON Power Food Items. You would be surprised ~ even though you do not track the points+ for Power Foods, you end up in about the same Daily Target Range.

The BIG Difference is now you can try it out for a DAY versus having to commit to a week! ~ try it ~ you might just like it!

IMG_1905

3. Set you ACTIVITY GOAL!!! Probably one of my favorite NEW features is that Weight Watchers now assigns you a weekly activity goal and provides guidance on ideas you can do to meet that goal.

If you have E-Tools, take the “quiz” online ~ it takes less than 1 minute and it’s a fun way to get motivated to MOVE MORE!

It starts off small around 14 activity points a week and goes up from there depending our your individual activity goals and level of fitness.

IMG_1941

4. Make it WORK FOR YOU!!  I get questions daily from all of you asking me how I work the program, why points+ values are different, how do I allocate my points+ by meal, how to calculate the points+ values of recipes and more.

I do my best to answer them based on what I know, by asking my leader and/or researching them myself. I have to admit that sometimes even I have the same questions!

However, I have to say, it’s AWESOME to see that Weight Watchers has really “LISTENED” to everyone and created several Q & A sections to answer all those things that inquiring minds want to know.

IMG_1909

Here are some of the questions you can find answers to in your new Meet Points Plus Book

• How Does the Points Plus formula compare to the old points formula? Can I combine the two plans?
  • I am used to the Old Points Values, Do I really have to learn the whole new set of points plus values?
  • The Question I get asked almost every other week ~ Why Does the Points Plus Value of Foods with alcohol seem to come out wrong??
  • The Question I personally do NOT always agree with and know there is a lot controversy over……I included the reply because it was easier than retyping it….I think it’s a personal preference in how you account for it and if you can lose weight with how you count fruit and veggies in recipes (including or excluding) then go for it!

IMG_1921

• THE FRUIT QUESTION ANSWERED!! I think that one area that needed some verbiage around it was the zero points plus fruit.  You should ONLY eat until satisfied & use fruit to replace less healthy options (dare I say all those 100 calorie cookie packs!).  You should also think about the types of fruit you are eating.~ do not   Definitely focus on a variety of fruits too if you can ~ do not just go for bananas Open-mouthed smile

IMG_1925IMG_1928

5. REDUCE IT!! They added reducing your added sugar and sodium versus just saying “limit” sugar with alcohol in the good health guidelines…..all are important factors in being healthy!

IMG_1929

You will still find all the great visual references you saw last year, like how to visually measure a portion and how to determine your hunger levels.

There is also great guidance on how to plan out your meals by day.

IMG_1933

Find your daily points+ target and use this as a guide for how many points plus to have at each meal and snack.

IMG_1932

In addition to providing 3 weeks of pre planned meals for all members, there is a great Kick Start plan with RECIPES to mix and Match for the Week using the Pull Out Meal Planner in your Meet 2012 Points Plus Book.

IMG_1934IMG_1935

I personally LOVE using Calorie Count to calculate the nutritional information for my recipes (It’s FREE and you can copy/paste the recipe).  I  also use Weight Watchers Recipe Builder in E-Tools when I want a find just the points+ value and/or see how it compares to calorie count.

You can always follow this Simple Recipe Math Formula to determine how to calculate the points plus values in recipes.

IMG_1920

6. 3 POWER START SESSIONS WITH 3 WEEKLY MEAL PLANS! For the first 3 weeks, you all will have the chance to stay after your regular meeting for a Power Start Session.

3 words ~ JUST DO IT!

IMG_1944

It’s a great refresher and you never know….you might just learn something new. (Did I mention weekly meal plans?! Open-mouthed smile)

The 3 Pre-Planned Power Start Trackers will cover:

• Power Spaces ~ Out with the old & In with the GOOD for you foods!
  • Power Choices ~ Focusing on the right foods that give you the most bang for your buck!
  • Power Plans ~ Tips for dining out, adding in exercise & making the plan part of your daily routine ~ you do it without thinking, just like brushing your teeth (as my favorite leader always reminds us!)

My FAVORITE part of the trackers ~ the meal plans (based on a 26 points+ day) with room to make swaps for things like salmon that I do not like to eat.

There is a whole list of ideas to swap out the foods you do not want to eat and to add on to your daily points+ target to make it higher than 26 points+.

Ohhhh, and you can just head to the store right after your meeting using the shopping list they provide for the entire week’s worth of meals.

POWER UP!!!

For ALL members going to meetings from now through 12/31/11, you will receive the Living Points Plus 2012 Book at the first meeting.

If you go on 01/01/12 or later, you will receive it AFTER you have attended all 3 Power Start Sessions mentioned above.

IMG_1870IMG_1945

7. The LAST and FINAL UPDATE ~ FREE E-Tools for Lifetime Members (Finally!!!)

For those wondering ~ SHOULD I BUY ANY OF THE NEW STUFF?

Personally, I would NOT buy the new Deluxe Kit or Essentials Kit if you bought them last year because the points+ values of foods have not changed.  If you are an E-Tools and phone app user, you do NOT “need” (you may “want”) them because you have it all right on your phone/computer.

That being said, I know the new kits will include more foods (they are added all the time) and they will include any adjustments that they discovered for items that were misprinted last year.

If you are in the Market for new Books, here are the sales going on that I know of through 12/31/11.

• The Deluxe & Essential Kits are $10 Off
  • The Pedometer is $5 Off
  • The Scale is $5 off

The NEW CALCULATOR!! It is $5.95 until 12/31/11 and $7.50 after that.  The ONLY change in the calculator besides the new Bigger Numbers (I LOVE that!) is the way it calculates your Daily Points Plus Target.  It actually will calculate the range down to 26 points plus.  Otherwise, NOTHING else changed in how it calculates the points+ values of foods.

IMG_1952

WANT AN EXTRA CALCULATOR and do not care about the daily target?  Buy the OLD ones because they are on sale for $3.95 until sold out!

If you are a DORK like me and cannot pass up a cookbook if your life counted on it, get the Power Foods Cook Book ~ it’s $14.95 and there are so many delicious things I know I will be making from it soon!

IMG_1948

P.S. THE MOBILE APPS WILL BE GETTING THE BAR CODE SCANNERS BY THE END OF 2011 ~ WOOHOOO!!!

Ok, I think that summarizes all the changes to the Weight Watchers Points Plus Program that I know of……I’d LOVE to know what you all think and if you have any Questions??

LET THE NEW JOURNEY BEGIN ~ I am so pumped!! Oh and My daily journals will resume again tomorrow.

101 NC September 1, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Hi Danica,

I’m 58 years old, 233 lbs and 5ft 7 inches. Can you calculate my daily pointplus target?

NC

102 DanicasDaily September 2, 2012 at 6:22 pm

HI NC,

Your daily target is 32 and will go down to a low of 26 as you lose weight.

103 Rene September 18, 2012 at 1:52 am

Hi Danica,
I’m a 52 yr. old male who joined WW Points Plus Program about 13 weeks ago. I have not lost any weight to speak of as of yet. Am I doing something wrong?? According to the “Site” I have a daily points plus allowance of 63 points. That just seems to be kind of high to me. I am 5 foot 7 inches and weigh 340 lbs. Most days I am well below my allowance by at least 10 -15 points, but still no results. Am I not doing this right??

Thanks.
Rene

104 Sharron September 20, 2012 at 7:27 pm

I need to calculate daily points. I am 5’4, 180 lbs. and 70. Love this site! Thanks!

105 Sharron September 20, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Please help calculating daily points. I am 5’4, 180 lbs and 70 years old. Thanks! Love the sight.

106 Kerry September 24, 2012 at 6:43 am

I’m so confused on how the power foods work. Do I add these to my points or not?
Also, what about milk? Do I add points for milk? Thanks!

107 Faustina Lee September 24, 2012 at 8:56 am

I just happen to find this site.. GREAT!!! Because I am concerned. I just purchased the NEW 2012 Points Plus WW Calculator. I put in my information and my daily points and weekly allowance are the same!!! IS THIS RIGHT. I am 45 year old FEMALE, my height is 5’11″ and I want to LOOSE. My current weight is 323.3 and the daily points show up as 49??? ummmm this is way more than the older calculator..and then my weekly allowance is the same….can someone PLEASE HELP ME???/

108 Faustina Lee September 24, 2012 at 8:59 am

Danica, I am confused too…I need to find out if I am doing something wrong..someone please help and let me know if I am doing the calculations correctly or if there is something wrong with the calculator because I am putting in the information correctly and hitting enter…and end up with 49 points daily and weekly allowance????hmmmmm

109 Michelle September 26, 2012 at 8:44 am

what would my starting points be I’m 5’1 weigh 166 my husband is 5’10 and weighs 220. can you tell me what his starting points should be? I was told when I started with the new points plus everyone was 29 points.

110 Alicia October 16, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Hello. I was reading your website and I saw someone posted a link to find out how many points you need but I’m trying to figure out if mine is coming up correct. I’m 5’3 220 and 26 years old. I just want to make sure I have the correct points. I know when I started weight watchers I was on the 2011 plan and had 31 or 32 points and then went to the 29 points and when Doing that I didn’t lose weight. :/ so I wanted to again make sure.
Than you
Alicia

111 belinda matthews October 18, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Thanks for all the info, but I have a question. I lost 35 # on the old ww plan. I tried the points plus plan when it first came out (going to meetings), but I never could lose the weight. I am hypothyroid & very hard to lose, so I was thankful to lose on the old plan. Do you have any ideas why the points plus plan was not working for me. This was the first of 2011.

112 Anastasia November 5, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Hi! I am a new joiner to the program. i signed up online. does it really matter if you go to meetings? I record everything online. Not to sure about everything since I’m new, I’m still trying to get in the swing of things!

113 Lisa November 11, 2012 at 12:37 pm

If I don’t use all of my “daily” points, do I carry them over to the next day? For example:
If I have 9 points left at the end of they day on Monday, do I carry them over to Tuesday?

I don’t mean the 49 “weekly” points. I know if I don’t use these by the end of the week, there done.

114 DanicasDaily November 15, 2012 at 10:44 am

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the email. No, your daily points+ do not carry over to the next day like the WPA.

115 Geraldine January 1, 2013 at 9:58 pm

I am a pre diabetic with an A1C of 6.0. I am trying to lose weight and become healthy. I am hoping to reverse my pre diabetic condition. I have been waiting for Weight Watchers to put together a diabetic weight loss program. I am told the points does still work with diabetics but I need a specific plan. I don’t know what to eat in order to stay on program. When I signed up last year, I did not loose much and my doctor told me weight watchers is not the program for pre diabetics. I was told last year that Weight Watchers was working on a diabetic weight loss program, but no one had much to tell me. When do you think the diabetic program will be out? I would like to know asap. Thank you, Geraldine

116 Brandi January 10, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Hi I am also trying to figure out how many points I am allowed each day. Can you tell me how to calculate it? I am 19 5’3 and 218 lbs

117 DanicasDaily January 13, 2013 at 7:23 am

HI Brandi,

Your daily points+ target based on the information provided above is 35.

Good luck,

118 Felecia January 19, 2013 at 1:13 am

Hello, my daily points was 37 a year ago. I am 49, I weigh 265 and 5’4 could you please tell me my points? Thanks

119 Nicole February 9, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Hi,
Loved your site. I am 23 years old. 5’5 and 168 pounds. Can you tell me what my daily points target is?

120 mc February 24, 2013 at 6:21 am

tried going under website but not calculating for me..is there another site? im 38years old 5″4 in height weigh 150.7lbs and do moderate exercise and want to lose 13lbs..please help would love to start monday..thanks again

121 mc February 24, 2013 at 6:23 am

danica ..please help me ..want to start monday .. i weigh 150.7 lbs 38yrs old and moderate exercise want to lose 13lbs ..thanks

122 Hermina Winston February 24, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Okay,

It seems as though quite a few of you are trying to follow the weight watchers program without the fuss of attending meetings. There are plenty of resources online that can help you, but you need to know some things first:

1.When searching for materials online, make sure that everything belongs to the same program!

Weight Watchers Points Plus is a new program, launched by the company in 2010. Because it is so new, some of the material you find online belongs to the old model. One site that was recommended by another commenter (http://www.healthyweightforum.org/eng/calculators/ww-points-allowed/ ) provides your point values based on the old system’s metrics. The disclaimer at the bottom says so.

2.Mixing programs will not work!
The new system gives you a higher daily allowance, but most foods cost more in points than they did under the old system. If you calculate your daily point values from the old system, and the point cost of items from Points Plus you will end up starving. One cup of avocado under the old system was 6pts, now it will cost you 7. That adds up.
Either system should get you the results you want, but the new program is more in line with the current science on nutrition.
Here are two articles detailing some of the thoughts on the two programs, the merits and problems of the Points Plus system:

3.Must have resources
Calculating your daily point value:
Old system: http://www.healthyweightforum.org/eng/calculators/ww-points-allowed/
Points Plus: http://gnomes22.tripod.com/dailypptarget.html
This website can calculate the point value of food items for both the old Weight Watchers system, and Point Plus: http://www.calculatorcat.com/free_calculators/weight_watchers_calculator.phtml
I use Calorie Count to find nutrition info for my food items. Wonderful tool. It even has an index of many popular brands: http://caloriecount.about.com/

4.Your smart phone can help you diet!
If you own a mobile phone, there are several apps that can provide all of these tools to you for free. Some work better than others. I use two. One that tells me my Daily value, tracks my weight loss, and can tell me the point value of any food item. The other (also FREE) can scan any bar code and tell me the point value of the item by any quantity I want. Both were in the Google play store. Take a look around when you have some time.

Hope this helps!

123 debbie April 8, 2013 at 7:58 am

I have the new points plus calculator and I put my husbands weight etc in and it says he can have 51 points a day, If I do it on the free one online it says 28 which is correct, I am a member but did not want to pay for 2 memberships so he is doing it with me.

124 Angela April 29, 2013 at 7:02 am

Hi there. I have a 16 yr old daughter who is 137 lbs and 5′ 2″. She has been told by her pediatrician that she is over weight and to try to lose 10 – 15 lbs. She plays soccer three days a week and goes to a gym twice a week where she works out for 60 minutes with an athletic trainer but has stayed at the same weight as when she started four months ago. Using the method/formula for calculating points, I have arrived a a daily point number of 25 for her (I am experimenting here and have not tried to start using WW plan for her at this time) and would like your feedback. Do you think this number of points is correct? She is very active as I have said here, but struggles to lose the weight around her middle, and it makes her very unhappy as a teenage girl who is a little self conscious anyway. (Aren’t we all at that age?) Please reply with your thoughts. Thanks very much.

125 Nat September 3, 2013 at 2:47 am

Hello
I was wondering if you would be kind enough to calculate the daily points in which I can have if I was to start eating WW prepacked meals. I believe that the points are now change to pro-points.
I am almost 45 Female, 92kg, 172cm and nil exercise.
I thank you so much for your feedback as I’m unable to afford the WW documentation, calculator etc…
Regards