Weight Watchers Points Plus ~ The New Program

by DanicasDaily on November 28, 2010

I was up bright & early this morning so I could get my hands on the new Weight Watchers 2011 Points Plus Program Materials.  I have to be the first to admit that when Weight Watchers comes out with a REAL program revamp, not just an update, I am like a kid in a candy store (good analogy, right Tiff!) and I cannot wait to get the new materials.

Points Plus Meeting Materials

For me the NEW PROGRAM = RENEWED MOTIVATION!!!

As several of you requested, I have outlined what I feel are the biggest changes and answered a few things I figured some people might ask along the way.  I do NOT work for Weight Watchers so this is all based on my personal knowledge/experience.

The ONLINE VERSION is supposed to go LIVE tonight at 12:01 EST (9:01 PM for all my West Coast Friends).

If you can get to a meeting today, they are handing out all new materials and probably already know all of this.

I LOVE their new motto! The program is really simpler than it seems.

Eat Right

Be Active

Repeat!

CHANGES

1.  The points formula is now based on how nutritionally sound the food is ~ You will need to know protein, carbohydrates, fat and fiber content.

Their focus in on what they are now calling “Power Foods”.  This is basically the same as Filling Foods and the CORE Foods. Think lean proteins, fruits/veggies, healthy whole grains, healthy fats, WHOLE FOODS, not processed, etc.

The PointsPlus FormulaFilling Foods Power Foods

2.  My FAVORITE one of all ~ ALL Fruits & vegetables are now 0 points (except starchy vegetables (potatoes, corn, peas) and avocado)!

3.  New Points Ranges for everyone.  I know they raised the ranges because points on foods went up, however, I also think there is a mental aspect. that having say 29 points versus 18 points makes you feel like you have more to eat.

Eat your NEW daily points target each day.  However, listen to your body and only eat until satisfied, not stuffed.  No your daily points don’t roll over to the next day if you don’t use them.

Old Points Program vs Points Plus

4.  No more points sliders (they tried but it just is too much info & wouldn’t work).

To FIGURE OUT POINTS VALUES OF FOODS ~ you have 3 options.

1.  Look them up in your pocket finder or Companion Books

2.  Look them up online or using your phone application.

3.  BEST OPTION, (Honestly) ~ Use your points calculator.

5. Your daily points target is now given to you in ONE of TWO ways, it CANNOT be calculated online (unless you have e-tools) and it’s NOT in the books.

To FIGURE OUT YOUR DAILY POINTS TARGET ~ you have 3 options.

1.  It’s given to you when you attend a meeting in your weigh in book.

Daily PointsPlus Target

2.  It’s given to you online if you are an E-Tools or Monthly Pass Subscriber (I am guessing your phone app will have it too).

3. BEST OPTION, (Honestly) ~ Use your points calculator.

6.  NOT COUNTING points is still an Option through Simply Filling (think CORE).

No Counting points on Weight Watchers

7.  Get up and go ~ Be active whenever and however you can.

how to calculate Activity points on Weight Watchers

8. . Treating yourself is encouraged (We all now get 49 EXTRA Weekly Points Allowances)!  No they don’t roll over between weeks if unused and you may not use them all each week.

Awesome, right?

Just remember, the things that went up in points are the not so nutritional things so they will cost you more.  However, you will offset them by saving points on POWER FOODS that are now lower in points..

9.  The Good Health Guidelines have been updated to factor in power foods as well as limiting sodium along with sugar and alcohol.

What are the good health guidelines

FAVORITE NEW FEATURE

I am waiting for….All you DROID users out there like me, they finally have a WEIGHT WATCHERS DROID APPLICATION rolling out.

The BEST part, you can scan bar codes & it calcs the points!

A FEW FINAL THOUGHTS

* BUY NOW!   If you are going to buy the Calculator and/or Kits, buy them NOW even if you are not officially “joining” until January.  The reason being is Weight Watchers got “price smart” in that they are rewarding current members with lower prices, but, taking advantage of the New Year’s Resolutioners and raising their prices each month until they cap out in February.

I bought the Deluxe Kit because it includes a CALCULATOR for Free & a COOKBOOK! It’s $34 now (but will go up to $39.95).

Weight Watchers Deluxe Kit 2011

How cool is the organizer bag it comes in?!

Weight Watchers Organizer

There is also a smaller kit that is $14.95, but you don’t get all this cool stuff with it.

Weight Watchers CookbookWeight Watchers Tracker

* You really need a Calculator to calc points ~ it tells you your daily points target and helps you find the points for each food. It’s $6 or FREE with the Deluxe Kit.

* All of the Weight Watchers Products they sell went up in points values from the Bars to the oatmeal to the Frozen Meals.  (Side note, maybe they will work on making them with REAL INGREDIENTS/FOOD, not just chemicals Winking smile)

The Frozen Meal points values will most likely not show the new stats until January 2010. Look them up in the Complete Food Companion and/or use your points calculator until then.  The New Meals will have the Blue Symbol for points plus (most 6 point versions are now 9 points so check it out!)

* It’s really not that bad, they say most people eat roughly the same 25 foods all the time.  Over time, I am pretty sure you will know the points of the things you eat most often.

* No you don’t need to throw out all your old cookbooks. Just use the nutritional information on each recipe (even on my site!) to calculate the NEW Points Values.

For those looking to get a little help or just want to have a little challenge, they have a tear-out Kick Start Guide that tells you everything you need to get the program working.

Weight Watchers Kick Start ProgramIMG_2529Weight Watchers Breakfast Ideas

I was chatting up the new program on Twitter with a few super cool bloggers this morning and we decided to form our own Weight Watchers Support Group….anyone can join in, but, it would be a great way to swap ideas, motivate each other and reach our goals.

UPDATE!!! The Weight Watchers Support Group is now LIVE. We named it Friends for Weight Loss because that is what we are to each other. Click HERE TO JOIN THE GROUP & HAVE FUN!

Ready, set, go….

Stephanie January 26, 2013 at 10:46 am

Why doesn’t my weekly remaining points change. It stays at 49. If I am using points every day then how can my weekly remaining points still be 49?

Nancy March 12, 2013 at 2:13 pm

These are actually “Extra” points that you can use throughout the week; you will see the number reduce from 49 when you go over your daily points limit.

Hope this helps!

Kristine March 28, 2013 at 11:19 am

Hi,
I just started on Tuesday night and on my first day (Weds) I actually used 3 of my weekly points. Today, I have planned better and will probably have points left over tonight. Will those left over points “reimburse” my weekly points that I used on Wednesday?
Just trying to plan ahead for my weekend away/Easter dinner…

Thanks! :-)
Kristine

Michelle May 7, 2013 at 11:30 am

No, once you’ve used your weekly points, they are gone. You can, however, earn some points by getting on your feet and earning activity points. A 10-minute walk will get you 2 points!

Donna Hunt January 31, 2013 at 11:17 am

What is the lowest number of points on Points Plus?

Michelle May 7, 2013 at 11:32 am

(From the WW website)
5. You have a new daily PointsPlus Target
Whatever your daily POINTS Target used to be, it’s now higher. The minimum per day is now 29. Don’t worry that this will cause you to eat more and gain weight; the PointsPlus values of many foods are also higher.

tammy hall May 20, 2013 at 10:09 am

I was told the min per day is 26, that is what mines is… Is that why i always hungry……lol

betsy July 28, 2013 at 8:42 am

I agree tammy….I was told my daily points target is 26. When I joined back in 2012, it was 29 and I weighed less then! 3 extra points really make a difference…..anybody know for sure?

Sarah August 14, 2013 at 4:29 pm

My minimum is 26, but I am 60kg! away from that so currently on 40. Use an online calculator for WW points plus – just google it and one will come up. You can work out your points for now and for every anticipated weight until you goal weight.

Koni August 21, 2013 at 10:06 am

The lowest allowed is 26; this is the lowest target that still allows or the balance of nutrients that your body needs. You may want to increase protein to help with the hungry issue. You get a 49 points plus allowance in addition to the pointsplus target. You can use the allowance to avoid feelings of deprivation as you lose the wieght. Remember you can’t roll over from one week to the next.

Also you can earn activity points which can be swapped one for one for extra food pointsplus values. Your starter goal is to earn 14 activity points pwer week (2/day). Overtime it is encouraged to earn up to 28 to 42 per week to reap full benefits.

Paula July 18, 2014 at 10:28 am

I was just at my meeting on thurs and our leader said it was 26

ann beasley February 22, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Help! Where can I buy the Deluxe Points Plus kit including the calculator off the internet? It is hard for me to make it into one of the meetings and would really like to get started on this. Can you please help me with this question?

emily March 1, 2013 at 10:26 am

ebay?

skylooker April 28, 2013 at 11:20 am

Here is a Weight Watchers Points Plus Calculator Shortcut. A point value is total Calories divided by 40. Use 39 with a calculator for more accuracy. So, 200 Cal is 5 points. With 40, 5.5 points is 220 Cal. With 39, 5.5 points is 215 Cal. You can also do your own rounding. Say you eat 3.6 points, then 4.7. WW would round both up, to 9 points. But 3.6 plus 4.7 is 8.3. So you can enter 8 points if you want to. You can get to the 39 by taking 20 different Smart Ones frozen meals. Look at total Calories and total points. Divide to get 39. So with 29 daily plus 49 weekly, your daily total is (29 + 49/7) = 29 + 7 = 36. So 36 points X 39 Calories = 1404. That looks low. So now with respect to those who say a point is 50 Cal, we add 11 Cal X 36 pts for 396 Cal for fruits and veggies. So total daily Cal are 1950. You can also earn Activity Points. So 50 can be used as a value per point only when looking at total daily points, including fruits and veggies, when comparing WW to other programs. Enjoy and share.

christy March 27, 2014 at 6:54 am

Thanks for this info. This makes it so much easier for those of us on the run and often without time to look things up.

Linda Adams August 4, 2013 at 2:41 pm

i have been trying to lose weight for over 2 years now its really hard .i went on a low carb diet its works but its hard to eat the food when you have 2 other people you live with want eat the same things so i have been looking on the net to find some thingthat will help me my sister and neice told me about weight watchers on her.so im going to try the point diet im hoping it works.

Nisreen November 18, 2013 at 11:15 pm

I am an emotional eater I gained 50lbs in less than a year because of stressful situations, I don’t like the heavy me, getting tired from walking , how can ww plan help me & also I eat sweets for my emotion stress, don’t eat junk food but love carbs and sugar,plz help me I really need help I am getting out of breath very easily.

JoyfulMom January 18, 2014 at 10:29 am

Thank-you for this info! 4 of us ladies started this plan a week and a half ago – all of us have had success on WW a number of years ago, some on points, myself on core – so switching to this we’ve all had some questions and you just answered them all! I was certain I wouldn’t be able to figure out the pointsplus and follow it, as I don’t like being given ‘limits’, lol – which is why core worked for me. But I am absolutely loving this – it’s soooo real and doable. As a single mom with 3 kids, I don’t have to make myself something entirely different (although sometimes I do). It’s my choice, If I want to eat a larger amount of something, I just choose something with a lower pts value – if it’s something rich – then just a little bit. Thanks again!

kristin February 15, 2014 at 11:14 am

Hi there, I am new …well,I am not really even on board yet. My neighbor is starting WW and said it is so easy, but honestly, I am quite confused and dont feel like it is straight forward. Can someone please help me? I dont understand the difference between points and pointsplus…and which should I be using? Also, I am not sure if I calculated my total daily points correctly at 27points/day. How do I know if this is right and for which system? I need to know this just to begin…when I see the food calculations, my eyes cross and the mind boggles and I am not sure I can do this. Any insight would be appreciated. THANKS!

Wendy March 7, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Can anyone answer a ? For me. I have been trying to find out with the
new points plus calculator do you count all the fibers now or is it still like the
old way only 4. I would appreciate your help thanks. Wendy

Jana April 24, 2014 at 4:36 pm

Help I just started weight watchers 1 week ago I haven’t lost anything . My daily points is 30 do I need to be eating 30 points everyday even though I’m not hungry?? Thanks feeling discouraged

Taylor June 2, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Jana – I was on the old program years ago, and I’m currently learning about the new one. On the old one, there was a minimum daily points value that everyone needed to eat. Even if you were allowed more points, you had to hit this minimum. It used to be 20, and on this one, I think it’s 26.

I had a roommate who never ate enough food, probably about 8 points per day. I told her to up it to 20, and she lost weight. She even did it in an incredibly unhealthy way – she drank a few cocktails nightly to gain some calories. While that won’t be healthy in the long run, it shows that your body really does need the minimum points…anything less than that and you’re in starvation mode and you won’t lose a thing.

You probably don’t have to eat 30 points each day, but aim for at least 26. And switch it up sometimes – don’t always eat the bare minimum with no extras. Some weeks let yourself have fun with those extra 49, and you’ll find you’re still losing weight. Sometimes it even gives you a little kick away from your plateau.

Jeannie Seevers June 6, 2014 at 12:03 pm

I started ww a week ago. How long will it be before I see a pound or two drop, just curious. If I go a couple or a few over my allowance everyday using my extra points, how is it possible that I will still lose weight? Any help is appreciated!