I will be the first to admit I LOVE pizza and EVERY healthy lifestyle should include it. After all, it has several food groups that we all NEED in our day ~ protein, carbs, dairy, vegetables, the list goes on. Bubble Up Pizza Casserole is a recipe I came across several years ago when I first started Weight Watchers. I LOVE it because it’s easy, loaded with flavor and you can mix up your ingredients to get a different result every time.
I used what I had on hand this time, however, I have in the past, used ground turkey for the meats, ham/pineapple plus vegetables and fire roasted diced tomatoes for the spaghetti sauce. The possibilities are endless.
If you make one thing this week, make this ~ just pulling it up from the archives makes me want to make it on our trip LOL.
I honestly have not made this in a LONG time because the main brand that makes these biscuits has Trans Fats (AKA Hydrogenated Oils). I was SO EXCITED when I saw that Trader Joe’s is carries a brand that is all natural and has a decent ingredient list.
Thanks’ TJ’s ~ you come through once again ~ I LOVE YOU!!!!
I used several of my favorite Trader Joe’s products, however, feel free to substitute with what you have on hand or with your favorite items from any store.
BUBBLE UP PIZZA CASSEROLE (print it!)
- 2 Trader Joe’s Sweet Italian Chicken Sausages, casings removed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 red & 1/2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 17 slices turkey pepperoni, chopped
- 2 pinches crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 20 oz Trader Joe’s Arrabiata Spaghetti Sauce or your favorite pasta sauce
- 16 oz Trader Joe’s Buttermilk Biscuits
- 1 1/2 cups part-skim finely shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 Tbsp shredded parmesan cheese
1. Preheat over to 375 and spray a 9×13 dish with nonstick cooking
spray. Coat a large frying pan with nonstick spray and place over medium heat. Add sausage and brown.
2. While the sausage cooks, chop all vegetables and turkey pepperoni. Add turkey pepperoni for 1 minute to sausage and remove/set sausage aside.
3. Return vegetables to pan and cook until soft, approximately 5-7 minutes. Add spices, spaghetti sauce and mix well. Remove from heat.
4.. Pull each biscuit apart into little pieces. Arrange half of the biscuit pieces evenly over the bottom of a 9×13 pan. (Be sure that the biscuits aren’t to thick, or they won’t cook through.)
5.. Spread half of the sauce mixture over the biscuits. Sprinkle with half of the cheese. Repeat layers.
6. Bake for 23-28 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into squares and ENJOY!
*Make it VEGETARIAN By using Trader Joe’s Chicken-less Italian Sausage & Smart Deli Soy Pepperoni
Makes 8 servings, 10 points+ each
Nutritional information based on 1/8th of the casserole calculated using caloriecount.com (10 WW points+)
1. Brown your sausage.
2. Add pepperoni for last minute.
3. Remove the meat and set aside.
4. Add your veggies and cook until soft.
5. Add your spices and return meats to pan.
6. Stir in your spaghetti sauce and remove from heat.
7. Layer up your casserole, starting by tearing half (4) your biscuits and spreading them over your 9×13 dish. They remind me of little Gnocchi balls
8. Add half your sauce.
9. Top with half the cheese and repeat.
Going into the oven!
Let cool for 5 minutes after removing from oven before slicing.
Cut into 8 pieces and ENJOY every bite!
I honestly think that the leftovers the next day are even better! Go ahead and mix up your next pizza night!
We pretty much spent the entire night and today making our way to Hilton Head by tonight. LONGEST TRIP EVER LOL…..I have a feeling tomorrow might be a jet lag recovery day but I will be sure to get out and explore our resort and share some pictures with you all tomorrow night.