Chickpea, Asparagus & Corn, 5 points+

by DanicasDaily on July 2, 2012

Happy Monday all!  Thanks for all the support on my decision to go with Simply Filling for the month of July (maybe more!)  You all completely inspire me when I get to read about your journeys too.  Each comment was a little motivational boost to ignore that big jar of Biscoff or the Salt & Vinegar almonds staring at me on my desk saying “Just one bite, Just one nut!” LOL…..But, I didn’t give in to a single one….

You know why?! All of my food today was so completely satisfying and tasty too!

Breakfast started off with scrambled ham ‘n’ eggs.  Canadian Bacon is the one bacon that is Simply Filling and it shows up on my menu as “bacon” a lot.

5 points+ for those counting ~ 100% Simply Filling

• 1 egg plus 3 egg whites
  • 3 slices Trader Joe’s 97% Lean Canadian Bacon
  • Splash of FF Milk
  • Sea salt, black pepper, hot sauce
  • Tomatoes from our garden! and green onions

Served up with a big bowl of Melon.

I have also decided I am drinking one big bottle and/or glass of water with each meal.  I took everything with me along with my Green Mountain Iced Island Coconut Coffee.

Another goal I have for the month is going to be do to “something” active every day for 20 minutes.  Today I got out at lunch and got my walk on!

I walked 3.9 miles and burned 4 pears according to my Cardio Trainer App on my Razr Max ~ so fun!

I couldn’t wait to dig into lunch once I got back and cooled off.  Today’s lunch was courtesy of my fantastic Weight Watchers leader.  She gave us all this recipe as a quick side to make for our July 4th BBQ.  It’s light, simple, VEGAN and takes less than 15 minutes to make and cook.  I did end up seasoning it up a bit with flavored vinegars and serving it over a bed of organic mixed greens to make it a meal.

The part that makes this salad so fun is we bought everything except the chickpeas at the Farmer’s Market.

This recipe comes from an older Weight Watcher’s book I have ~ it’s 100% Simply Filling and works for pointsplus as well!

Chickpea, Asparagus & Corn Sauté (print it!)

INGREDIENTS

• 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (or thawed frozen)
  • 1 lb fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
  • 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
  • 3 Tbsp rice wine or white balsamic vinegar (I added both)
  • Sea salt & black pepper to taste

INSTRUCTIONS

1.  Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.  Add the garlic and onion, cook, stirring constantly until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

2. Add the asparagus and cook, stirring occasionally, until bright green, about 2 minutes.  Add the corn and cook 1 minute longer.  Add the chickpeas and cook, stirring occasionally, until asparagus is tender, about 1-2 minutes more.

3.  Remove the skillet from the heat; stir in the tomatoes, basil, vinegar, sea salt and pepper.

Makes 4 servings, 1 cup each, 5 points+ each

Nutritional information per serving calculated at caloriecount.com

STEP – BY – STEP

Sauté the olive oil, garlic and onions for 30 seconds.

Add the asparagus and cook for 2 minutes until bright green.

Add the corn and cook 1 more minute.

Add the chicken peas and cook 1 additional minute.

Add the basil, tomatoes, vinegar, sea salt and black pepper to taste.  Toss and enjoy!

To serve mine, I started off with a big bowl of mixed greens.

Then, I piled it high with 1 big cup of the Asparagus, Corn and Chickpea Saute.  Totally light, refreshing, colorful and the sauce is delicious over the greens ~ no dressing required!

Dessert!

I packed extra snacks with me today because I was not sure how hungry I’d be.  I started off with a banana and lite string cheese, but, an hour later I was hungry again.

I decided to snack late afternoon so I didn’t eat everything in the house when I walked in the door.  I pulled out my Pluot and a Fage 0% Strawberry.  I count 1 points+ for the “jam” towards my WPA.

Dinner started with fizzy water in our new cups which make drinking water so fun!

Dinner started with a BBQ Chicken Leg 1 points+ for the BBQ sauce!

Probably my FAOVIRTE Simply Filling Food ever ~ Sweet Potato “Fries” cooked in my healthy 2 tsp of canola oil and topped with sea salt.

Farmer’s Market Corn!  I was satisfied so I never went back for the other half.

Happiness is…anything BBQ’d, grilled and served with Corn & Sweet Potato Fries!

I decided to go back and update each day for the full results.  You can see yesterday’s total now.

STATS:

• 2,962 calories burned
  • 11,161 steps taken
  • 2 WPA used, 34 WPA remaining (25 daily points+)

Q’s

Ok, your turn ~ Finish this statement “Happiness is…….” (fill in the blank)

1 brandi July 3, 2012 at 5:48 am

did something change with core/simply filling? last i knew, ALL parts of a chicken were core (but not the skin) – meat, yes.

2 Vanessa G July 3, 2012 at 7:33 am

Love the recipe. Can’t wait to try it! Keep up your hard work. :)

3 Cindy July 3, 2012 at 7:36 am

Happiness is … finding your page Danica. I have found out so much info here and love your blog. I started Points+ yesterday and would like to loose 25 lbs. I did Medi Weight Loss and lost 33 pounds in 2010, got too comfortable with myself and put most of it back on. Because of time and money constraints, I am trying this without joining online or a meeting group. I look forward to ‘seeing’ you every day. Smile, it is going to be a beautiful day.

4 Jane July 3, 2012 at 7:39 am

Happiness is having better numbers than I thought for my physical yesterday LOL!

How did you make the sweet potatoes fries?

One day at a time!

5 Carol July 3, 2012 at 8:20 am

Happiness is hearing my autistic son say I LOVE YOU MOM! Also happiness is summertime with fresh fruits and veggies…. :)

6 Cindy July 3, 2012 at 9:38 am

Awesome!!

7 Tamara July 3, 2012 at 11:02 am

I was wondering the same, but then thought maybe because it was made with BBQ sauce? Not sure but I’m awaiting Danica’s reply to you!

8 Alex July 3, 2012 at 12:34 pm

That looks delish. Did you bake the potatoe before you fried it in oil?

9 DanicasDaily July 4, 2012 at 7:11 am

Hi Brandi,

You know, it’s so funny because I was sort of jaded when I looked it up in my WW online tracker and it said that chicken legs were not simply filling. So, I begrudging accepted it and counted the WPA.

So, when, you asked, I thought, you know what….I am going to look it up and guess what. WW online tracking that says all chicken without skin or breading is included. You can see the updated list for Simply Filling vs CORE here.

I am so adding my WPA back!

Thanks!

10 DanicasDaily July 4, 2012 at 7:12 am

Hi Tamara,

Thanks ~ you can see my response below.

11 DanicasDaily July 4, 2012 at 7:14 am

Hi Jane,

To make the sweet potato fries, peel your sweet potato and poke a few times with a fork. Microwave for about 4 minutes or until slightly softened, but, still firm.

Slice into rings or “fry” shapes. Heat 2 tsp of healthy oil over medium heat and “fry” the sweet potato wedges flipping after about 2-3 minutes.

Sprinkle with sea salt and enjoy!

12 DanicasDaily July 4, 2012 at 7:14 am

Awww, I LOVE that! Thanks for sharing Carol.

13 DanicasDaily July 4, 2012 at 7:16 am

Hi Alex,

Yes, sort of. I peeled the sweet potato, then, microwaved it for 4 minutes until slightly soft, but, still firm before frying.

14 brandi July 4, 2012 at 7:21 am

i was just wondering! i don’t have the newest material, so i wasn’t sure if something changed or not.

good to know!

15 Tamara July 4, 2012 at 7:41 am

Great, that makes sense! Glad you checked into it. :)

16 Debbie July 4, 2012 at 10:40 am

Danica, I just made your recipe, “Chickpea, Asparagus & Corn Saute.” Very light and delicious – I think it’ll be a great side for some grilled chicken. Happy 4th!

17 Karen Groszewski July 4, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Danica,
Thanks to you and your recipes, I was able to gobsmack The Husband and teen boys again. Today I made the asparagus and chickpea salad, and for the third time since June, I made the slow cooker beans. Usually we grill for the Fourth, but with THI’s in the 100+ degrees, it was too hot for me to cook outside. We topped off this Fab dinner with cold and refreshing watermelon:-).
You are really making me look good. THANKS!

18 Yvonne July 5, 2012 at 7:56 am

staying on plan!!

I’m going to start doing simply filling on Friday.
Thanks for all the wonderful meal ideas.

19 Kim July 23, 2012 at 7:50 pm

I finally got around to making the chickpea, asparagus and corn saute. It was fabulous. Thanks so much for the recipe. I’m trying simply filling and enjoy all the wonderful ideas you have given me.

20 Judy August 9, 2012 at 6:16 am

I made the chickpea, asparagus & corn last night and wanted to let you know I thought it was delicious. I served it alongside a grilled salmon. When I asked DH how dinner tasted, he said “healthy”. I’m going to take it as a compliment:-)