Happy Tuesday all! I am back with the first recipe in my Eggland’s Best Brunch Recipe Series. I will be the first to admit I have ALWAYS wanted to try to make crepes, but, honestly, I thought they seemed “too hard”. Maybe it is all the vendors you see at Farmer’s Markets and on the Food Network using their fancy pans twirling the light and fluffy crepe batter around. Maybe it is just that I thought how do you make such a thin pancake and flip it without tearing.
We all know I have issues with that ~ hence, why my Chicken Enchiladas are a casserole instead of well pretty rolled up enchiladas.
The idea for this recipe came about when I started pondering what appetizers I could serve for my brunch. I totally thought of those delicious ham and cream cheese tortilla roll ups that are filled with chives, olives, cream cheese, ham. The only problem is I can literally eat a bunch of those thinly sliced tortillas and well that didn’t include my star ingredient ~ Eggland’s Best Eggs!
Enter Crepes! Not just any Crepes ~ crispy and light crepes filled with all those delicious ingredients made healthy. Lean Brown Sugar Ham, cream cheese with chives, sweet and spicy cherry peppers and a whole lotta deliciousness.
You really can mix and match any ingredients to make your favorite Crepe Roll Up’s ~ get creative and dig!
HAM & CHEESE CREPE ROLL-UPS (print it!)
- 8 Light and Healthy Crepes (recipe below)
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat cream cheese Or 8 Laughing Cow Cheese Wedges
- 2 Tbsp fat-free milk, optional
- 1/2 cup chives, diced
- 1/2 cup cherry peppers, stems removed, diced
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 8 slices lean brown sugar ham from the deli
- 2 cups Organic Arugula
1. To make your cream cheese spreadable, use the milk to thin it by beating together cream cheese and milk in a small bowl until smooth.
2. Place 1 crepe on a flat surface. Spread 1 rounded tablespoon of cream cheese all over the crepe. Sprinkle with chives, cherry peppers sea salt and black pepper. Top with 1 slice of ham and a small 1/4 cup of arugula. Roll it tightly like a fancy burrito being careful to not tear it.
3. Repeat the remaining crepes. Cut each crepe equally into thirds, plate and serving.
Makes 8 Ham & Cream Cheese Crepe Roll Up’s, 24 pieces, 1 points+ each
Nutritional information per piece, based on 24 roll ups calculated at caloriecount.com
The “Secret” Ingredient ~ who knew making Crepes really was THIS easy!
LIGHT & HEALTHY CREPES! (print it!)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
1. Mix together the dry ingredients, flour and salt, in a medium bowl. Set aside.
2. Whisk together milk and eggs in a small bowl. Whisk egg mixture into the flour mixture until smooth and let stand for 15 minutes.
3. Spray an 8-inch nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium heat until drop of water sizzles in pan. Pour a 1/4 cupful of batter into the skillet, tilting pan to coat bottom completely.
4. Cook until top is set and underside is golden brown, about 11/2 minutes. With Spatula, loosen edge of crepe and turn over. Cook until second side is slightly browned, about 25 seconds. Slide crepe onto plate.
5. Repeat with remaining batter, lightly spraying skillet before adding more batter.
Makes 8 crepes, 1 points+ each
Nutritional information per crepe calculated at caloriecount.com
STEP – BY – STEP
Mix together your dry ingredients and set aside.
Whisk together your eggs and milk.
Slowly whisk the wet ingredients into the dry mix whisking until thoroughly combined.
Allow the batter to set up by letting it rest for 15 minutes.
Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spray with nonstick spray. Add 1/4 cup of the crepe batter to the pan and swirl it around.
Cook for 1 1/2 minutes until the batter is set and the top is bubbly.
Flip and cook an additional 30 seconds. Then, remove to a plate.
Repeat until all your batter is gone, you should end up with about 8 crepes.
Spread with a heaping tablespoon of cream cheese (or laughing cow cheese!) and top with chives, sea salt & pepper.
Add toppings ~ My favorite topper ~ Cherry Peppers, but, olives would be pretty amazing too.
Add your greens ~ I used arugula for the peppery bite.
Roll it tightly like a fancy burrito being careful to not tear it.
Cut each roll evenly into 3 pieces.
How awesome is it that they are 1 points+ each or 5 pieces for 5 points+!
MMMM ~ I wish we still had some of these now!
How would you fill your crepes?
I have been dreaming about Bananas and Nutella ever since I made these 2 points+ Banana Nutella Won Tons. I have a feeling the combination in crepes might just be phenomenal. Then again, I think Biscoff would be too as well as maybe a pizza crepe (like Pizza Roll Ups!)
The options really are endless!