How-To Roast Squash

by DanicasDaily on September 22, 2012

One of my favorite things about the Fall and Winter is squash.  I love all the different varieties that you can find at the market and have fun trying out different ways to bake, roast and cook squash.  I think one of the most flavorful methods for cooking squash is to roast it.  All of the flavors caramelize as it roasts so you can truly taste all the sweet, nuttiness in the squash and it makes the squash so tender that it just melts in your mouth.  Another reason I love squash is it’s versatility.  You can serve it sweet like dessert, savory as a side or soup, as a cheese substitute for mac n cheese and, my all time favorite, as a healthier alternative to French fries!

For today’s how-to, I used Kabocha Squash.  The flavor of Kabocha squash reminds me of a cross between butternut squash and pumpkin.  Here are two easy methods for roasting squash plus a few variations to help you spice or sweeten it up.  Enjoy!

HOW TO ROAST SQUASH (print it!)

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 Kabocha Squash
  • 2 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Sprinkles of Sea Salt ~ 1/4 tsp
  • Dashes of freshly ground pepper ~ 1/8 tsp

OPTIONAL ROASTING VARIATIONS:

INSTRUCTIONS:

1.  Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.  Prepare a cookie sheet with foil and nonstick spray.

2.  Rinse the outside of your squash, slice in half and scoop out the seeds.   Slice your squash into pieces, think cantaloupe slices, leaving the skin on.

3.  Place squash slices onto prepared cookie sheet.  Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.

4.  Bake for 30 minutes, flipping your slices over once half way through.

Makes 2-4 servings, depending on how much squash you’d like to enjoy!

Did I mention this is 100% Simply Filling and 0 points+ per serving?

Nutritional information per serving based on 4 servings calculated at caloriecount.com:

STEP – BY – STEP:

Rinse and dry your squash to remove any residual dirt.

Slice in half and use a spoon to scoop out the seeds.

You can roast your squash in two halves, just skip to step #3.  This method would be the preferred method if you are making the Brown Sugar Buttered Squash.

However, I prefer to roast them sliced because they are more fun to eat that way :)

Place your squash slices on your prepared cookie sheet.  Drizzle with olive oil, sea salt, and black pepper.

NOTE:  Any sea salt will work, however, I prefer to use a course salt that has a intense flavor like this sea salt.  You will be surprised how different it tastes from what you can pour out of a shaker ~ a little goes a long way.

Roast at 400 degrees for 30 minutes, flipping half way through.

If you are brave, you eat the skin too, but, if you are like me, you leave the skin behind :D

This method works great for just about any squash, however, Kabocha and Acorn Squashes work best.

Enjoy!

1 janetha January 28, 2010 at 8:17 pm

DANICA! i just got your package and YOU ARE SUCH A BABE! i love your face!!! THANK YOU!

and.. this is a great how-to. i dare say i like roasted squash better than french fries! :P

ok, maybe not TAYLOR’S fries!

2 DanicasDaily January 29, 2010 at 8:20 am

Yeah!!! I am so glad it arrived before your Jamaican vacation!!! Hopefully it’s everything you like ~ Enjoy!

I agree Taylor’s fries are pretty hard to compete with

Love ya xoxo,

3 RunToTheFinish January 29, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I finally tried roasting broccoli and now I know I will be doing squash, they all remind me of sweet potatoes fries.. YUM!

4 Jasmine Ohi February 2, 2010 at 2:20 pm

thank you for posting this – I need this tutorial to get through roasting squash. You make it seem so easy, but somehow I cant get it right!

5 Yvette Kane September 22, 2012 at 7:45 am

You work way to hard. Wash it, Prick it and throw it in the oven whole.(in a dish)When it is soft, it is done. I do this every Sunday with Squash, & Sweet Potato. Just take out the squash, let it cool, cut in half, deseed(o.k., maybe not a word:) and mash.

6 Nancy September 23, 2012 at 5:43 am

Yvetter, I cook squash your way and the way Danica shows. They are both great ways to cook squash, but they produce very different results. With Danica’s method you get a whole carmalized, browning thing that you don’t get with your method. That really does add a lot of flavor, and it tastes quite different than when you bake the squash whole. If I am using cooked squash as part of a recipe, I do it your way. But, if I’m eating it on it’s own, I find it more flavorful to roast it the way Danica describes. :-)

7 Kelly September 23, 2012 at 9:02 am

Funny (or not so funny), yesterday I was roasting squash cut in half upside down in two glass baking dishes and felt it need more water. So I used slightly cooler water and added directly to the dish in the oven and the dish broke right in my oven. Was a rookie mistake and a huge mess. Plus I couldn’t eat the squash! I won’t forget that for a long time! :-)

8 Diane September 23, 2012 at 10:30 am

Thanks for the tips. Great info. Can’t wait to try some squash now.

9 DanicasDaily September 23, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Hi Kelly,

That is crazy – I think a complete fluke with your baking dish. I know they say to never put a cold dish in a hot oven, but, I never actually believed that. I am so sorry to hear about your pan, but, on the brighter side, you get to go shopping for a new dish :D

10 Life's a Bowl September 23, 2012 at 7:29 pm

I totally feel like a cheater, but I always buy the pre-cut butternut squash from TJ’s… It’s so easy to steam/ roast and mash :)