Lazy Chicken Enchiladas Revisted

by DanicasDaily on May 9, 2010

Happy Mom’s Day!!! We had such a fun time celebrating our Mom’s today.  It started off with another road trip up to see my parents.  We met them to watch DATE NIGHT, have lunch and do a little shopping.  Then, it was back home for a Lazy Chicken Enchilada Fiesta with The Husband’s mom.

I wasn’t hungry at all for breakfast (rare for me), but, I ALWAYS believe in having something to break the “fast” from the night before and get your metabolism revving.

Grande FF Decaf Latte with Caramel Drizzle (2 pts)

Starbuck's Grande Iced Latte

After we left the house and were on the road my stomach decided it was time to get hungry.  I snacked on some WW Rosemary & Olive Oil Pretzel Thins (2 pts) to tied me over through the movie.

Weight Watchers Rosemary & Olive Oil Pretzel Thins

We had all decided to go to Jack’s Urban Eats for their AMAZING salads, but, they were closed for Mothers Day :( Booo!

Our second choice was BJ’s Brewery and it did not disappoint!

Everything on the menu sounded AWESOME.  I debated having one of everything :D, but, when I read the description of the Balsamic Glazed Chicken over Mixed Greens I knew I had to get it. This was probably one of the most amazing dishes I’ve ever had. I ate 1 chicken breast, all the greens and onions (two types – marinated in balsamic & crispy ones) plus about pretty much all of my white cheddar mashed potatoes.

BJ's Balsamic Glazed Chicken Over Mixed Greens

I plan on re-creating this salad this week – it was THAT good!

Best Balsamic Chicken Ever

To make life easier, I prepared everything last night for dinner with The Husband’s mom.

ON THE MENU:

* Homemade Salsa Mexicana & Guacamole

* Lazy Chicken Enchiladas with Red Sauce

* Big Green Salad

* Lemon Cookies & Strawberry Short Cake for dessert

I personally think the type of enchilada sauce you pick makes a HUGE difference in the flavor.  This is my FAVORITE one and it’s 110% worth paying $1 or $2 more.

Frontera Classic Red Chile Enchilada SauceIMG_4961

You can use flour or corn tortillas, but, I prefer corn because their stats are better and the flavor of these Green Chili Corn Tortillas ROCK!

Sonora Style Green Chili Corn Tortillas

ALWAYS buy and finely shred your own LOW FAT cheese.  It melts better and it goes further.

Finely shredded low fat sharp cheddar cheese

Start off by boiling your chicken…it allows the chicken to cook but keeps it super moist.  At the same time, I caramelize a little onion and garlic.  Shred your chicken and add your onion mixture, sea salt and black pepper.

Drizzle a little enchilada sauce to add even more flavor.

Start out with a light layer of enchilada sauce, about 1/3 cup.

1/3 of your triangle tortillas and half the chicken mixture.

Top with 1/3 of your cheese and olives.

Another 1/3 c of enchilada sauce drizzled.

Repeat again with your top layer being sauce, cheese and olives.

Bake at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes until heated through and the cheese is melted.

Lazy Chicken Enchiladas with Red Sauce

Cut into 8 slices and dig in!!!  Only 5 points a serving!!!

You can top it with FF Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt, Guacamole, salsa and/or any of your favorite toppings.

Side Salad with Newman’s Own Light Lime Vinaigrette.

I seriously need to revisit more recipes that I’ve made before – I LOVE these and will be loving them even more tomorrow when I don’t have to cook! :)

I plan on having a couple of Meyer Lemon Sugar Cookies for dessert (Earth Friendly ~ recycled picture!) :D

Meyer Lemon Sugar Cookies

Today is the last day to enter for your chance to win a Whole Foods Gift Card….Go make your pledge now ~ if you already made one, make another, there is NO LIMIT to how many times you can enter ;)

Night all!!

1 tj May 9, 2010 at 8:19 pm

YUM! looks like a great day! :) Never been to BJ’s- we have one close by- salad looks great! I look forward to seeing your recreated version! :)

2 Lauren May 10, 2010 at 3:54 am

You would have fooled me. The enchiladas in no way look “lazy”. Hope you had a wonderful weekend Danica! :)

3 Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) May 10, 2010 at 5:24 am

Glad someone else insists on having breakfast even if they aren’t hungry! SO many people tell me, “Well If I’m not hungry, I shouldn’t be eating anyway!” No. wrong. in this one instance. Your body needs fuel after 8 hours without it!!

Those enchiladas look awesome, I love enchies- I made some last week!

xo
K

4 Elina May 10, 2010 at 6:25 am

Those chicken enchiladas looks great – I’ve never had enchiladas actually but they always sound so good. I need to change that.
LOVED your buffalo chicken meatball recipe at Meals and Moves. Can’t wait to make it!! :)

5 Tina May 10, 2010 at 8:43 am

Yet another winner meal. I think the recipes you post are the majority of my Reader bookmarks. :)

6 liz May 10, 2010 at 10:08 am

The casserole looks delicious – I am definitely adding it to my to-try list. I agree with you about the enchilada sauce though I have a hard time finding that brand. There was another brand I liked a lot but can’t find anymore either, but I don’t remember the name. I like the TJ’s enchilada sauce pretty well but if I haven’t been to TJ’s lately I will use the Old El Paso that I can find everywhere and just doctor it with a little chipotle powder and maybe some onion/garlic powder to taste.

7 Michelle May 10, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Omg i love Frontera products (the restaurant rocks too!!) and I have that sauce! hhahahah It’s so funnny that you just happened to make enchiladas this weekend because my bf made pulled chicken in the slow cooker using that same sauce LAST weekend!! :P I know, its a ghetto recipe, but you gotta use what you have right? :)

YUM! i’m sure it was amazing!!

8 janetha May 11, 2010 at 9:14 am

yum! mexican will always be #1 in my culinary book of life :)

9 Alicia May 13, 2010 at 8:24 am

YUM! Looks delish!

10 Sara June 26, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Do you know the recipe for the balsamic glaze marinade? Oh my this if my fav dish from BJs ever!! I love it! Any tips to re create that will make my day!