Simple Start Day 1

by DanicasDaily on January 5, 2014

Happy Sunday all!  Thank you all for the get well wishes ~ we are both slowly making are way past this flu bug.  The part that is ironic to me is that I had a flu shot, but, still managed to get the flu.  It feels good to finally have things settle down a bit so I can get back in my groove.  That being said, the “one positive” of this flu, I lost 3 lbs. at weigh in today ~ woohoo!

I had all these ideas in my head for how I’d start following the Weight Watchers Two Week Simple Start Plan with today not totally being as I planned. Partly because we were on the go today and partly because my appetite is still not there.

For the next two weeks, I’ll follow Simple Start with my spin on it ~ it won’t be 100% by the book or go 100% as planned.  I think that is a good thing though because I want to show you all how you can make Simple Start adaptable when things do not go as planned.

Since I still have sick brain, I left the house without having or packing up breakfast.  No worries though because I found an easy solution at Starbuck’s that matches the Hot Oats with Berries and Milk in the book.

You could just order the steel cut oats with blueberries (if they have them) ~ this would fit Simple Start or pick any of the mix-in’s to use your Indulgence points (WPA) on.

I picked using the dried fruit ~ 2/3 of the packet for 2 WPA served up with an iced nonfat latte with caramel drizzle on top (yep, latte’s are 100% Simple Start!).

Funny fact ~ I did remember to pack apples to take with us for snack as we spent a few hours walking around the Alameda Antique faire Smile

The Husband bribed me into going with him to the fair with promises of sushi at Yokoso Sushi!

The only thing is I just am not ready yet to eat sushi….but, I knew exactly what I wanted.

Miso Soup

Their simple sesame side salad ~ I used 2 WPA for the dressing ~ worth it!

Green tea……

Plus a Teriyaki Chicken Bento Box ~ it’s huge huh?!  Don’t worry, I ate only what I wanted until satisfied.

I had half this teriyaki chicken which is Simple Start and similar to the teriyaki chicken & veggie bowl in the book.

I ate all the edamame and finished with my half a orange – both Simple Start.

If you wanted to indulge, you could use your Indulgence Points+ on the California Rolls ~ 1 points+ a piece or the veggie eggrolls (4 points+ but not worth it to me).

This is the half of the box I focused on which is Simple Start.  Ideally, they would serve it up with brown rice, however after asking they did not have it.  White & Brown rice have the same calories and points+.  I ate 1/3 of the rice.

It is now dinner time and I am still not really hungry so I am waiting to decide if I will eat dinner or just have a light snack.  The Husband grilled up corn, green beans and these fantastic pork chops.  This would be using the build a meal feature picking Simply Filling Foods out from the list.

All in all, I am glad with how my day went and with the options I picked to make the plan work.  I managed to use my 7 WPA and it didn’t take much to do that.  2 on the dried fruit, 2 on the dressing, 3 on the 3 pieces of sushi.

Here are my stats for today:

• Simple Start Day 1 Success, 7 WPA used, 42 WPA remaining
  • The most steps I’ve walked in the past week!

QUESTION OF THE DAY:

What is one fun thing you did this weekend?

Abigail January 5, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Danica,
I had a question about your latte, did you count any points for the caramel drizzle or have you before Simple Start?

DanicasDaily January 5, 2014 at 9:06 pm

Hi Abigail,

I only get the drizzle on the top and according to Starbuck’s Nutrition Facts this is 20 calories, 0 points+. Therefore, I typically do not count it unless the barista gets a little heavy handed on putting the caramel drizzle on.

Thanks,

Abigail January 5, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, I was just wondering. :-) I love their caramel drizzle, I bet it adds just the right sweetness to the latte. I’ll have to try it!

Ellen January 12, 2014 at 12:24 pm

Question for you with the fit bit do you have to sleep with it on? does it mess with the stats at all.

DanicasDaily January 13, 2014 at 10:10 am

Hi Ellen,

You do not have to sleep with the fitbit flex on, however, I do and it does not bother me. You can set it to sleep mode and wake up mode each day and it is comfortable on your wrist so you do not really notice it.

Thanks,

Elyse January 5, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Hi Danica,

I recently discovered your blog and am on my first week of simple start! :) Thanks for all the information and I can’t wait to keep reading!

Jeanette Skipper January 5, 2014 at 10:45 pm

What do you use to keep those stats and charts of your activities?

DanicasDaily January 6, 2014 at 9:55 am

Hi Jeanette,

I have a fitbit flex and love it! Here is a post I did awhile back that explains all the things it does – it’s awesome. The tracker I posted above is on their website and updates whenever you sync.

Thanks,

Mary January 6, 2014 at 9:23 pm

I have a Fitbit force. My hubby bought for me at Christmas. I’ve worn it since dec 31.

Gail H. January 6, 2014 at 3:46 am

Question Danica: are you using the phone app? I downloaded it when it first came out, but didn’t use, now I’m thinking about trying it again…just wondering what your thoughts are on it? OK, so you know what my favorite thing is about what you do? It’s showing us that it can be done using everyday food’s and not depriving ourselves…I’m working on that control you have :)

DanicasDaily January 6, 2014 at 9:57 am

Hi Gail,

Thanks for the nice comment. You know, I’ve so far used the Simple Start app for the meal ideas/recommendations, but, use my regular tracker for tracking. I find it easier to use the regular tracker for tracking as it has more foods/options and the quick add feature when you build a meal. The app is still really cool though :)

Thanks,

Melanie January 6, 2014 at 7:19 am

Great post on Simple Start! I’m ready to start it myself. So glad you’re back blogging…always look forward to your posts!!!! Your blog rocks! ????????

Linda January 6, 2014 at 9:45 am

Been following you for years, love your post and your pics are wonderful.I live in a small town in Mississippi hard to get to our weekly meetings so any new info I get from you!! Thanks have not had a chance to get to a meeting on Simple Start yet!!! Love your blog and how real you are!!

Jen January 6, 2014 at 10:43 am

In our crash course for SS, it was explained we don’t get the 49 WPA, but instead use or lose 7 indulgence points each day. Is this part of your tweaking the SS system? Feel better soon!

DanicasDaily January 6, 2014 at 11:11 am

Hi Jen,

The 7 Indulgence Points/WPA are your Weekly Points Allowance (WPA) – the 49 extra points (divded by 7 days) you get each week to use for non-Simply Filling/Simple Start Foods. Weight Watchers is trying to encourage everyone to indulge every day versus saving them up and using them all at one time which is why they recommend using 7 WPA per day. When you switch to Simply Filling you can use them however you like, but, no more than 49 in total for the week. This is just another method for using them. On day 1, I used 7 WPA per day. I am not sure why they would say you lose them, I’ll have to look that one up as I have not heard of that at all.

Thanks,

Kathy Salido January 6, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Thanks for sharing your day 1 of simple start with us!! One fun thing I did this weekend was going to the Farmer’s Market yesterday and shopping for all the items I needed to start with Simply Start :)