Happy Weekend all! I had to do some work this morning, but, didn’t want to break to eat even though I had pretty much had like 3 cups of coffee. I finally gave in and asked The Husband if he would make breakfast for us. He all too eagerly accepted the “challenge” as he calls it. I should’ve known he had an idea in his head….
Yep, he went all out this time on designing my Healthy Egg Roll (SF + 1 WPA) – 5 points+
He seriously cracks me up with his drawings every time ~ this one came with “fanciful” strawberries too.
We ended up meeting up with one of our friends for lunch today at Mary’s Pizza Shack. Some days Mary’s is so incredibly delicious and today was that day. It may have been the fact that I knew exactly what I wanted and went with it.
Salad with real deal ranch fork dipped on the side (SF + 4 WPA) – 4 points+
and a Mushroom Slice! (SF + 8 WPA) – 8 points+
This totally hit the spot. I was thinking during lunch that pizza might just be the only food I put down between bites to savor.
My Weight Watcher’s leader makes these amazing “tortillas” that are so simple ~ they include eggs + asparagus (like this) or potato + egg. I am not sure what she does, but, there is something so amazing about her tortillas. I crave them and when I cannot get her to make them….I venture out and try to make it. The thing is….some things just never taste as good as they do when some makes them for you.
Tonight’s dinner came in a pretty close second. The thing I love about “tortillas” is that it does not require the oven like frittatas and all the veggies are nice & crisp. My version includes sweet red onion, crispy Yukon gold potatoes with crunchy asparagus, eggs and a little hot sauce to kick it up a notch.
SIMPLY FILLING ASPARAGUS & POTATO TORTILLA (print it!)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided in half
- 5 oz. Yukon gold potato, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lb. asparagus cut into 1 inch pieces
- 8 eggs
- 1/4 cup fat free milk
- a few dashes of hot sauce
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
1. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 Tbsp. of the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and potato in a single layer. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Brown on one side, about 3-4 minutes, flip and brown on the other until the onion is soft and the potatoes are crispy. Remove the potatoes from the pan and set aside.
2. In the same pan, add the remaining olive and asparagus. Sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper, sautéing for about 4-5 minutes until the asparagus is crisp, tender. Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool for a few minutes while you whisk together the eggs with milk, hot sauce and a little sea salt and pepper.
3. Return the pan to medium low heat. Add the potatoes to the pan with the asparagus and create in a flat layer. Pour the egg mixture over the top. As the egg firms up, lift the eggs of the tortilla and tilt the pan to allow the liquid egg to go to the bottom of the pan. Once the egg is just about cooked, place a large pan or plate on the top to cover and flip the tortilla onto the pan. Gently slide it back into the skillet to finish cooking the other side. Slice and enjoy!
Makes 8 slices, 100% Simply Filling or 3 points+ each
Nutritional information per slice calculated at caloriecount.com
STEP – BY – STEP:
“Fry” your potatoes and onions until brown and crispy, about 3-4 minutes per side.
You may have to slip a few times to get as many browned as you can…this process makes the onions and potatoes super sweet and a little crispy.
Set the potatoes aside.
In the same pan, add the remaining olive oil and sauté the asparagus until crisp tender, about 4-5 minutes.
Be sure to season with a little salt and pepper as this is the one chance to get flavor into your asparagus.
Remove the pan from the heat, add the potato and set aside to allow it to cool before adding in the eggs.
Pour the eggs over the asparagus and potato mix and cook over medium low until the tortilla is firm and the bottom is slightly browned.
Cover with a large plate or pan….I find it easy to just grab a cookie sheet because it leaves me with a lot of room to be accurate in my flip
Flip…then, gently slide back into the pan to finish cooking the other side, about 2-3 minutes.
Slice into 8 wedges in the pan or move to a cutting board to slice.
It’s thin, it’s crispy and crunchy from the asparagus followed up with delicious “fried” potatoes and eggs….this is definitely one of the best tortillas I’ve made so far.
I added a little kale on the side to get my greens in for the day.
Yep, I totally went back for another tortilla slice. (SF) – 6 points+
Here are my stats today:
- Simple Filling (SF): 13 WPA (Weekly Points Allowance) used, 0 WPA remaining
- 23 Daily Points+ 0 WPA used, 35 WPA remaining
- My FitBit Dashboard:
QUESTION OF THE DAY:
Have you ever made a “tortilla” or frittata”? What do you add to yours?