Strawberry Mini Muffins w/Strawberry “Cream Cheese”, 1 points+

by DanicasDaily on February 15, 2012

This is a recipe is a healthy spin on my favorite Strawberry Muffin recipes.  You can easily slice up and freeze fresh Farmer’s Market Strawberries in the summer and make these delicious strawberry mini muffin bites that melt in your mouth in the winter.  These muffins are delicious when served warm with Homemade Strawberry Butter or make them even healthier with Homemade “Mock” Strawberry Cream Cheese.

STRAWBERRY MINI MUFFINS WITH STRAWBERRY “CREAM CHEESE” (print it!)

INGREDIENTS

• 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp Baking Powder
  • 3/4 tsp Salt
  • 12 oz frozen sliced strawberries, thawed and undrained **
  • 1/4 cup 0% Plain Greek Yogurt
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 2 Large Eggs

** NOTE: You can make your own version of frozen strawberries by taking 12 oz fresh strawberries (about 1 1/2 cups) and halve them. Place the strawberries in a ziploc bag and add 6 tablespoons of sugar and 2 tablespoons of water. Seal the bag and slightly crush the berries by smashing them a little. Shake to mix and allow to stand until sugar dissolves.

INSTRUCTIONS

1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2.  Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add strawberries, yogurt, eggs and oil until blended. Spoon batter into greased muffin pans (can use muffin liners), filling 2/3’s full.

3.  Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove from pan immediately.

4.  Serve warm with Homemade Strawberry Butter or chilled with Strawberry “Cream Cheese”.

Makes 48 MINI Muffins, 1 points+ each

Nutritional information per muffin calculated using caloriecount.com

These muffins are delicious as is, but, sometimes, the toppers make them even better.  Pick and choose your favorite to serve it up or be like me and make both because you cannot decide which one you want!

STRAWBERRY BUTTER

• 1/2 cup Butter, Softened
  • 2 Tbsp Strawberry Jam

INSTRUCTIONS

Just before serving, beat butter and jam until light, fluffy and blended.

Makes 30 tsp, 1 points+ per tsp

STRAWBERRY “CREAM CHEESE”

• 1 cup 0% Greek Yogurt, drain
  • 2 Tbsp Strawberry Jam

INSTRUCTIONS

1.  Strain yogurt in a strainer lined with cheese cloth, overnight, about 24 hours.  If desired, strain jam at the same time to remove addition water.

2.  Whisk everything together for the perfect cream cheese substitute.

NOTE: If you would like your cream cheese thicker, simply strain in the fridge again.

Makes 3/4 cup or Six 2 Tbsp servings, 0 points+ each

Kat February 15, 2012 at 11:20 pm

thanks for sharing! I have all the ingredients! I’ll make them in the morning!

Annie February 16, 2012 at 7:52 am

In step 2 of the muffin recipe, you say to add milk. I think you meant the yogurt?

These look divine. I’ll be making them for the weekend!

DanicasDaily February 17, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Thank you Annie, I fixed that.

Jenn February 16, 2012 at 7:57 am

can you use fresh strawberries?

DanicasDaily February 17, 2012 at 10:26 pm

HI Jenn,

Yes, you can use fresh strawberries, here is how.

barbara February 16, 2012 at 8:49 am

Curious how they’d work out with wholewheat flour and splenda instead of sugar.

DanicasDaily February 17, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Hi Barbara,

I bet that it would work great using both.

barbara February 16, 2012 at 8:49 am

Curious how they’d work out with wholewheat flour and splenda instead of sugar.

Victoria Salv February 16, 2012 at 9:01 am

Hi Danica!

I’ve been pumped to try this recipe ever since you mentioned them I’m getting sick of eggs. However, I don’t seem to have a mini muffin tin.. do you have any idea how many “mini’s” = a regular muffin or cupcake tin. I have cupcake ones not the giant muffin tins.

Thanks!

barbara February 16, 2012 at 11:08 am

Victoria, 2 mini muffins to one regular muffin.

Christina February 16, 2012 at 11:54 am

My 3.5 yr old will flip for these. She is all about strawberries! I can’t wait to try them myself!

Victoria Salv February 16, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Thanks Barbara! I was guessing it was either 2 or 3 but wasn’t sure!!

Elyse February 16, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Hi Danica
They really look delicious!
One question: The frozen strawberries contain sugar right because in your recipe to make them from fresh fruit, you add sugar.
Have you tried making them from frozen strawberries that don<t contain sugar?

DanicasDaily February 17, 2012 at 10:29 pm

HI Elyse,

You know, I have not, but, I bet you could easily use unsweetened strawberries, then, add additional sugar if you felt it was needed or not. You might need to mash the fresh strawberries so they get juicy first.