Simple Start Day 6, Fill up on the good stuff

by DanicasDaily on January 10, 2014

Happy Friday all!  From the sounds of all you have planned, you are just as excited as me that the weekend is finally here.  One of the best pieces of advice I ever got from one of my doctor’s is to fill your day up with all the good stuff (think lots of veggies, fruits, lean meat, fat free dairy) that you do not have very much room for the not so good stuff.  He said this is how he balances his days out because if you fill your stomach up with all that healthy stuff, you literally do not have very much room left.

Ever since he told me that, I’ve tried to make an effort to fill half my plate with fruits and/or veggies (the good stuff) and treat my protein and carbs as “sides” along with one “treat” think non-Simple Start/Simply Filling foods.

That’s my random thought for today and explains a little about my day today and the times when I say I balance out my meal with a salad or something like that for good measure.  I am also pretty sure he would be shocked I actually listened to him all those years ago and still follow his advice lol.

Breakfast was totally on the go today….packed up and eaten in the office once I arrived.

1 cup shredded mini sweets with a sprinkle of cinnamon ~ balanced out with a banana and some blackberries for staying power and 1 cup of fat free milk. (SS/SF) – 6 points+

My motivation for taking breakfast togo was to allow enough time for Starbucks! Grande nonfat latte with caramel drizzle on top. (SS/SF) – 3 points+

This kept me going all morning and then some for a total of 5 hours before I realized I was hungry.

I had pondered this morning whether I was going to go out to lunch today or pack it.  I knew The Husband wanted to go out to dinner so I decided to whip up one of my favorite goto lunches when I cannot think of anything else to eat ~ Crunchy, Tuna Salad!

I always include celery + onion, then, decide if I have any other veggies I want to add in like bell pepper, carrots, pickles or what not.

Pick your favorite albacore tuna packed in water.

Drained, then, sprinkled with garlic salt, black pepper and dill.

At the point, you can choose to use 0% Greek Yogurt for the mayo, or fat free/light mayo or a combination of the two.  The Greek Yogurt & fat free mayo are simple start along with a dash of mustard for good measure.

I take half the mix and top it one of three ways:

• lettuce boats, mixed greens or on top of reduced cal bread(SS/SF)
  • Crackers (counts points+)
  • Delicious, nutty, multi-grain bread for 2 points+ a slice!

Served up with a side of cucumber “chips”.

“Fish & Chips” for (SS/SF + 2 WPA) or 5 points+

I filled up on the good stuff by adding in a Power to the Greens salad topped with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar. (SS/FF) – 1 points+ for 1 tsp. olive oil

When I walked in the door tonight, we decided it was time to try that dinner and a movie thing again.  The Husband picked Apple Bee’s for their Weight Watcher’s entrees Winking smile

The thing is, none of them really sounded good to me so I picked a 550 calorie or less dish that was Simple Start like.

I started with a side salad with all the fixin’s and real deal ranch on the side.  I ended up handing over the croutons to The Husband because they were not worth it to me.  But, the bacon, cheese and ranch totally made this like a BLT salad. SS/SF + 6 WPA, 6 points+

My main dish ~ the Napa Chicken with Portabella Mushrooms, Zucchini, Red Peppers and Roasted Potatoes.  It was all the veggies that made me want to try this dish.

It was ok ~ I ate all the veggies and 1/3 of the chicken/potatoes.

(SS/SF) 5 points+ rounded up for 1/3 of the dish.

So, we decided to watch a movie in because The Husband is coughing and not feeling well still. One day, we will get out to see Anchorman 2! Smile

Here are my stats for today:

• Simple Start Day 6 Success, 8 WPA used, 10 WPA remaining
  • 26 Daily Points+, WPA used & WPA remaining will be added next week

Let the weekend begin!

Gail H. January 11, 2014 at 4:25 am

You almost make we want to like tuna :) Don’t waste $$ on Anchorman 2…geez we hated it :( Can you believe after all the rain we’ve had I woke up to rain AGAIN this morning! And I was hoping for a sunny week-end! My pork cb arrived yesterday…love, love, love it!! Thank you again :)

Sherri January 19, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Does the flavored 0 fat 80 calories Greek yogurt count as optional points when following simple start?

Melanie January 11, 2014 at 8:10 am

Looks like you are doing great with Simple Start! You are always so positive…you make me want to go back to WW…but just tired of paying for it and not reaching goal..even though I had great success before????. I want to love it and embrace it like you seem to do. So glad you’re blogging again! ????

Randi January 12, 2014 at 10:38 am

I have a 50% off ( 6 months monthly pass) coupon that I can forward to whoever wants it.

Melanie January 12, 2014 at 11:02 am

Are you kidding?? Wow…I would love to have it if still available. I’ve ALWAYS wanted to make goal and lifetime. This has really been bugging me.

Randi January 12, 2014 at 8:09 pm

please email me at Randi66@gmail.com and I can forward you the coupon.

Rachel January 19, 2014 at 2:28 am

Randi, do you still have that coupon available??? I would love to get my hands on that one. Please email me if you don’t mind, rmwarner85@yahoo.com. Thanks ;)

Terri January 11, 2014 at 8:51 am

I am glad you are blogging again, I enjoy reading it. I like the advice
your doctor gave you, I will have to try it. Do you find it easier to lose weight on
the Simply Filling plan than the points plan? I have been thinking of going back to WW but can’t decide which program to follow.

Theresa January 11, 2014 at 9:22 am

Love your tuna idea! And I had the Napa chicken entree at Applebee’s the other night after my sister’s courthouse wedding…and counted 11 points for it and had the tomato basil soup….

Nita January 11, 2014 at 9:59 am

Great post…can’t believe how much food that is, lol! The big thing that keeps hitting me on weight watchers is how much I can eat and how little I need to eat at the same time. An oddly satisfying dichotomy.

Peggy January 11, 2014 at 11:38 am

Your tuna salad open-faced sandwich looked delicious. It seems like half the country is battling this “virus” that is plaguing you and your husband. I got sick Christmas Day, went to the doctor’s last Friday and put on medication, still not feeling well although not coughing as much but I’m going back to the doctor on Monday. Sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. Hope everyone who is sick starts feeling better soon.

Ann January 11, 2014 at 12:04 pm

I am so glad that I found your blog. My hubby joined online and I am following along. I can’t believe how food you have when you make the tuna with so many veggies and put on bread thin halves and usually have fruit salad with it and my water. We keep fruit salad made up all the time and I add half a banana to my bowl when I have it. I/we love Simple Start. We have both counted in past but love Simple Start as it is so Simple! Monday we weigh in as it will be end of first week. I know I will be asking for help to transition to Simply Filling! Are there more foods added…are there still 7 points for indulgences and are there more menu plans already planned. But guess I should do the next week before I worry about that!

Sandra January 11, 2014 at 6:57 pm

This is my first time to read your blog…thanks for the motivation. That’s how I make tuna salad….so yummy with the veggies. Never tried Greek yogurt on it…will now!!

CassieJ January 12, 2014 at 6:55 am

Fish & Chips….hehehehe. That was a good one. Tuna is my go to lunch as well when I’m on the run or don’t have leftovers. Now I need to add your “chip” idea for a proper fish & chip lunch ;-) Also I made your funny hamburgers this weekend. LOVE them!! Thanks for the motivation and sharing!!!